You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-29 18:58:08

pernils

[SOLVED] cups samsung printer driver issue ..

So ..

I made the jump for non ms environment and just there my blood pressure started to go sky high.

I have been fiddling with debian based dist on servers for several years but not on the desktop.  For servers is sort of the best solution but on the desktop ?
On the desktop I'm starting to hate it.

Nothing is working out of the box. My first fight was how I should connect to my ms machine at work. I wanted a better experience  then you can have with vnc so I started to test several other solution. Was fighting with splashtop for a long time but ended up in Remmina (rdp).

On top of that I had my banking software "bankid" that have suddenly dropped the linux support.

Okay .. I run a virtual ms desktop then. From several sources libvert should be the best solution.

But what you know ... libvertd wouldn't start. Okay I can create a vm based on session but that vill not give me the option for choosing the nic and therefore I can't get rdp running.

When you visit the wiki you are facing a wall of text and you just get so tired that you tuck the problem away for a time and try something else instead.

So here I'm with printer issue. On samsung page you can download their samsung-unified-driver but I will not install due some error that it can't find cups to restart it.
Could this be initd vs systemd issue ?

Anyway in Aur you have a ready package for it.

yaourt -S samsung-unified-driver

bla bla ...

done ...

Try to add printer ... It can see my samsung ML2850 (connected to usb) but it can't find the driver.

in /usr/share/cups/model/samsung I have gz file name ML-2850ps.ppd.gz.

But when I check /var/log/cups/error_log

I see ..

E [29/Mar/2015:18:24:18 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/cms/CLX-3170cms2"!
E [29/Mar/2015:18:24:18 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/cms/CLP-300-1200x600cms"!
E [29/Mar/2015:18:24:18 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Kyocera/ReadMe.htm"!
E [29/Mar/2015:18:24:19 +0200] [cups-driverd] Skipping "/usr/share/ppd/samsung": loop detected!
E [29/Mar/2015:18:27:42 +0200] [Client 25] Returning HTTP Forbidden for CUPS-Get-Devices (no URI) from localhost

The files located in the /usr/share/cups/model/samsung/cms does not look the same as thoose in .gz format.

Browsing the web is starting to get the same hits on my search attempt so I don't know what to do.

Is there some one who could just write a few lines that will guide me in the right direction ?

I have tried to blacklist usblp but with no success.

When running dmseg now I get (after reboot)

systemd[1]: Unit configure-printer@usb-007-004.service entered failed state.
[    3.894114] fuse init (API version 7.23)

When I disconnect and reconnect the usb cable I only get

[ 3242.237511] usb 7-4.1: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 3245.826465] usb 7-4.1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci

According to the wiki I should also receive something about configuration ...

(their example)

usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

I'm lost ....

Last edited by pernils (2015-03-31 07:16:13)

#2 2015-03-29 19:26:02

mcloaked

Re: [SOLVED] cups samsung printer driver issue ..

Presumably you did read the arch wiki page at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS ?  There is also the splix package that may work instead of relying on the samsung unified driver.  I have a different Samsung printer and use splix.  I do have to admit that I have been having some issues since cups 2.0 was released.  What I find now is that in general I need to restart the cups service using (as root)

systemctl restart org.cups.cupsd

Also by default the cups service runs as a socket activated service now so it is org.cups.cupsd.socket that is enabled at boot and in principle it should start the org.cups.cupsd.service when a printer is plugged in.

If you start the service org.cups.cupsd as above, and then also try to start the service you found for your printer (systemctl restart configure-printer@usb-007-004.service as root) and then unplug your printer, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in, does the cups service then see the printer?  Check on a browser by going to the url localhost:631 and check on the printers tab.  Depending on which desktop environment you are running you may be able to configure your printer from the settings (eg in kde under the menu at bottom left going to system settings then printers should allow you to check the setup for your printer).  I have not used the samsung unified printers for a long time but I did find that I needed to pull out the samsung raster driver file and put it in the right place - in my case they are:

/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl
/etc/cups/ppd/SCX-4500W-Series.ppd

If you place those two files ( of course the raster and ppd files for your printer model), and then start the services above, you might be able to then set up the printer from the settings menu and tell it to use the splix drivers if you have the splix package installed (pacman -S splix though I note you are using yaourt).

Maybe this will help.

Once you have the printer going with individual steps then of course it would be nice to get it running from boot or when the printer is plugged in without the need to mess with restarting systemd services - I am still fiddling with the latter for my machine!

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-03-29 19:27:42)

Mike C

#3 2015-03-29 19:50:12

pernils

Thanks ...

After checking for files I discovered that I didn't had any files in /etc/cups/ppd  so I gunzip my ML-2850 fron /usr/share/cups/model......../ .

In the other location I have some files included rastertosamsungspl.

When I tested your "test"

systemctl restart org.cups.cupsd

systemctl restart configure-printer@usb-007-004.service

and unplugged the usb and replugged it I could find the printer again.

When I first start the Cups page

http://localhost:631/admin

I choose " Adding Printers and Classes "

Then  "Add Printer"

This for getting the login prompt. Login as root ...

Then I choose "Find New Printers"

The printer shows up ...

Press the "Add This Printer" button ..

After long time I get

Add Printer
Add Printer Samsung_ML-2850_Series Error

Unable to get list of printer drivers:

Success

Success

Hmm should I login as my username instead ? (.. testing...)

hmm seems that I have to reboot to make that work ... ( haven't tested it yet)

Running gnome and have the splix package installed.

Splix package is installed from the official repo. In Aur it exist splix_svn.

When using gui tool for installing printers I only get grey "boxes " and can't check options for using another driver.

