You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-04 17:58:44

deian

changing WM, need help to move over

Hi all,
I have recently been enjoying the delights of Arch, and stupidly went for a KDE 5 setup. Little did I know how cool i3 is. I like Arch for it's simplicity, and for the same reason I like i3. So here are my four issues. When I log in (or boot), I have my network card ready to join a network, this only happens when I go into KDE from 'startx' (i do it manually because I haven't configured my setup scripts yet). So if KDE is using 'network manager', how would I invoke that kind of setup at boot time so I don't have to fiddle with it in i3?

Another problem is my synaptics mouse thing isn't using the KDE settings? How do I start something up or run a script that KDE uses to setup the mouse settings?
Same again for volume, I assume I can set up a file with the default settings, and when that is done, which program do I use to control the volume from i3?

Finally, how do I remove everything KDE (but keeping my installed app so they still work on i3)? I want this to be done safely. I don't want it to uninstall a dependency of KDE where another program also depends on it too.

Your hand holding help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dei

#2 2015-03-04 18:06:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: changing WM, need help to move over

deian wrote:

Your hand holding help would be much appreciated.

That's not how it works here. There are wiki pages for every one of your questions.

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-03-04 18:26:06

deian

Well I've come this far with Arch (considering I moved from Debian), but the whole uninstalling KDE alone could mess up my system, so I just wanted some pointers. I am just unaware of whether i3 uses some scripts shared by KDE or whether it needs new scripts for it's own use, or does it read some system scripts? If you can point to that kind of detail I'll get onto it. I do like the Arch docs (it's by far the best, but for specifics thats what this forum is for right?) It wouldn't hurt to help someone feel a bit more at ease with such a barebones distribution. Thanks

#4 2015-03-04 18:33:08

weirddan455

Just move away from KDE specific stuff.  NetworkManager will work on any WM and there's a whole wiki page on it.  Use alsamixer for sound (found in the alsa-utils package.)  The mouse I think is best to configure through the Xorg config files (again look on the Xorg wiki page.)

#5 2015-03-04 18:38:11

deian

i got the mouse sorted, so i'll look at the NetworkManager wiki now, thanks dan.

#6 2015-03-04 19:01:38

lucke

"pacman -Rcs kde" should remove all KDE apps, if that's what you want that.

Board footer