You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-11 21:26:56

EAD

New to this, coming from other Ditro - need advice

Hii, I am using PClinuxOs, and will like to know if I should do the move?
I have some kndolge with Linux and want a System I can "play" with, that has many Power tools for development, and a good new GCC and a fast and stable Kernel and so on.
I want to use a new linux if it's better, but I don't want to start from zero, So can you give me all the help and advices you can give to make the "move" as quick and easy as possible?
Tank you smile

#2 2006-03-11 21:35:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: New to this, coming from other Ditro - need advice

Hard to answer that, EAD - you really need to come with detailed questions. Best advice? Do the install, read the wiki, and come back with any issues/comments/etc.

Re gcc and kernel - gcc is 4.0.3, and the stock kernel package is indeed fast and stable.

#3 2006-03-11 21:41:03

kensai
Website

EAD
Honestly if you want to learn more about Linux Arch is a good choice but, at this moment I won't recomment 0.7.1 unless you install only base and no X.org nor any aplication that requires X. Then pacman -Sy xorg xorg-server xorg-clients. Last but not lest pacman -Sy gnoem or kde. Remember pacman -Syu will upgrade all yuor system. Yo just will have to edit some config diles at install time, nothing to difficult read the installation guide or wiki before installing please.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#4 2006-03-12 07:35:54

EAD

OK, where is the install guide?
and why not install now?
What the prblem with X server?

#5 2006-03-12 09:33:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

The install guide is here, and kensai is referring to the fact that there have been some changes to Arch's X pacakges since the 0.7.1 iso was released. Is is therefore better to install the base system only from the CD, and then get X, your chosen DE, and anything else direct from the mirrors - after pacman -Syu, of course.

Board footer