You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-24 08:47:01

carongangoo

ARCHISO does not generate ISO

Hi everybody !

Happy to write to you all even if it's a more frustrating issue : I am unable to generate a replica of my archlinux os in form of an .iso file !

First of all , please note that I've installed archlinux on a laptop hdd in an usb casing  while I have mint 17 64 bit Quiana operating on my laptop. I am actually operating and working on archlinux working pretty fast, so that's ok.

I followed installation steps as detailed on youtube ( more simple for a newbie like me ) .

First of all I installed archiso either by downloading latest version from AUR and then running "makepkg" to build archiso-while not forgetting to install dependancies-OR i downloaded it with yaourt. I suspect archiso installation not to be properly done but I am unable to wipe out previous setup of archiso and I really don't want to reformat my partition ....

As a user , I create a /livecd/ folder as working directory

Then I run the sudo cd -r /usr/share/archiso/configs/releng/*  ~/livecd/

I check the content of ~/livecd/ and  folders are there ok

I edit ~/livecd/packages.both by adding at the end " base-devel ( when I installed on hdd, I used the command " base base-devel"...),bash-completion,  libreoffice, ogmrip, wine, xorg, xfce4 etc....

As user and always in ~/livecd I edited mkinitcpio.conf and build.sh to erase ".pxe" and "i686".

I edited customize_airootfs.sh to update locale

I create a pacman.conf by copying from my own system

Finally I run " sudo ./build.sh -v "

Long process to finally generate a .20 mb .img !

Can you help please ?

Caron

Last edited by carongangoo (2015-02-24 08:50:33)

#2 2015-02-24 12:13:24

mauritiusdadd

Re: ARCHISO does not generate ISO

Hi carongangoo,

carongangoo wrote:

I followed installation steps as detailed on youtube ( more simple for a newbie like me ) .

first of all, please follow only the ArchWiki instructions instead of a $random_youtube_video because most of them are outdated or simply wrong.

carongangoo wrote:

I installed archiso either by downloading latest version from AUR and then running "makepkg" to build archiso-while not forgetting to install dependancies-OR i downloaded it with yaourt

Why? The last stable version of archiso is available in the official [extra] repository.

pacman -Ss archiso
extra/archiso 20-1 [installed]
    Tools for creating Arch Linux live and install iso images
carongangoo wrote:

I suspect archiso installation not to be properly done but I am unable to wipe out previous setup of archiso and I really don't want to reformat my partition

Why do you think that the archiso installation went wrong? Also you don't need to reformat your partition: if you want to uninstall archiso, just do

pacman -Rs archiso
carongangoo wrote:

As user and always in ~/livecd I edited mkinitcpio.conf and build.sh to erase ".pxe" and "i686".

I think this may be the culprit, if you edit the build script without knowing what are you doing then Bad Things™ will happen, also because archiso is intended to build dual-arch iso . Please, try to use the default build script first and see if it works. Note also that the generated ISO file is located in the $builddir/out directory, where $builddir is the directory containing the srcipt build.sh.

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-02-24 12:14:21)

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#3 2015-02-24 22:37:13

carongangoo

Hi again,

And thank you so much for your precious advices . I have been following the archwiki steps and I am having issues :

- when I start ./build.sh -v , mkarchiso fails to find multilib.db " failed retreiving file from mirrors" ERROR WHILE mu internet is fully operational....
-when I edited packages.*, I didn't include " base-devel and bash-completion" .Was I right ?
-When running mkarchiso, setup asks if base packages must be installed and I said NO : Was I again right?

I am a bit puzzed because archiso seems to be building an i686 system because it created a folder in /archlive/work/i686 but I've got a  main 64-bits and I run main  os - like mint 17 quiana 64 bits smoothly.
If it's truely an i686 , will archiso still work ?

Regards

Caron

Last edited by carongangoo (2015-02-24 22:43:46)

#4 2015-02-25 08:57:01

qinohe

Don't use videos, most of us won't check that.
Building your ISO with archiso, dual i686 or x86_64 will succeed, just follow the wiki.
I do agree with mauritiusdadd, build your first ISO with the unedited files, you get a dual ISO, but at least see it works.
Then start editing the build files to make it x86_64 only.
Btw. you can't, of course, live without the base packages, you need them!

edit: @mauritiusdadd #5, no problem, you went a little deeper explaining things... wink

Last edited by qinohe (2015-02-25 09:20:55)

#5 2015-02-25 09:02:54

mauritiusdadd

carongangoo wrote:

when I start ./build.sh -v , mkarchiso fails to find multilib.db " failed retreiving file from mirrors" ERROR WHILE mu internet is fully operational....

It works fine for me. Probably it is trying to sync the [multilib] repository for the i686 architecture (winch obviously exists only for the x86_64 arch). If you want to use [multilib], first reset the building process using the following command

rm -R $builddir/work

(where $builddir is the directory containing the srcipt build.sh), and make sure to follow exactly the procedure described here this section of the wiki.

carongangoo wrote:

when I edited packages.*, I didn't include " base-devel and bash-completion" .Was I right ?

It depends, if you don't want that packages to be installed, then you're right.

carongangoo wrote:

When running mkarchiso, setup asks if base packages must be installed and I said NO : Was I again right?

I think it is better if you install at least the base group.

carongangoo wrote:

I am a bit puzzed because archiso seems to be building an i686 system because it created a folder in /archlive/work/i686 but I've got a  main 64-bits and I run main  os - like mint 17 quiana 64 bits smoothly.
If it's truely an i686 , will archiso still work ?

Quoting myself

mauritiusdadd wrote:

archiso is intended to build dual-arch iso.

I think a bit of clarification is needed: the script build.sh by default generates a dual-arch ISO file independently of your system architecture, that means once you mastered the image you can boot the resulting live media on both i686 and x86_64 machines. Take your time to analyze the script and once you'll get familiar with the building process, you could edit it according to your needs (but beware that it runs whit the administrative privileges, so be careful).

-- EDIT --

Ooops, cross posted with qinohe, sorry smile

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-02-25 09:06:28)

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#6 2015-03-01 09:17:02

carongangoo

Hi again !

This time I tried to edit few files such as pacman.* copied to pacmanx86_64 and pacmani686, changing locales in customize_airfootfs.sh while not editing other main files like mkinintcpio.conf or build.sh .
A folder    iso is generated in /archlive/releng/work/
Now I'm getting the "COM32 error , menu c32 file " issue and usb does notboot
I am trying actually to copy menu.c32, libutil.c32, vesamenu.c32,  libcom32.c32 from /usr/lib to the iso folder mentionned above.

Any advice ?

Caron

#7 2015-03-01 09:26:55

qinohe

carongangoo wrote:

Any advice ?

Caron

Yes. build your ISO with the 'releng' files only, don't edit anything and see if it builds, than start editing files.

#8 2015-03-01 14:48:48

carongangoo

This is what i've done by using " cp -r /usr/share/archiso/configs/releng/ ~/archlive ". But ok, I am trying not to edit anything at all and willkeep u posted.
Thank you so much for your patience.

Caron

#9 2015-03-01 17:24:32

carongangoo

Hi !

I succeded in  creating a bootable iso  live that boot in a  Arch Vm hosted by mint 17 Quiana 64 bits. However the same usb  does not boot due to " COM32 missing "  .Is it because I created the live usb with unetbootin ?
I'll figure it out. But I want to create  an iso of my arch os installed and customized on my external usb laptop hdd. So what files must I edit and in what order
-must I edit packages both , add a space and then add base-devel,libreoffice, ogmrip etc.....
-must I copy the package file to packagei686 and packagex86_64.
-must i edit mkinitcpio.conf and erase "pxe"
-must i edit build.sh and add i686 script lines ( as in the wiki ) ?
- how to edit customize_airootfs.sh

Thank you very much again and again !

