You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-13 21:26:16

MacDerJack

How to install a bootloader

I have a first-time linux install of Arch on my desktop. Going through the beginner's guide and told me to install a bootloader which has me lost... I don't know how to access the internet, let alone a thumb drive off of this machine at the moment to have files to install for that. Could someone please help me out? I'm certain it's not difficult, but I'm just trying to get my feet grounded here. Any help much appreciated!

#2 2015-03-13 21:33:54

Slithery
Administrator

Re: How to install a bootloader

If you've managed to get to the bootloader stage of installation then you must already have an internet connection. Just read the relevant bootloader page that's linked to in the Beginners Guide.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2015-03-13 21:51:11

MacDerJack

Yes I do have internet connection, however I do not have enough wherewithall to know how to use it... so as to navigate to the page and download the necessary package...

#4 2015-03-13 21:53:49

nullified

It doesn't just tell you to install the bootloader, it gives you the command to do so. You have to use pacman, there is no need to navigate somewhere to download it. You have to read about Arch Linux a bit before you proceed any further I think...

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#5 2015-03-14 20:00:32

teateawhy
Website

But you do know what a package manager is?

#6 2015-03-14 20:26:23

ewaller
Administrator

MacDerJack,

What you are not grasping is that the the Arch install disk has been using your internet connection.  Just because you have not been browsing, it does not mean you are not using the Internet connection.

That is what teasteawhy is pointing out.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer