You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-21 14:43:30

nakamis

[SOLVED] How to get Broadcom wireless to work (Arch install)?

I'm very newbie in network managment (and in Linux in general), and it's my first time installing Arch.
I came from Debian/Ubuntu. In Ubuntu 14.04 it was working already, and in Debian 7.8 I only had to install the package "brcmsmac" to get my wi-fi card to work.

But now I have no idea what I'm doing in Arch. I've already downloaded and installed the system using the auto DHCP connection, but after the chroot I got confused, now I'm stuck in configuring the network and wireless. I didn't even install a bootloader yet. (I'm using another computer to post this)
I followed https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/broadcom_wireless, and Google'd about it but everything seems confusing.

I won't need anything special like a server, so I imagine the solution is very basic and newbie.
It's probably a very simple thing to do, like installing a package or loading something, and I don't want to mess up my system.

I heard about AUR but I don't know how to use it.

Last edited by nakamis (2015-03-22 13:57:17)

#2 2015-03-21 14:50:08

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] How to get Broadcom wireless to work (Arch install)?

#3 2015-03-21 14:59:40

nakamis

I don't know...
Maybe this helps:

Output of

lspci -v

:

[...]
Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn [...]
[...]
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
[...]

Output of

ip link

:

[...]
3: wlp18s0b1: [..] state DOWN mode DEFAULT [...]
[...]

"ip link set wlp18s0b1 up" outputs nothing.

I can't paste the entire output because it's in another computer.

#4 2015-03-21 16:06:47

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

nakamis wrote:

"ip link set wlp18s0b1 up" outputs nothing.

Silence==success

Did you check the output of `ip l` after you ran that command?

I think you need the broadcom-wl or broadcom-wl-dkms packages for that card.

#5 2015-03-21 16:17:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

nakamis wrote:

I've already downloaded and installed the system using the auto DHCP connection, but after the chroot I got confused, now I'm stuck in configuring the network and wireless.

If you had a network connection before the chroot, you should after as well - you should not do *anything* for it.  I'd say as long as you have an ethernet connection available, don't bother with wireless until after your system is fully installed and booted.

But in response to the above post - if brcmsmac will work, do not try to use wl, wl should really be seen as a last resort.  The lspci command you used gives somewhat incomplete information.  If you want to work on the wireless now, please post the output of the following:

lspci -vnn | grep -i net

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2015-03-21 16:18:44

Gusar

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I think you need the broadcom-wl or broadcom-wl-dkms packages for that card.

He doesn't. brcmsmac indeed supports BCM4313. There's nothing special required to get it working, just configuring the network, either manually or via netctl/NetworkManger/wicd/connman.

#7 2015-03-21 16:30:40

nakamis

Trilby wrote:
nakamis wrote:

I've already downloaded and installed the system using the auto DHCP connection, but after the chroot I got confused, now I'm stuck in configuring the network and wireless.

If you had a network connection before the chroot, you should after as well - you should not do *anything* for it.  I'd say as long as you have an ethernet connection available, don't bother with wireless until after your system is fully installed and booted.

But in response to the above post - if brcmsmac will work, do not try to use wl, wl should really be seen as a last resort.  The lspci command you used gives somewhat incomplete information.  If you want to work on the wireless now, please post the output of the following:

lspci -vnn | grep -i net

Yes, I can use my Ethernet connection, but I was just trying to know if it's hard to configure the wireless without some advanced tool like NetworkManager.

lspci -vnn | grep -i net:

lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12
[...] Network controller [...] Broadcom [...]
[...] Ethernet controller [...] Realtek [...]

Like I said I don't know how to paste the entire output here.

#8 2015-03-21 16:41:41

nakamis

nakamis wrote:
lspci -vnn | grep -i net:

[...] Network controller [...] Broadcom [...]
[...] Ethernet controller [...] Realtek [...]

Like I said I don't know how to paste the entire output here.

