You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-07 02:00:32

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Python + GTK + Scintilla = outdated?

I'm looking into replacing text widgets with syntax highlighted ones... wanted to use scintilla and do it in python and gtk. Searched web... scintilla + python seems best supported with QT. Damn, I don't feel like learning QT right now, this is a rush job. Searched some more... pyscintilla2 appears to be a GTK wrapper for scintilla... from 2004!? Why isn't something so exciting being maintained? This is the only site I found: http://sra.itc.it/people/cavada/PyScintilla2.html

Is there no way to get an up-to-date scintilla widget in python assuming I'm using GTK? Has it perhaps been included into a bigger project (gtk itself?)? It seems so important, I don't understand why it wouldn't be maintained...

Dusty

#2 2006-03-07 06:04:12

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Python + GTK + Scintilla = outdated?

gtksourceview is in the python-gnome packages.

#3 2006-03-07 17:00:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Thanks, that'll do for my quick and dirty hack, if I can make it work. In the long run, I'm looking for a text component we might use in magnum.... depending on gnome isn't really acceptable here. I might contact the gtkscintilla guy and see what's up; perhaps I can take on the project in my copious spare time.

Dusty

#4 2006-03-08 06:09:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Dusty wrote:

Thanks, that'll do for my quick and dirty hack, if I can make it work. In the long run, I'm looking for a text component we might use in magnum.... depending on gnome isn't really acceptable here. I might contact the gtkscintilla guy and see what's up; perhaps I can take on the project in my copious spare time.

Dusty

I wouldnt be surprised if you could compile gtksourceview without gnome support..... The actual widget is in it's own seperate package.

iphitus

#5 2006-03-08 16:39:36

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Ok, I might try it. My only final complaint then would be that gtksourceview doesn't appear to support everything scintilla does.... like code folding. Not that I use code folding much. I code python; never write enough lines of code to actually have to hide some.... hm.

Thanks again,
Dusty

#6 2006-04-09 22:43:41

deficite

#7 2006-04-24 18:38:51

Riklaunim
Website

you can try pyQT which has qscintilla wrapped by default smile

#8 2006-04-24 22:49:26

user

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#9 2006-06-08 11:38:09

JGC
Developer

Dusty wrote:

Dusty

Gnome isn't a big issue here: the only "GNOME" dependency is libgnomeprint, which will go away as soon as GTK gets to 2.10. I wouldn't even call libgnomeprint a GNOME package, as it doesn't depend on any GNOME pieces. The only thing that it does is provide a printing API to GTK programs, which happen to be GNOME programs most of the time. It could be named libgtkprint, just like gtksourceview was.

edit: damn, this post was old. Seems nobody programs somehow, this forum isn't filled at all wink

Board footer