Caron

#10 2015-03-01 19:42:17

mauritiusdadd

carongangoo wrote:

However the same usb  does not boot due to " COM32 missing "  .Is it because I created the live usb with unetbootin ?

Try to use dd instead of unetbootin.

About me - github

#11 2015-03-01 22:33:48

carongangoo

Hi again !

Iso bootable ok when I created it with usb creator in Mint 17 Quiana. Now to obtain a fully customized achiso - almost same as my system, what are the most important steps u would advice me to take ?

Regards

Caron

#12 2015-03-02 06:46:30

mauritiusdadd

carongangoo wrote:

what are the most important steps u would advice me to take ?

In my opinion, there are only few key points you should keep in mind:

1. Edit the script build.sh in order to obtain an x86_64 only image. The easiest way to achieve this is to remove the word i686 from the for loops:
    for example, change

for arch in i686 x86_64; do

to

for arch in x86_64; do
  2. Note that when you boot the live system, the boot loader will still display a useless i686 entry. If you want to avoid this you have to modify the boot loader configuration.

3. After you get a working x86_64 image, edit the mkinitcpio.conf to remove the pxe part. You should obtain something like this

HOOKS="base udev memdisk archiso_shutdown archiso archiso_loop_mnt archiso_kms block pcmcia filesystems keyboard"
    COMPRESSION="xz"
  4. If you want to enable the [multilib] repository, just add it in pacman.conf.

5. Finally you can start adding you custom packages: since this is a x86_64 image only, you can just edit only the file packages.both

PS: Be sure to test the image after every modification so it will be easier for you to track down eventual problems.

About me - github

#13 2015-03-02 15:39:43

carongangoo

Thank you !

Superb advice !
Will keep u posted

Caron

#14 2015-03-02 17:57:46

carongangoo

Hi seems working because Iso is generated BUT I SKIPPED the step of CUSTOMIZING PACKAGES.BOTH. Must I install
-base devel
-bash completion

and all others like libreoffice , ogmrip , gimp, xorg -server (utils etc.... ), xfce4 ( and goodies ), gnome etc etc.... ?

Caron

#15 2015-03-02 18:07:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Install what you need. Please do not expect to continue to be spoonfed; try and work through issues yourself. Asking what packages to install on your system is tantamount to help vampirism.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#16 2015-03-02 18:22:06

carongangoo

Ok  you're right .Mauritiusdadd, Thanks for all and will keep the forum updated about issues met .

Caron

#17 2015-03-03 16:12:08

carongangoo

Hi,

Iso is generated but setup menu appears instead of a fully operational os . Keeping trying..

Caron

#18 2015-03-05 07:59:16

carongangoo

Hi !

I was able to modify only packages. both WHILE NOT EDITING ANY OTHER file and the iso was generated . I think that I should have edited build.sh and erase all x86_64 because iso is generated in i686.airootfs. I will try next to modify customize_airootfs_sh to add user. This is because I didn't erase " archie" user and I didn't add the other users .
I installed xorg and xfce4 but when usb live boots and i type " startx" , I get " no authorization " error .
Any comment , idea ?

Regards

Caron

#19 2015-03-06 03:51:43

carongangoo

Hi !

I was able to modify pacman.both but I noticed that when I add  " # " to the line where user is defined in /releng/airootfs/root/customize_airootfs.sh, I was able to generate an iso but when I tried to " startx" desktoop manager, nothing happened . I goggled and found that I had to edit ~xinitrc...
gonna to try it and regenerate again and again....

Caron

#20 2015-03-06 10:00:37

qinohe

Let me give you a tip, the 3 packages list are there for creating a dual ISO.
If you like to create a single arch. than include the packages in both to the one you want to create, and remove the others, of course you'll need to edit 'build.sh' to only create i686 or x86_64.

I guess you understand that user files can be added to 'etc/skel', in the same way you would add dot files to your own system.

#21 2015-03-06 19:13:04

carongangoo

hi !

My final aim is to create a arch live usb with almost the same softwares I've got on my desktop arch. I have just edited packages.both and ALL THE XINITRC in the archlive folder TO ENABLE XFCE4.
I had to comment the " USER LINE " in customize_airootfs.sh  WITHOUT EDITING ANY OTHER LINE  because otherwise ISO is not generated! I reach the Archmenu and choose the i686 and try to launch startX .... STLL NOTHING HAPPENS ..... a hell of frustratiooooon.

Any idea ?

Caron

#22 2015-03-06 19:41:34

qinohe

carongangoo wrote:

hi !

My final aim is to create a arch live usb with almost the same softwares I've got on my desktop arch. I have just edited packages.both and ALL THE XINITRC in the archlive folder TO ENABLE XFCE4.
I had to comment the " USER LINE " in customize_airootfs.sh  WITHOUT EDITING ANY OTHER LINE  because otherwise ISO is not generated! I reach the Archmenu and choose the i686 and try to launch startX .... STLL NOTHING HAPPENS ..... a hell of frustratiooooon.

It could take a while before you build a successfully booting ISO, but hey man lighten up it's a hobby, nobody is stuffing this down your throat I hope.

Any idea ?

Caron

Although I can imagine your frustration. No need tot shout, it don't help you solve 'your' problem, and you probably attract less people reading it.

#23 2015-03-07 06:46:19

carongangoo

Oh sorry wasn't shouting but stressing on important commands...keeping on trying.
I cannot understand why I can generate iso's when I comment / disable the user line in customize_airootfs.sh  but I still get the Xauthority does not exist error although I modified all xinitrc files in I found in my archlive folder.
furthermore , when I edit customize_airootfs.sh and try to replace the "arch" user in #useradd -m -g users -G audio,lp,optical,storage,video,wheel,games,power,scanner -s bin/bash "myusername" , the iso is not generated

I even tried #useradd -m -p "" -g users -G "adm,audio,floppy,log,network,rfkill,scanner,storage,optical,power,wheel" -s /usr/bin/zsh "myusername", iso is not generated.

I'm also puzzled by the fact that when booting on live  Arch usb, start menu appears , I cannot boot on "existing os ".....

Help please....and nice week-end

Caron

#24 2015-03-07 10:23:27

qinohe

Alright then, your forgiven.. , for now wink
Your posts are not easy to read, use code tags for readability, see https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode  for more info. The button is down at the page (Post a reply) though, 'BBCode'
Also, if you talk about a directory, name the right one, .xinitrc is probably in etc/skel, not in archlive folder, get the picture?

If Xauthority is missing, add it yourself...

For your useradd command, try this:

useradd -m -g users -G “audio,lp,optical,storage,video,wheel,games,power,scanner” -s /bin/bash myusername

Don't use 'useradd' to add a password,  use 'usermod', like this:

usermod -p '' myusername

For more info see man usermod.

#25 2015-03-07 14:31:47

carongangoo

Hi !

Thank you for your reply . Sorry for inconvenients but my bbcode option is on ...

I already edited customize_airootfs.sh and add the useradd command you stated but this is the point : the iso is not generated. I mean archiso build command stops after generating locales. I retried once more by adding the usermod command for generating password.

About xinitrc, i copied the etc/skel/ xinitrc file to the X86_64 , the i686 and the X11 folder to enable xfce4 at start up but i still got the XAUTHORITY issue... Even if I goggled this issue , I still fails . I even enable xfce4 in archlive/releng/airootfs/etc/systemd/system with the command : " ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/xfce4.service display-manager.service "

And finally how to add Xauthority at startup of arch live iso ?

Regards

Caron

Board footer