Ok this is the output (had to write it down):

12:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
13:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)

#9 2015-03-21 16:44:01

Gusar

nakamis wrote:

but I was just trying to know if it's hard to configure the wireless without some advanced tool like NetworkManager.

wifi-menu that comes with netctl is very simple. Manual configuration isn't that hard either - create a wpa_supplicant.conf using wpa_passphrase, launch wpa_supplicant (the exact command is for sure somewhere in the wiki), start a dhcp client once wpa_supplicant is connected.

#10 2015-03-21 17:07:56

nakamis

Gusar wrote:

wifi-menu that comes with netctl is very simple. Manual configuration isn't that hard either - create a wpa_supplicant.conf using wpa_passphrase, launch wpa_supplicant (the exact command is for sure somewhere in the wiki), start a dhcp client once wpa_supplicant is connected.

I followed this page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant, but I still can't connect.

Everything went fine, and when I run this code (changed to my network parameters before executing):

> add_network
> set_network 0 ssid "MYSSID"
> set_network 0 psk "passphrase"
> enable_network 0
> save_config
<2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:00:00:00:00:00 completed (reauth) [id=0 id_str=]

After "enable_network 0" I don't get the message saying it's connected, all I get is:

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE-AUTH
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE-AUTH
[...]

And "dhcpcd wlp18s0b1" times out.

Last edited by nakamis (2015-03-21 17:12:50)

#11 2015-03-21 19:50:37

w201

We have the same wireless card. Just copy the example wireless-wpa profile from /etc/netctl/examples/wireless-wpa to /etc/netctl/, rename it to my-profile or whatever, configure it, then enable netctl-auto@your_interface.service and you should be good to go.

Your profile should look something like this, just use your own details:

Description='A simple WPA encrypted wireless connection'
Interface=wlan0
Connection=wireless

Security=wpa
IP=dhcp

ESSID='Angry Bobby Flay'
# Prepend hexadecimal keys with \"
# If your key starts with ", write it as '""<key>"'
# See also: the section on special quoting rules in netctl.profile(5)
Key='1hdwP4EgBdplh+eUj4L+GQuSd4idd8OCrr2tsG/H8='
# Uncomment this if your ssid is hidden
#Hidden=yes
# Set a priority for automatic profile selection
#Priority=10

Last edited by w201 (2015-03-21 19:51:45)

#12 2015-03-21 19:58:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You may have the same card, but you don't have the same network.  The network interface is working, the problem now is connecting to the network / access-point.  Unless I missed it, we have not been provided any information about the network.  Nakamis, is this your network?  Is it secure, or open?  If secure, is it WPA, or something else?  In the wireless wiki page their are commands that can be used to gather this information (e.g. the scan results).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#13 2015-03-21 20:10:41

nakamis

Trilby wrote:

You may have the same card, but you don't have the same network.  The network interface is working, the problem now is connecting to the network / access-point.  Unless I missed it, we have not been provided any information about the network.  Nakamis, is this your network?  Is it secure, or open?  If secure, is it WPA, or something else?  In the wireless wiki page their are commands that can be used to gather this information (e.g. the scan results).

Hidden: Yes
Password protected: Yes
Security: WPA-PSK
DHCP: Yes, automatic

I looked into the wiki pages and executed several commands, but I don't understand the results I get.
My drivers are okay I think, I'm just having trouble setting up the config for the network. I finished my installation using my Ethernet connection, now I can use the system and set up the wireless without the fear of losing everything.

I can paste the outputs in here now, since I can save it into a file and access it from Ubuntu.
What do you need to know? (which command output do I put in here)?

#14 2015-03-21 20:12:20

nakamis

w201 wrote:

We have the same wireless card. Just copy the example wireless-wpa profile from /etc/netctl/examples/wireless-wpa to /etc/netctl/, rename it to my-profile or whatever, configure it, then enable netctl-auto@your_interface.service and you should be good to go.

Your profile should look something like this, just use your own details:

Description='A simple WPA encrypted wireless connection'
Interface=wlan0
Connection=wireless

Security=wpa
IP=dhcp

ESSID='Angry Bobby Flay'
# Prepend hexadecimal keys with \"
# If your key starts with ", write it as '""<key>"'
# See also: the section on special quoting rules in netctl.profile(5)
Key='1hdwP4EgBdplh+eUj4L+GQuSd4idd8OCrr2tsG/H8='
# Uncomment this if your ssid is hidden
#Hidden=yes
# Set a priority for automatic profile selection
#Priority=10

I tried this but then when I ping Google I get "unknown host: www.google.com".

#15 2015-03-21 20:24:34

w201

Actually, on second look, your card may not be supported according to this list:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43

My card's PCI-ID is 14e4:4311, yours is 14e4:4313. Your wireless interface is visible so I'm assuming you installed the b43 firmware from the AUR?

#16 2015-03-21 20:26:29

nakamis

w201 wrote:

Actually, on second look, your card may not be supported according to this list:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43

My card's PCI-ID is 14e4:4311, yours is 14e4:4313. Your wireless interface is visible so I'm assuming you installed the b43 firmware from the AUR?

I didn't install any driver.
EDIT: I mean, my system only has the downloaded Arch system + grub

Last edited by nakamis (2015-03-21 20:28:10)

#17 2015-03-21 20:42:46

karol
Archivist

nakamis wrote:

I can paste the outputs in here now, since I can save it into a file and access it from Ubuntu.

If you still have internet connection on that Arch box through the cable, you can use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

#18 2015-03-21 20:43:45

Gusar

@w201: Where do you see nakamis has a 14e4:4313? I don't see a pci-id anywhere (lspci -nn output would be required for that), I only see BCM4313. And considering nakamis has an interface, it really must be a BCM4313 that is supported by brcmsmac.

@nakamis: Having your access point hidden doesn't do anything to increase security, it's just a potential source of issues. I suggest you unhide your network, then try wifi-menu.

Last edited by Gusar (2015-03-21 20:45:17)

#19 2015-03-22 01:44:35

w201

Gusar wrote:

@w201: Where do you see nakamis has a 14e4:4313? I don't see a pci-id anywhere (lspci -nn output would be required for that), I only see BCM4313. And considering nakamis has an interface, it really must be a BCM4313 that is supported by brcmsmac.

I'm going off what wireless.wiki.kernel.org shows. His chip id is BCM4313 and PCI-ID 14e4:4313, and says not supported. My interface wasn't even visible until I installed the b43 driver. How is it that his interface shows up without having installed the b43 drivers?

#20 2015-03-22 09:10:12

Gusar

w201 wrote:

I'm going off what wireless.wiki.kernel.org shows. His chip id is BCM4313 and PCI-ID 14e4:4313, and says not supported. My interface wasn't even visible until I installed the b43 driver. How is it that his interface shows up without having installed the b43 drivers?

Look at the list again, there are two BCM4313 listed, I'd guess nakamis has a 14e4:4727, it's the more common one. Though even if he does have a 14e4:4313, look at the last column, is says supported by wl and brcm80211 (brcm80211 consists of brcmsmac and brcmfmac). That's why the interface shows up - b43 does not handle BCM4313, brcmsmac does. And brcmsmac works out-of-the-box, no additional installation of stuff is needed.

Last edited by Gusar (2015-03-22 09:14:13)

#21 2015-03-22 11:17:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No need to guess.  He posted the full output, this is the 14e4:4727 chip.

#22 2015-03-22 12:55:36

nakamis

@nakamis: Having your access point hidden doesn't do anything to increase security, it's just a potential source of issues. I suggest you unhide your network, then try wifi-menu.

I disabled the Hidden option and tried to connect with wifi-menu. I selected the network and password, and it gives me some outputs, but the final message is:
"Connection failed".

