You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-28 17:42:44

Roken

Canon MG4250

Well that was a chore.

I've just bought this printer, and past experience with Canon (who I have a lot of respect for) led me down the dodgy path of assuming it would be easy to get going, even wirelessly.

The scanner was no problem, and once connected to my network, xsane picked it up without issue. The printer on the other hand was more problematic, and so I thought I'd post the solution here should anyone encounter a similar issue (this should work for the whole MG4200 series).

I'll assume that you already have CUPS installed, and I assume that you've tried the driver in aur, neither of which will allow you to successfully print.

1. Install gutenprint from aur (which contains a good and working ppd file). don't then try to install via cups, though, since it won't find the ppd file
2. execute

cnijnetprn --search auto

You will need to install the cnijfilter package for your printer (mine is cnijfilter-mg4200)

Output will be similar to:

network cnijnet:/D8-49-2F-A7-DD-0A "Canon MG4200 series" "Canon-MG4200-series_D8-49-2F-A7-DD-0A"

You need to note the number at the end (D8-49-2F-A7-DD-0A in my case)

3. execute

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p Canon_MG4200 -P /usr/share/cups/model/canonmg4200.ppd -v cnijnet:/D8-49-2F-A7-DD-0A -E

Replace the address with your address from the previous step. You can replace "Canon_MG4200" with whatever you want the printer called in CUPS.

Now you should see the printer in CUPS and be able to successfully print. Duplex is working, as are quality controls, so it all seems good, now.

I hope that this helps someone.

Last edited by Roken (2018-12-06 21:19:10)

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#2 2019-10-11 19:05:45

sankayop

Re: Canon MG4250

Hi,
Thanks for the nice howto.
I do have the same issue as you but unfortunately it looks like an old thread (for an old printer, I must admit...).
My issue is already happening when trying to compile the aur package cnijfilter-mg4200 that is no more maintained.

Here is the error I get:

|                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                                                                                                      
bjcupsmon_cups.c:219:11: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ‘ipp_t’ {aka ‘struct _ipp_s’}                                                                          
  219 |   pRequest->request.op.operation_id = IPP_GET_PRINTER_ATTRIBUTES;                                                                                                       
      |           ^~                                                                                                                                                            
bjcupsmon_cups.c:234:44: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ‘ipp_attribute_t’ {aka ‘struct _ipp_attribute_s’}                                                      
  234 |      printerState = (ipp_state_t)pAttribute->values[0].integer;                                                                                                         
      |                                            ^~                   

If you happen to know the answer to this sudoku, well, my old but still good printer and myself would be greatfull smile))

Have a nice evening whoever reads the post smile

#3 2019-10-11 19:24:40

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Canon MG4250

Please open up your own thread instead of necrobumping old ones, you can include a reference to here there: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping%22

FWIW you don't actually need that package, install cups-bjnp for an open source implementation of that networking protocol.

Closing.

Board footer