You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-24 06:43:04

janpansa

[SOLVED] Keyboard an mouse not working after fresh install

Backstory

My hardware:
Mobo: Gigabyte X99 2011v3 with UEFI and dual bios.
GFX: MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming OC
HDD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
CPU: intel 5820k

I had some issues installing arch with UEFI. You can read my post here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1505461 . However, I tried again, following the arch beginners install guide to the bone and also sorted out the issue by booting with acpi=off . Now I get to a login screen.

Problem

After a fresh install of arch, I get to the login screen but no input is working.
I followed the arch installation guide precisely and did not install anything else. (The arch beginners guide says nothing )

I now present to the board, exhibit A:

34rtvsz.jpg
https://picoolio.net/images/2015/02/23/ … 033795.jpg

These are the symptoms.
- No Keyboard works. (PS/2 , USB).
- No mouse works. (PS/2, USB).
- Cannot switch to other tty terminals, probably as a result of keyboard not working.

What I have tried so far

- I booted using the live disc and did an arch-chroot (after mounting root, boot and home partitions).
- I then installed x86-input-keyboard and also x86-input-mouse, thinking that this would solve the problem. (Restarted -> same problem)
- I then tried the following

pacman -S xorg-server xorg-server-utils xorg-xinit xorg-twm xorg-xclock xterm

and restarted. This did not work and the same problem persisted.

- Then I tried, as I have a nvidia card, install mesa and my nvidia driver:

pacman -S mesa

and

sudo pacman -S nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils

then I tried the following:

pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics

and also installed my DE and DM:

pacman -S cinnamon gdm

and then enabled gdm.service.

and restarted.

- Since I installed Cinnamon and gdm, I was now presented with a gnome login screen, which looks perfect, however, still no input/keyboard/mouse and the same problem persisted.

then I tried the following:

nvidia-xconfig

this generated a new Xorg.conf file and when I looked into the file, there were settings for default keyboard and mouse input devices.

I then did the following:

- checked if there were any xinitrc files or folders or hidden files/folders to delete them, but there was none.
- I also reinstalled xorg-server and all the previously installed input libraries, e.g. xf86-input... Same problem still persisted.

TL;DR

I basically have a perfect arch install running without any issues, except no input devices are working.

SOLVED

I fixed it ! After 6 days, I found out what the problem was. Turns out that my motherboard is still a bit new. X99-UD4 Gigabyte 2011-v3 with dual bios UEFI.

Instead of using this

acpi=off

use this

nolapic

for kernel boot options. Now everything boots fine, no errors and most importantly, input for keyboard and mouse works. Also, my gdm login screen did not start right off the bat, I had to go to tty2 and restart it, because my SSD boots too fast :-)

Anycase, hope this helps someone !

UPDATE

I suggest you rather use this, if it works, since this will ensure that all your cpu cores are detected ! big_smile

noapic pci=assign-busses apicmaintimer idle=poll reboot=cold,hard 

Last edited by janpansa (2015-02-26 21:07:46)

#2 2015-02-24 06:53:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard an mouse not working after fresh install

To be clear, you have no input in X: in TTY it works fine?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=186946

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-02-24 06:55:44

janpansa

jasonwryan wrote:

To be clear, you have no input in X: in TTY it works fine?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=186946

I have no input anywhere. Please see exhibit A above. That is how my arch looks like after a fresh install.

- It shows arch login and tty1, however, it does not allow me to type anything or move to another tty terminal.

#4 2015-02-24 06:58:20

nullified

Is there anything in the logs? boot up the live disk and check

Last edited by nullified (2015-02-24 06:59:08)

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#5 2015-02-24 07:00:35

janpansa

@jasonwryan

this is how it looks after I installed cinnamon and gdm. However, still, no input, cannot swithc tty terminals. Nothing. I also tried pluggin in a PS/2 keyboard mouse and doing it before and after os has booted.

See exhibit B:

2hycqkk.jpg
https://picoolio.net/images/2015/02/24/ … 31bba5.jpg

#6 2015-02-24 07:09:11

janpansa

nullified wrote:

Is there anything in the logs? boot up the live disk and check

@nullified

I am at work for the next 7 hours, where after I will post the log files.

I did go through them last night and saw something in the Xorg.0.log file that read something like "Input configuration detected but not for this device." Or something like that. Will be able to post in 7 hours. Please just subscribe to the thread.

EDIT:

Also, please let me know if you want to see specific log files so that I can grab them. Thx

EDIT2:

My friend referred me to this post https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … -uefi-bios, suggesting to add to the boot options  iommu=soft or iommu=pt. I will also try this tonight, however I have no setting in my bios for this.

EDIT 3:

I remember there was a setting in the bios for usb support. UEFI only , legacy or auto. I think it was on uefi only while I was installing arch. I am going to try all the different settings and see if that makes a difference tonight.

Last edited by janpansa (2015-02-24 09:14:20)

#7 2015-02-24 19:14:35

janpansa

I am on the verge of installing linux mint sad sad

I figured out by reading my systemd journal files that the problem lies with ehci-pci and irq.

Please see the screenshot of the journal file here:
http://www.pixentral.com/pics/18lE7YSkd … wAMuH1.jpg

I have trie the following boot options:

pci=nomsi

Help please

#8 2015-02-24 22:34:35

janpansa

I gave up. I am using mint now. Linux Mint 17.1 in UEFI mode no problems. I will miss arch.

#9 2015-02-25 21:04:32

janpansa

I fixed it !

I installed linux mint, but then I was just so disgusted I wanted to puke. Apt-get, old software ... old software everywhere. In any case.

Since acpi=off worked to let me boot but did not allow keyboard inputs, I decided to toubleshoot acpi further and found out that the actual option I was looking for is nolapic.

LAPIC "The "local" version is called "LAPIC". What this controller can do is be set up to generate and handle interrupts, a signal the hardware uses to pass messages. "

For some reason, it seems like my bios has compatibility issues with this. Hopefully, I was able to help someone else who has an X99 chipset with Uefi/Dual Bios.

And I must say, it is an absolute pleasure to be back on vanilla arch !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

Board footer