You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-08 15:21:13

rosh

file-roller should have zip/unzip depedency

I have gnome installed and tried to open a zip file using file-roller.  It did not work because the zip and unzip packages were not dependencies.  The  ubiquitous nature of the zip standard should make it a dependency on any file compression utility like file-roller.  Just my humble opinion.

#2 2006-03-08 15:33:19

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: file-roller should have zip/unzip depedency

Don't know, I see it more as a future. It's your decision if you want it or not, it just a simple 'pacman -S' away.

That saying, adding zip, you should add also add rar and arj ...
I know I don't need arj, so I'm glad I don't have to install. People could feel the same about zip / rar.

#3 2006-03-08 15:39:35

Moo-Crumpus

I don't agree. Zip is not very common in linux. File-roller can handle it, if zip / unzip is installed, but literaly it does not really "depend" on it. For my taste, it is clear and simple: If you need another additional compression utility, next to the commonly used and installed (tar) you may install it (zip, unzip, bzip, ...). It should'nt just because you decide to use file-roller. Keep it simple does not mean install everything a user might want, as f.e. ubuntu would do.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#4 2006-03-08 15:47:55

Pablo_Escobar
Website

VLC on the other hand doesn't have a xvidcore as a dependency, but upon launching it complains about missing it and aborts the execution.
IMHO xvidcore should be a dependency for vlc.
Just my 0,2 $

Arch - Home sweet home smile

#5 2006-03-08 15:57:23

pressh
Developer/TU

Pablo_Escobar wrote:

VLC on the other hand doesn't have a xvidcore as a dependency, but upon launching it complains about missing it and aborts the execution.
IMHO xvidcore should be a dependency for vlc.
Just my 0,2 $

first this discussion was not about missing deps, second you should file a bug report if xvidcore is needed for VLC to function properly

Board footer