You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-20 02:09:40

synec-

What should I look for in the PKGBUILD when installing from AUR?

Specifically yaourt is asking me to check. I understand that some can contain malware and would like to know what to look for before I install a package. Thanks!

#2 2015-03-20 02:19:17

nullified

Re: What should I look for in the PKGBUILD when installing from AUR?

Check out

man pkgbuild

so you understand what the PKGBUILD contains, then check out: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … he_package

There is a giant red warning there that explains a bit.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#3 2015-03-20 02:38:04

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Look for scary things you don't understand. And then stop using yaourt, and learn how to build packages without a helper.

#4 2015-03-20 08:16:04

satanselbow

If a particular PKGBUILD is causing you concern, why not share what it is as any users that are currently using the package may offer some insight?

#5 2015-03-20 13:20:25

synec-

2ManyDogs wrote:

Look for scary things you don't understand. And then stop using yaourt, and learn how to build packages without a helper.

I know how to, but I use yaourt for convenience. Since I don't have that much time to download (because of spotty internet connection) I want to get it all done as soon as possible.

#6 2015-03-20 13:43:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

synec- wrote:

I know how to, but ...

This question suggests you don't.  There is nothing wrong with not being familiar with using the AUR, but using yaourt will prevent you from ever learning what you should know in order to use the AUR responsibly.  Many aur helpers - Yaourt in particular - simply hide/automate far too much of the process.

But if you want to download everything quickly, then work on building the packages, yaourt is really the wrong tool.  If there are AUR dependencies for an AUR package, yaourt will try to build them sequentially and only download the new sources when it gets to the point where it needs it.  If you use makepkg (perhaps with a simpler helper like cower) you can download all the needed AUR tarballs in one command, then with one or two more, you could download all the upstream source files for all the packages before you start building anything.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2015-03-20 13:47:38

synec-

Trilby wrote:
synec- wrote:

I know how to, but ...

This question suggests you don't.  There is nothing wrong with not being familiar with using the AUR, but using yaourt will prevent you from ever learning what you should know in order to use the AUR responsibly.  Many aur helpers - Yaourt in particular - simply hide/automate far too much of the process.

But if you want to download everything quickly, then work on building the packages, yaourt is really the wrong tool.  If there are AUR dependencies for an AUR package, yaourt will try to build them sequentially and only download the new sources when it gets to the point where it needs it.  If you use makepkg (perhaps with a simpler helper like cower) you can download all the needed AUR tarballs in one command, then with one or two more, you could download all the upstream source files for all the packages before you start building anything.

Thank you. I guess I should learn before I start taking yaourt for granted. I originally installed it for my dad, and taught him how to use it, as I'm teaching him Linux. I'll make sure to pass on those words.

Board footer