You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-27 22:20:44

sebkirller

[CLOSED]HP laptop issues.

Hi.
So a while ago I bought the HP 15-g082no, but recently i tried to install Linux alongside Windows. But I ran into some serious performance issues. It did not matter whether I was running Ubuntu, Fedora or Arch.
The laptop is all AMD powered with an A8 AMD processor and a AMD Radeon HD 8570M graphicscard, which I think is causing the problems. I tried following the guide on the wiki on how to install AMD drivers but with no luck.
It fails to built from AUR, I do not know how to use the custome repositories and the build from AMD renders the computer completely unusable. I am really at a loss here, I do not have any ideas left but still, I'd like to run Linux on the laptop. I am thankful for any help. Thank you in advance.

- Sebbe smile

Last edited by sebkirller (2015-03-04 19:30:04)

#2 2015-02-28 03:51:25

EscapedNull

Re: [CLOSED]HP laptop issues.

Which drivers have you tried? Is there anything relevant in `dmesg` or `journalctl`? Can you post the output of the failed AUR build? Can you post the output of `lspci -vnn`? Have you tried an LTS kernel?

The fact that you're running into the same problem with Ubuntu, Fedora, and Arch makes me think it's a problem with the Linux driver, which is not really a feasible fix. Many laptops run Linux just fine out of the box, but if you happen to get one that doesn't, it can be a real bummer.

#3 2015-02-28 14:36:51

sebkirller

EscapedNull wrote:

Which drivers have you tried? Is there anything relevant in `dmesg` or `journalctl`? Can you post the output of the failed AUR build? Can you post the output of `lspci -vnn`? Have you tried an LTS kernel?

The fact that you're running into the same problem with Ubuntu, Fedora, and Arch makes me think it's a problem with the Linux driver, which is not really a feasible fix. Many laptops run Linux just fine out of the box, but if you happen to get one that doesn't, it can be a real bummer.

I am trying to install the AMD Catalyst drives by following this article, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst. Here is the pastebin output from dmesg however as far as i can see there is only one error with some back light. And here is the log from journalctl https://paste.ee/p/8SQlf I hope paste.ee is fine because the log was to big for pastebin.com tongue. There are about, 707 erros in the journalctl log but I could not seem to find anything relevant my self.

For whatever reason the AUR packages does not recognize the some of the dependencies even tough they are present on the system. You can again see the full output on pastebin also I am sorry for any translation issues as the terminal output is in Danish. However the packages is 'xorg-server<1.17.0', 'catalyst-utils' and xorg-server<1.17.0.
lastly here is the output from lspcil http://pastebin.com/4pzAGEXt

One last thing I forgot to mention is the every time I launch any of the libreoffice programs the xsession crashes, I get logged out and have to login again. As far as the LTS kernel goes I tried the stable LTS on Ubuntu, Elementary and Mint but the performances was even worse and there were flickering and artifacts on the screen even before I got a chance to get to the login screen.

- Sebbe smile

Last edited by sebkirller (2015-02-28 14:39:49)

#4 2015-02-28 15:15:59

EscapedNull

I don't see obvious problems with dmesg nor journalctl, however I'm not a driver developer so I could easily be missing something. It's odd that your AUR installer can't resolve the dependencies to build catalyst-utils. Have you tried building it manually (with makepkg)? And you do have xorg-server <1.17.0 installed, right? If not, you may have to downgrade.

Sorry I'm not being much help. I've been lucky with hardware support and I've never had to deal with any serious driver issues before. Perhaps someone else will see this who knows a solution.

#5 2015-02-28 18:57:49

frank604

Could you explain the original problem about performance more?  When does it occur? What is occurring as in describe what performance issue means? What drivers + version this has happened on? 

It is failing to build due to catalyst-utils.  Looking at the aur page for catalyst-util the very first comment provides some insight.  Perhaps using that repo's xorg 116 (and using xorg 1.16) would ease your installation. If you are encountering a build issue, feel free to write a comment with a log or excerpt of your fail into the specific aur page.

#6 2015-03-04 19:29:38

sebkirller

I am sorry to say that nothing seams to work with the laptop. After I finally figured out how to downgrade the xorg packages and other dependencies, and installed catalyst the computer just refused to launch any session.
I have lost hope in the laptop and I am sadly just going to stick with crappy windows, because it is less trouble for me. I do want to thank everyone who posted and helped me out, your advice was most appreciated.
On another note it seems to not only struggle with linux but any version of windows as well, especially windows 8. Where I suffer from BSOD regarding amd driver crashes that windows can not handle.
- Sebbe smile

#7 2015-03-04 20:57:02

frank604

Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like this is a laptop with some age on it (few years?).  Have you opened it up and cleaned out the dust?  Perhaps reseating the heat sink with new cooling paste as well?

#8 2015-03-04 22:02:24

smirky
Website

Why don't you give the open source drivers a try? I'm 99% sure they'll be more than enough for your daily needs. It's just not worth switching to an entirely different OS because of issues with crappy Catalyst drivers.

Personal spot  ::  https://www.smirky.net/  ::  Try not to get lost!

#9 2015-03-04 22:39:59

ewaller
Administrator

Please don't used CLOSED in a thread title.  That notation indicates that a thread has been locked by a moderator.  We have not taken such action in this case..

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer