You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-03 04:23:24

cshenkan
Website

Fixed black screen on boot, passwords not working now

After fixing black screen on boot with the advice provided by the great community.  (Here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1501989 )

I followed the method outlined in the post I reference.  Booting from live USB, mounting my root home and usr partitions, arch-chrooting into the root partition and then setting modeset=0 in radeon.conf and putting radeon in MODULES in mkinitcpio.conf then running mkinitcpio -p linux.  Afterwards I exited the chroot and unmounted all partitions.

This fixed the blank screen, but all of my passwords are changed.  The root and my user account passwords don't work.  So again I booted into hot usb, mounted partitions, arch-chrooted in, and ran passwd to change root pw and then su to get to my user account to run sudo passwd.  After doing so, I exit the chroot and try to unmount the partitions.  I can unmount /dev/sda2 (home) but no sda1 (root) or sda3 (usr). It says: cannot umount /mnt/arch target is busy or cannot umount /mnt/arch/usr target is busy.  It suggest lsof(8) or fuser(1) but either I use them wrong or they don't help.  If I just reboot at this point my passwords still don't work.  Why can I not unmount usr or root partitions?  It says they're busy but ps -ax shows nothing.  Any ideas?  If more info is needed I will promptly supply it, I want to get my arch box up and running again asap smile

Take care fellow archers

#2 2015-03-03 04:36:42

cshenkan
Website

Re: Fixed black screen on boot, passwords not working now

Forgot to mention when I boot into Arch normally, it does systemd-fsck on all the partitions they all pass but after checking /dev/sda2 (home) it freezes.  The messages displayed are:

running hook [udev]
Triggering uevents
performing  fsck on /dev/sda1 /dev/sda1 clean xxxx/xxxx files, xxxx/xxxx blocks
mounting /dev/sda1 on real root
running late hook [usr]
mounting /dev/sda3 on /usr
running cleanup hook [shutdown]
running cleanup hook [udev]

Welcome to Arch Linux!
kvm: disabled by bios
systemd-fsck[252]: /dev/sda2 clean, xxxx/xxxx files, xxxx/xxxx blocks

and it freezes here if I switch TTY's none of my passwords work.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by cshenkan (2015-03-03 04:37:00)

#3 2015-03-03 20:05:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Fixed black screen on boot, passwords not working now

cshenkan wrote:

I can unmount /dev/sda2 (home) but no sda1 (root) or sda3 (usr). It says: cannot umount /mnt/arch target is busy or cannot umount /mnt/arch/usr target is busy.  It suggest lsof(8) or fuser(1) but either I use them wrong or they don't help.  If I just reboot at this point my passwords still don't work.

If you reboot, systemd will un-mount the partitions for you so I see no reason why your password changes would be "lost".

What were the exact commands you used to mount and un-mount the partitions?

When you are (arch-)chroot'd into your (mounted) system, what is the output of:

lsblk -f

Board footer