You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-04 20:00:22

mouseman

Pacman Question

I think I noticed something today I hadn't seen before and I can't really find it explained anywhere. Maybe someone can shed some light on what I saw?

I wasn't paying attention (I was tired). But basically I was on another machine than I thought I was on (through ssh) and needed to install thunderbird. Pacman said it couldn't install and needed to refresh the package database so I ran pacman -Syy. I installed thunderbird and it said it was already installed. Not really thinking, I continued and it reinstalled fine. It was version thunderbird-31.5 and it reinstalled that version. I then ran pacman -Syu and I saw it updated thunderbird to thunderbird-31.6.0-1-x86_64.

So, after I refreshed the package database, it installed an "old" version of thunderbird, why exactly? After the refresh shouldn't it have updated thunderbird to 31.6 or is pacman being clever in ways I don't understand?

I'm just being curious here, there's no problem and despite my clumsiness everything is working fine smile.

Thanks!

#2 2015-04-04 20:57:09

smirky
Website

Re: Pacman Question

The only thing that comes to mind is that you have more than one mirror in your mirrorlist. Having that said, there's the possibility that the main mirror was skipped after the second -Syu (happens when it loses connection or if you lose too). The second mirror might have had a bigger sync interval, making the new thunderbird's version higher than the one you just synced from the mirror. That's just a wild guess here so it's probably up to you to find out.
Tip: Don't do ssh-ing while extremely sleepy or drunk big_smile

Personal spot  ::  https://www.smirky.net/  ::  Try not to get lost!

#3 2015-04-04 21:05:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

smirky wrote:

Tip: Don't do ssh-ing while extremely sleepy or drunk big_smile

Another tip: don't do partial upgrades.  Ever.  In this case that's not the issue as you did a full upgrade immediately afterwards - but one should simply never use -Sy or -Syy without a 'u'.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2015-04-04 21:26:38

karol
Archivist

mouseman wrote:

Pacman said it couldn't install and needed to refresh the package database

What was the error message exactly?

#5 2015-04-05 08:46:33

mouseman

Thanks.

karol wrote:
mouseman wrote:

Pacman said it couldn't install and needed to refresh the package database

What was the error message exactly?

I don't remember and I can't find it. It's not in /var/log/pacman.log and I digged through some journalctl logging too.

I'm afraid that if there isn't some terminal output backlog I can search through its lost.

Board footer