You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-09 20:44:03

5donuts

[SOLVED] No sound after 2x amixer set Master toggle

For the past 6-ish months, I've been able to successfully play sounds with my laptop, but today I was in a place where I would rather no sounds play and used the command

amixer set Master toggle

which I presumed would toggle the muted status of Master. Unfortunately, when I returned home and used that same command, I no longer got sound. I tried using

amixer set Master 100

and

amixer set Master unmute

to attempt to restore sound, but when I tested the sound with

speaker-test

but still got no sound from the speakers.

I didn't edit any configuration files, although I did have vlc media player open when i toggled Master the second time.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both vlc and alsa-utils but still no sound fix.  Any suggestions?

Last edited by 5donuts (2015-03-13 19:53:22)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. --Terry Pratchett

#2 2015-03-10 12:22:29

allencch

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after 2x amixer set Master toggle

Try

amixer set Master 100%

#3 2015-03-13 19:52:39

5donuts

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after 2x amixer set Master toggle

Discovered that whatever the issue was originated with vlc media player, since every time I toggle the master (which I bound to my laptop's mute key using xbindkeys) vlc mutes channels in pulseaudio, which I managed to unmute with pavucontrols. I don't know why vlc does this, but it happens and pavucontrols is the easy, graphical solution

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. --Terry Pratchett

Board footer