You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-31 22:04:50

Slabity

HP Stream 7: Bluetooth, Touchscreen, and Hardware Buttons

I've been working on trying to get Arch with Gnome installed on an HP Stream 7 Windows Tablet. I'm not sure if others have had success, but I figured I'll post what I've done to get most of it working and then post the issues I've been having. Note that everything I did was using a Micro USB to USB OTG adapter. You may be able to do this over an SD Card, but I have not tried it.

Working:

EFI: The device uses a 32-bit EFI, which is uncommon except in some Macbooks. I had to make a custom Arch install disk by using the following grub-install command. The id must be BOOT and the target must be i386-efi:

grub-install --target=i386-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=BOOT --boot-directory=/boot --recheck

You also need to disable secure-boot in the bios by holding Vol-down on boot.

Touchscreen: A recent patch has been released that fixes the button-event issues on this tablet:

The MSB of the first byte read via I2C seems to indicate whether the
data is valid (or ready) when an interrupt is raised. Previously, this
bit was ignored, which resulted in a lot of incorrect detections of
"finger removed" events.

Signed-off-by: Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
---
 drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.c | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)

diff --git a/drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.c b/drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.c
index ca19668..9fa6c5f 100644
--- a/drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.c
+++ b/drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.c
@@ -98,6 +98,9 @@ static int goodix_ts_read_input_report(struct goodix_ts_data *ts, u8 *data)
 		return error;
 	}

+	if (!(data[0] & 0x80))
+		return -EAGAIN;
+
 	touch_num = data[0] & 0x0f;
 	if (touch_num > GOODIX_MAX_CONTACTS)
 		return -EPROTO;

eMMC Errors: When I finished installing the base system, booting into the system resulted in a lot of I/O errors that took a good minute or so to get past at each boot. There is a patch online that will stop it and make bootup a lot faster:

https://dev-nell.com/rpmb-emmc-errors-under-linux.html

Wi-fi: The Wi-fi does not work out of the box as of Kernel 4.0. You need to install the rtl8723bs drivers from here:

https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

Not working:

Bluetooth: Despite installing the rtl8723bs drivers, the system does not detect any bluetooth adapters.

Hardware buttons: The power and volume buttons are not being seen. They are not even detected by xev.

Audio: No audio from the device.

Gravity sensors: I'm not too concerned about this, but there's no support for detecting the orientation of the tablet. I am planning on creating software buttons that I can manually rotate the screen using xrandr though.

Let me know if anyone knows a good place to start to fix the issues.

Last edited by Slabity (2015-04-26 07:24:24)

#2 2015-04-03 10:43:29

beta990

Re: HP Stream 7: Bluetooth, Touchscreen, and Hardware Buttons

Hi Slabity,

Thanks for posting the info. smile

I have a Linx 7 tablet, that seems to be almost the same as the HP Stream 7.

About the Goodix touchscreen, going to test some things by patching the kernel.
Will let you know my process.

Thanks!

#3 2015-04-04 13:26:46

beta990

Hi Slabity,

What WiFi driver are you using? And what steps did you taken? smile

Thanks!

#4 2015-04-06 17:38:10

Slabity

beta990 wrote:

Hi Slabity,

What WiFi driver are you using? And what steps did you taken? smile

Thanks!

I installed Arch like normal on a USB drive along with the install scripts and the 32-bit grub-install mentioned in my first post. Then I just installed Arch like normal on the tablet.

Once I had the base system I decided to install Gnome since it has some touch-features going on for it.

I found the rtl8723bs drivers online that I included in the first post:

git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723as.git
cd rtl8723as
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe r8723bs

I know the repository is named rtl8723as, but it has the rtl8723bs module needed. I'm not 100% sure this is the same wireless chip in the Linx tablet you have, but it might work. Bluetooth does not seem to work with this driver (yet?), I'm not sure what the status of the driver is though.

Anyways, how did the patches for the touchscreen go? I tried the ones you mentioned on the other thread, but it just made the layout get screwed up. I didn't try calibrating it after the patch though.

The touchscreen on mine seems to constantly make BTN_TOUCH events in evtest, flipping between states 0 and 1. I think that is what is causing the rapid mouse clicks, but I can't seem to find the same issue that anyone else is having.

#5 2015-06-24 20:10:12

Daviljoe193

I've gotten Arch installed on my new HP Stream 7, but I'm having one giant issue making it pretty unusable for me. I can't get Gnome 3 working, presumably due to 3D acceleration not working, but I can't get that working, so I'm still stuck with a flickering terminal and no desktop. Also, I'm working on making a guide on how I installed Arch on my HP Stream 7, as Slabity's guide was a bit bare, and didn't really work for me.

I still need help getting 3D acceleration with X.Org.

EDIT: Nevermind, X.Org is suddenly really fast again, and 3D acceleration is also working again, and I did literally nothing between the time I posted this prior and when I edited it, besides change DE from Gnome to MATE. The touchscreen is still pretty unusable, and I'm not really sure how to really do anything with the kernel patch Slabity provided, as the closest I've ever gone to patching a kernel is installing Gentoo without genkernel. Also, neither of the cameras work on the tablet, and the sound not working is slightly disappointing. sad

EDIT 2: Well, back to square one, X.Org is sluggish again (Again, after doing next to nothing besides rebooting, and not editing anything. I hate it when my tablet has this type of personality.), and now only single touch works on the touchscreen. sad

EDIT 3: Now there are a couple of issues with the device its self, and I'm probably just going to return it, as it's pretty much just a brick to me. This was pretty unfun.

Last edited by Daviljoe193 (2015-06-25 01:18:50)

I'm a noob, a noob that has installed Arch (And Gentoo.) several times on obscure hardware, and a noob that has used Linux exclusively for 6 years now, but I'm still just a noob.
Main Computer: Dell Inspiron 11 - 4GB ram, 500 GB spinning rust, plain Arch X86-64, UEFI

#6 2016-11-24 08:59:14

T0MuX

Hi people ! I post here because I'm going to do exactly the same : install Archlinux on a HP Stream 7 !

but, to begin :

Slabity wrote:
grub-install --target=i386-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=BOOT --boot-directory=/boot --recheck

In which conditions you did that ? I'm on a PC with Arch, my USB key is plugged in, and this command didn't worked even adding "/dev/sdg" at the end. So, my alternative solution is to do the following :

dd if=/blah/archlinux_blah.iso of=/dev/sdg status=progress

But I have to "cheat" because this is a 32bits EFI with a 64bits CPU...

" The only real car radio is the one who adjuts with the right foot. "

Board footer