You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-02 02:46:11

agahnim

CUPS and GhostScript [SOLVED]

Hello Archers, I have come about a certain issue with the CUPS package. I do not know the reasoning for this, but ghostscript is not pulled as a dependency. This caused me about two hours of trouble shooting until I realized that I needed to have ghostscript installed. I believe that certain printers require ghostscript to be used for the conversion on files into the printer friendly format (postscript, I believe) and I was getting filter failure errors, which I thought had to do with the printer driver. This was my first time actually using CUPS, and it was to set up my University's network printers to be useable for me. Someone in LUG with me figured out how to set it up on their machine, and everything does work now for me as well, but I was simply wondering why ghostscript may not be referenced even as an optional dep for cups. I wanted to poke around the forums and get some insight before I go contacting a package maintainer and sticking my foot in my mouth. The only reason I ask, is that I do not think this is specific to me, and that there are a decent number of printers that require ghostscript for printing, and other distros apparently have it as a dep for cups.

Last edited by agahnim (2015-03-02 03:00:00)

#2 2015-03-02 02:55:38

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: CUPS and GhostScript [SOLVED]

pacman -Si cups-filters

Optional Deps  : ghostscript: for non-PostScript printers to print with CUPS to convert PostScript to raster images
                 foomatic-db: drivers use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to a printable form directly
                 foomatic-db-engine: drivers use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to a printable form directly
                 foomatic-db-nonfree: drivers use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to a printable form directly

Always read the pacman output (I tend to forget this myself)

Last edited by Alad (2015-03-02 02:56:05)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2015-03-02 02:57:20

agahnim

Alad wrote:
pacman -Si cups-filters

Optional Deps  : ghostscript: for non-PostScript printers to print with CUPS to convert PostScript to raster images
                 foomatic-db: drivers use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to a printable form directly
                 foomatic-db-engine: drivers use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to a printable form directly
                 foomatic-db-nonfree: drivers use Ghostscript to convert PostScript to a printable form directly

Always read the pacman output (I tend to forget this myself)

Oh alright, that was me being silly then. I checked the package on the online database, and did not see it there. I may have misread. Thanks a lot.

#4 2015-03-02 02:58:14

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Well, ghostscript is a dependency of cups-filters, which again is a dependency of cups, so it's a bit sneaky wink Don't forget to mark your thread as [Solved].

Last edited by Alad (2015-03-02 02:58:33)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5 2015-03-02 02:59:17

agahnim

Alad wrote:

Well, ghostscript is a dependency of cups-filters, which again is a dependency of cups, so it's a bit sneaky wink Don't forget to mark your thread as [Solved].

Alright, thanks again!!

Board footer