You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-03 03:08:28

sethradio
Website

[SOLVED] LibreOffice spellcheck doesn't work

Spellcheck is not working in LibreOffice version 4.3.6.2. (It stopped working a few weeks ago, possibly after an update.) I have hunspell and hunspell-en installed, and it still doesn't work.

Last edited by sethradio (2015-03-20 02:52:21)

And lo, it came to pass, that the neophyte encountered the Beplattered One and humbly posed the question, "Oh great master, is it a sin to use vi?" And St. IGNUcius didst thus reply unto him, "No, my young hacker friend, it is not a sin. It is a penance."

#2 2015-03-03 04:10:19

nullified

Re: [SOLVED] LibreOffice spellcheck doesn't work

What do you mean it stopped working...completely? (there are different ways a thing can not work). Did you install it from the official repositories? All LibreOffice apps, some, a particular one? What was updated when it stopped working? What have you tried to do to fix it?

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#3 2015-03-17 16:47:22

snoblo

LibreOffice spellcheck also stopped working for me after an update about a month ago. Running spell check gives me a dialog that says "The spellcheck is complete.", despite having several spelling errors.
I currently have installed: extra/libreoffice-fresh 4.4.1-2. I also have hunspell and hunspell-en installed.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

pacman is hungry today
My webcomic series about lonely programmers smile

#4 2015-03-17 18:22:38

mike_r

Mine mysteriously started to work after I also installed hyphen-en.

Hunspell and hyphen had already been installed; had the same problem. Checked the language settings (Tools->Options->Language Settings->Writing Aids) and noticed nothing was listed in the "Available language modules" box. I then installed hunspell-en and restarted libreoffice. The available language module box then listed "Hunspell SpellChecker" as being available, but the spelling was still not being checked. Then I added hyphen-en and restarted libreoffice. Now "Hunspell SpellChecker" and "Libhyphen Hyphenator" are listed, and spell checking works. Red squiggly lines under the right places, F7 dialog makes corrections, etc.

I don't know why hyphen-en should have made a difference, but all seems to now be working.

Linux User #353 - SLS -> Slackware -> Red Hat -> Mandrake -> Fedora -> Arch

#5 2015-03-17 20:46:49

Wilco

It might help to (re)set your language settings from the Libreoffice options. When I set the default to the english locale, spell check worked again.

#6 2015-03-17 21:55:56

snoblo

Thanks so much everyone. I followed mike_r's suggestion and it worked! smile Have no idea why though...
(I'm not the OP so I'm unable to mark the title [solved])

pacman is hungry today
My webcomic series about lonely programmers smile

#7 2015-03-20 02:47:45

sethradio
Website

mike_r wrote:

Mine mysteriously started to work after I also installed hyphen-en.

Hunspell and hyphen had already been installed; had the same problem. Checked the language settings (Tools->Options->Language Settings->Writing Aids) and noticed nothing was listed in the "Available language modules" box. I then installed hunspell-en and restarted libreoffice. The available language module box then listed "Hunspell SpellChecker" as being available, but the spelling was still not being checked. Then I added hyphen-en and restarted libreoffice. Now "Hunspell SpellChecker" and "Libhyphen Hyphenator" are listed, and spell checking works. Red squiggly lines under the right places, F7 dialog makes corrections, etc.

I don't know why hyphen-en should have made a difference, but all seems to now be working.

I have hyphen and hyphen-en installed. Spell check still doesn't work in writer.

Edit: I disabled standard and en_GB. Spellcheck seems to work now.

Last edited by sethradio (2015-03-20 02:52:08)

And lo, it came to pass, that the neophyte encountered the Beplattered One and humbly posed the question, "Oh great master, is it a sin to use vi?" And St. IGNUcius didst thus reply unto him, "No, my young hacker friend, it is not a sin. It is a penance."

#8 2017-10-04 22:37:28

manbearpigg

I installed hunspell, hunspell-en, and hyphen-en and it still wouldn't spell check. I went to Tools -> Language -> For all text -> ENG USA. It started working then.

#9 2017-10-04 22:49:30

circleface

Please do not necrobump old threads, especially ones that are solved.

#10 2017-10-04 22:54:42

fsckd
Forum Fellow

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer