You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-26 17:38:35

markisthejob

Arch on mac pro 1.1 32 bit EFI

Hi all, ive recently aquired an old mac pro 1.1 which doesnt play well bith x64/dual install discs which I was going to use as a second computer. At the moment its running the x64+mac version of ubuntu.
After a bit of research I found a guide on how to modify the install disc to boot on 32 bit EFI.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … t_from_ISO

I suppose my question is would this be the best way to install? My only other option seems to be install from a i686 archbang livecd and use a PAE kernel from the AUR which I would prefer not to do.

#2 2015-04-14 16:08:12

loemnk

Re: Arch on mac pro 1.1 32 bit EFI

Today I encountered the same problem and found a quirky solution to it. It is no problem at all to boot Ubuntu 14.04.2 (Mac edition). You will find it in the cdimages section of their website. EFI 32 does not like usb-sticks so do not bother to try booting from usb. I installed Ubuntu, used it as a host system to install Arch, and am currently using Ubuntu's generated /boot to get Arch up and running. So far everything works fine.

Maybe I will get rid of Ubuntu later on, but after a million failed attemps to get this MacPro 1,1 cooking I am glad it is over.

Hope this helps.

Greetings from Germany

Board footer