EDIT: I tried to pipe the output but it doesn't work with wifi-menu.

EDIT 2:
wifi-menu tells me to look at these commands for details of the problem (my network name is PingW):

# systemctl status netctl@wlp18s0b1\x2dPingW.service

netctl@wlp18s0b1x2dPingW.service - Networking for netctl profile wlp18s0b1x2dPingW
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:netctl.profile(5)
# journalctl -xe

Output of "journalctl -xe" -> http://codepad.org/1L4KzSel

Last edited by nakamis (2015-03-22 13:13:06)

#23 2015-03-22 13:20:59

Gusar

We need *a lot* more info than that. Could be something very simple, like the interface being up before starting wifi-menu (netctl doesn't like the interface being up, it'll only start correctly if the interface is down).

Or it could be something more. In which case, you'll need to start wpa_supplicant manually with debugging enabled:

wpa_supplicant -i wlp18s0b1 -c <(wpa_passphrase MYSSID passphrase) -d

Once this says you're connected, open another terminal and start dhcpcd. Or, if wpa_supplicant doesn't manage to connect, post the *entire* output.

Edit: Ok, you posted more info as I was writing my post. Will look through that, maybe it contains something useful. If not, follow the instructions above.
Edit2: Nope, nothing about wireless in there, except that the driver loaded.

Last edited by Gusar (2015-03-22 13:26:45)

#24 2015-03-22 13:57:00

nakamis

Gusar wrote:

We need *a lot* more info than that. Could be something very simple, like the interface being up before starting wifi-menu (netctl doesn't like the interface being up, it'll only start correctly if the interface is down).

Or it could be something more. In which case, you'll need to start wpa_supplicant manually with debugging enabled:

wpa_supplicant -i wlp18s0b1 -c <(wpa_passphrase MYSSID passphrase) -d

Once this says you're connected, open another terminal and start dhcpcd. Or, if wpa_supplicant doesn't manage to connect, post the *entire* output.

Edit: Ok, you posted more info as I was writing my post. Will look through that, maybe it contains something useful. If not, follow the instructions above.
Edit2: Nope, nothing about wireless in there, except that the driver loaded.

It worked!!
I was looking into the logs and found an authentication failure...my password is very long so I made some mistakes while typing it.
So this is the solution all the way:

SOLUTION:

- No need to install or load any external drivers (all I used was already in the base installation)
- DISABLE THE HIDDEN NETWORK OPTION IN THE ROUTER (thanks for the heads-up @Gusar)
- run "# wifi-menu"
     or
       "# wpa_supplicant -i [interface] -c <(wpa_passphrase MYSSID passphrase) -d"
- run "# dhcpcd [interface]"
- Good to go!!

I'm sorry for the trouble guys, and like I imagined, it was really easy and now I see my newbiness hahaha ;D
Thanks.

#25 2015-03-22 14:58:57

nakamis

nakamis wrote:

SOLUTION:

- No need to install or load any external drivers (all I used was already in the base installation)
- DISABLE THE HIDDEN NETWORK OPTION IN THE ROUTER (thanks for the heads-up @Gusar)
- run "# wifi-menu"
     or
       "# wpa_supplicant -i [interface] -c <(wpa_passphrase MYSSID passphrase) -d"
- run "# dhcpcd [interface]"
- Good to go!!

I'm sorry for the trouble guys, and like I imagined, it was really easy and now I see my newbiness hahaha ;D
Thanks.

One more thing, which method you guys suggest for me to "auto" handle my 2 network connections. I mean, let's say I want to make my system as smooth as Debian (GNOME 3) when it comes to network setup. I want to be able to connect/disconnect any time I want from inside a Window Manager...so I need my Wireless and Ethernet pre-set and running. Because right now I was able to establish a connection, but I don't know what I should do to make it permanent and clean.

Board footer