You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-27 10:35:14

hashken

Moving eiskaltdcpp from AUR to community repo

Not sure if this is the place to ask this

Is there any reason why eiskaltdcpp is not there in the community repo and instead in AUR. Considering that Eiskaltdcpp works much better than Linuxdcpp which currently is available in the official repos, I was hoping that Eiskaltdcpp could also be moved to the official repos.

#2 2015-02-27 10:43:37

runical

Re: Moving eiskaltdcpp from AUR to community repo

The probable reason is that no TU wants to maintain the package (or other problems, but I guess that chance is small as it is GPL3). Seeing that the package hasn't been updated since 2013-09-12 and seems out of date (check the page), the chance of it being adopted by a TU and put into community seem small at the moment.

By the way, votes are used to indicate popularity of a package and will increase visibility of the package. So, voting is a good way to start promoting a package.

EDIT: I was wrong, the package is not out of date. My bad.

Last edited by runical (2015-02-27 10:46:19)

#3 2015-02-27 10:48:39

hashken

It's just that someone is maintaining linuxdcpp in the official repos and in my opinion, it's far inferior to eiskaltdcpp. I was wondering if the same person can maintain eiskaltdcpp instead of linuxdcpp in the official repos.

#4 2015-02-27 11:02:33

runical

You'll have to ask that person. You'll probably have more luck posting to the aur-general or arch-general mailing list when trying to reach the maintainer than posting in the forums.

Keep in mind that not everybody will share your opinion. I mean, eiskaltdcpp only has 118 votes at the moment, so it doesn't seem like it is a very popular package (although linuxdcpp is also not extremely popular with 1.49% installed base on pkgstats). It will ultimately come down to the opinion of the TU and the willingness to maintain the package in the official repositories, which is exactly why we have the AUR.

Board footer