Thinking of going back to pcbsd .. It can't be worse than this.

#4 2015-03-29 20:06:06

mcloaked

Just a thought - you restarted the service systemctl restart configure-printer@usb-007-004.service - after unplugging and replugging your printer if you do

systemctl --failed

(as root) do you get any failed services - if so it is possible that replugging the printer may have got the usb connection with a different numerical part and you may need to restart the service if it has a different name ( configure-printer@usb-008-004.service, say) - in which case make sure that is started.

You should also check for any error lines in the status of the services once you reach this stage:

systemctl status org.cups.cupsd.service

and similar ( and always as root!).

This kind of problem chasing is frustrating but not all printers work immediately out of the box. I think that there remain some bugs in the newly released version of cups so more work will perhaps be needed - the first step is to do research, then ask for help in the forum or mailing list, and if there are problems that are beyond configuration errors then file bugs and things will get fixed.

By the way it is always worth doing a daemon reload if you change any of the service unit files or other config files for running services.  Sometimes rebooting is needed to get daemons running properly after a change too.

It may also be worth googling for any bugs reported for this printer in arch linux.  Arch is a distro where people get to know their system in a more intimate way than for some other distros - people will generally help where they can in this forum, and there is often a lot of info available in the wiki, as well as in the arch bug reports. 

I hope this helps.

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-03-29 20:09:16)

Mike C

#5 2015-03-29 21:23:08

pernils

Not so familiarly with systemd that I constant forget the systemctl tool.

Every time I reconnect the usb the counter increases.

systemctl --failed

give this

UNIT                                  LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● configure-printer@usb-007-004.service loaded failed failed Configure Plugged-In Printer
● configure-printer@usb-007-005.service loaded failed failed Configure Plugged-In Printer
● configure-printer@usb-007-006.service loaded failed failed Configure Plugged-In Printer
● configure-printer@usb-007-007.service loaded failed failed Configure Plugged-In Printer
● configure-printer@usb-007-008.service loaded failed failed Configure Plugged-In Printer
● libvirtd.service                      loaded failed failed Virtualization daemon

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

6 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

The system was reinstalled 5 days ago. For what is worth maybe I should remove all and reinstall cups etc ...

For the record ...

systemctl status configure-printer@usb-007-008.service

gives

● configure-printer@usb-007-008.service - Configure Plugged-In Printer
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/configure-printer@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since sön 2015-03-29 22:48:03 CEST; 27min ago
  Process: 3085 ExecStart=/usr/lib/udev/udev-configure-printer add %i (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 3085 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

mar 29 22:48:03 kontor udev-configure-printer[3085]: add usb-007-008
mar 29 22:48:03 kontor udev-configure-printer[3085]: device devpath is /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb7/7-4/7-4.1
mar 29 22:48:03 kontor udev-configure-printer[3085]: Device already handled
mar 29 22:48:03 kontor systemd[1]: configure-printer@usb-007-008.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
mar 29 22:48:03 kontor systemd[1]: Unit configure-printer@usb-007-008.service entered failed state.
mar 29 22:48:03 kontor systemd[1]: configure-printer@usb-007-008.service failed.

this path "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb7/7-4/7-4.1" shouldn't that be sort of "/dev/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb7/7-4/7-4.1"

Heard somewhere that systemd aimed to delivery a clearer picture of problems and errors then initd.

Will do some googling to see if I can come up with something that make it clearer what is going on.

#6 2015-03-30 12:28:50

mcloaked

I think there may be a bug since the configure-printer@usb-007-00X.service with X incrementing each time you replug the printer is not sensible but occurs.  However I don't know if the problem lies with cups or with systemd or somewhere else (like udev, which is linked to systemd). I certainly don't have a printer that works by simply turning it on either and have to fiddle just like you - however it seems that even if you get the services started correctly by using systemctl to restart the service listed above with the correct sequence number that you have not been able to access the drivers - at least I can get mine to run once all the services are started!  It might be a good time to file a bug report on flyspray ( https://bugs.archlinux.org/ )

There have been ongoing issues with printer services since cups was upgraded to 2.0.

By  the way this bug report may also be relevant for your case: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/43708 and if so maybe you could add your info to it?

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-03-30 12:30:47)

Mike C

#7 2015-03-30 18:28:57

pernils

What do you know ....

Your link to the bug report matter fact solved the problem.
(referring to this link  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/43708

At the bottom it says something about gutenprint and foomatic.

I begun to try to uninstall thoose package. To remove foomatic I had to remove hplib. One thing here that is odd is that you will not find it by typing hplib in pacmanXG. But if you start to type hpl you will see hplib ver 3.15.2-3.
Go figure ....

Did some testing by installing and unistalling package and the only one that I had to remove was  Gutenprint .

All the other default installed package

foomatic
hplib

I could left untouched.

Now I was able to install the darn printer.

Of course I was not able to print because it's a scraped one from work (paper jam) But with some soft hands or a sledge depends how it goes I will or will not get any paper out of this sucker.

That's a later issue the god thing that it's spinning so the job is send to it. Halelulja ...

Thanks for your support mcloaked ....

Summary

If you can't install the printer and get this result from the cups gui

Add Printer

Success

Success

Try to remove the Gutenprint package.

For the record I'm using the samsung-unified-driver   ver 1.00.29-3 from AUR

To install it ...

yaourt -S samsung-unified-driver

Didn't made any editing in the Edit PKGBUILD

After this I selected the default (I think) ...

Last edited by pernils (2015-03-30 19:01:05)

#8 2015-03-30 19:03:36

mcloaked

Glad you solved it...

Mike C

Board footer