You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-12 15:01:31

dangersalad

Issue with Cities: Skylines

So I just downloaded this on Steam and when I play, everything seems to be fine except, there is no green "hockey puck" or blue overlay when building roads, and zones to not show up...

I *am* using the Intel graphics in this machine, but if it can handle playing Civ V, I thought it would be able to handle this game.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix for it?

EDIT: Boy am I dumb, it says right on the requirements that intel cards are not supported... oh well

Last edited by dangersalad (2015-03-12 15:16:50)

#2 2015-03-12 15:01:44

Mastermind

Re: Issue with Cities: Skylines

Game ain't launching. Nothing in the Steam console output.

What doesn't work:

1) Launching the game from Steam
2) With overlay disabled
3) With multihead disabled
4) Launching the bin directly

Just flashes my avatar green.

> cat ~/.config/unity3d/Colossal\ Order/Cities:\ Skylines/Player.log 

Selecting FBConfig
GLX_FBCONFIG_ID=155
GLX_BUFFER_SIZE=32
GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER=1
GLX_RED_SIZE=8
GLX_GREEN_SIZE=8
GLX_BLUE_SIZE=8
GLX_ALPHA_SIZE=8
GLX_DEPTH_SIZE=24
GLX_STENCIL_SIZE=8
GLX_SAMPLES_ARB=0
GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_AStacktrace:

Native stacktrace:

/home/mastermind/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x926b7) [0x7f8d894fe6b7]
	/home/mastermind/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x36226) [0x7f8d894a2226]
	/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0(+0x10740) [0x7f8d8f379740]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
used by your application.
=================================================================

_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon_offset GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays 
GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_create_context GLX_ARB_create_context_profile GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGI_make_current_read GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap GLX_INTEL_swap_event 
Setting maxVSyncInterval to 4
GL: Detected 512 MB VRAM

Arch is running at 64-bit. CPU is Intel i5-3570K, GPU is 6950. Direct rendering is on, OpenGL 3.0 Mesa 10.4.4 . 8 GB of RAM. Game running of an 840 EVO. WM is i3. Drivers are FOSS Radeon.

#3 2015-03-12 15:09:27

ewaller
Administrator

Moving to games.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2015-03-12 16:57:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with identical thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2015-03-12 18:16:26

kar

The game has at the moment several bugs! It affects not only Linux, but also Windows.

For me, it's not payable because of bad performance and graphical issues! If you're looking to the Steam-Community or in the Paradox forum, you can see this. I think, we have to wait for a new version.

Here is my "bug-report" in the steam-community:
http://steamcommunity.com//app/255710/d … 239838265/

And the same (from another user):
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho … Map-Saving

#6 2015-03-13 07:47:01

Mastermind

You can fix the insta-fatal by forcing the game to use native mono. Make sure you have x64 mono installed.

> mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.old

> mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.18 ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.18.old 

Don't cheer so soon, you'll most likley now find yourself with a black screen and still -STILL- unable to play. Lucky for you, I can provide the answer to that aswell. Even though Paradox claim the game runs windowed out of the box, on Arch I got rid of my black screen by setting the following launch option in Steam:

-windowed

You may also have to disable your overlay. I still had mine turned off when I tested this.

Don't cheer though, you might be able to launch but a recent patch murdered the framerate on Linux. I'm talking about an unplayable 7-14 fps.
Let's hope they fix that soon.

tl;dr: Linux support doesn't go much further than just allowing you to install at the moment.. what a mess.

Cheers

#7 2015-03-14 13:35:06

mueslo

Works out of the box for me, but performance is really bad, about 3fps when panning over a city at the default high settings, about 5-8fps at lowest settings.

My processor is an Intel Core i7 920 and my graphics card an AMD Radeon HD7950 running catalyst 14.12 drivers, I guess on Windows it'd run at 60fps highest no problems. Unity on Linux is a disgrace hmm

#8 2015-03-16 07:38:41

Mastermind

#9 2015-03-19 22:15:54

Cape

My Xperience so far:
- i added -windowed to the Steam launch options, otherwise it will freeze at startup
- once the game is started i can set fullscreen in game options and Apply and  everything will work fine.
- Runs extremely laggy on Gnome 3, whereas with Enlightenment works much much smoother ("disable composite for fullscreen app" enabled in the composite options)
- performance is all but bad with small cities but lags with bigger cities
- i'm still experiencing sporadic freezes that can last up to a minute but than unfreeze and everything works fine (music keeps playing in the background). It usually happens when i switch from straight to curved roads tools but might also happen with other UI elements... Guess Mono is not perfect...
- Also disabled steam overlay, though i don't know if this might help

Overall i can play, still the experience is largely handicapped compared to Wintlords.
My hardware:
Intel i7 3770K@4.1Ghz
Nvidia GTX680 with proprietary blob
8 gig DDR3
1080p monitor

edit: Thanks to karol for telling me my memory is DDR3, not DDR2.

Last edited by Cape (2015-03-19 22:45:43)

#10 2015-03-22 15:31:50

norg

I still have the issue with huge loading time, i compared it to an test ubuntu installation where it works fine, what i see is the following errors on the arch system:

/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/clientdll/baseuser.cpp (472) : Assertion Failed: unreferenced server pipe handle

This occurs when loading the game, loading save game and with achievements also with clicking the news/info box on the left in the main menu. Always freezes for several seconds (nearly minutes) and i see this output. This does not occur on ubuntu.

Does anyone have any idea what is different with archlinux there?

Edit: i also tried STEAM_RUNTIME=0 but didn't change this issue (yes i installed all the necessary libs)

Edit2: Disabling the steamerror reporter (see http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho … t19039771) helped a little bit with the timeouts, but still small freezes.

Last edited by norg (2015-03-22 18:21:42)

#11 2015-04-01 22:15:33

norg

FYI: the assertion failed bug was fixed by installing community/lsb-release

Board footer