You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-04 23:05:44

dmidge

[solved] KF5 - plasmashell crash

Hi everyone,

Since an update, which was roughly 3 weeks ago, plasmashell is very unstable. It crashes in less than five minutes! (so I am using KDE plasma-next, aka KF5, that I updated according to the wiki).
At first, I thought it could be fixed by an update (has it happens sometime with the rolling-release model), or by resetting the configuration, but it did not. So, the last 3 weeks, I spent some time to look around to figure out what could be the problem, but I didn't find anything relevant, and at some point, I need a working KDE environment. hmm So here I am, to ask you some help! smile

So, everytime, the symptoms are the same:

1. neither the plasmashell desktop nor the taskbar is not responsive anymore/

2. Every already running applications are working fine. That means that if I am running kwrite, konsole, libreoffice at the same time, non of them crashes.

3. I can still

4. And a (not that fun) thing: I cannot highlight text without making an application crash (I think it is because the text is supposed to access Klipper in the taskbar, which is not responsive). It is a bit annoying, because it doesn't help to

5. if I kill plasmashell and launch it again in konsole, everything work again until the next crash. After a certain number of loop killing and launching, everything crash...

6. I try to change the configuration several times (by removing ~./config, ~./kde, ~/kde4). It did nothing good, except loosing time. sad

7. Sometime, after the plasmashell crash, KWallet pops up and ask to be reconfigured

My laptop is up to date. And I don't think it could be related to a graphic card driver problem:

• My laptop is 4 years old, and nouveau-dri is working fine on it since the very beginning.

• The other applications runs perfectly

• Gnome works without any problem.

• I didn't notice any driver update at the same time I had this problem

I don't think it is a kwin issue, since everything else is working perfectly. Besides, I tried to change the composer setting several times, but it did nothing good. Also, I can still navigate around the windows and desktops through the usual shortcuts.
Also, there is nothing useful in ~/.xsession-error, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, dmesg. Also, when I launch plasmashell in the konsole, nothing useful shows up in the konsole.

So, do you have any idea of how to fix the problem? At this stage, every new idea to track the bug will be very appreciated. Also, if you want more details on the problem, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by dmidge (2019-01-06 22:01:36)

#2 2015-04-04 23:08:21

dmidge

Re: [solved] KF5 - plasmashell crash

Ahhh, and I forgot to specify: I can still navigate around the windows and desktops through the usual shortcuts. Meaning that kwin is not dead!

#3 2015-04-05 09:58:58

ChemBro

Well, plasmashell crashes for me once a day, but usually recovers seconds later. Should be a known bug.

#4 2015-04-05 20:00:35

dmidge

Thank you ChemBro for your reply.

Unfortunately, it doesn't happen once a day, but roughly every 5 minutes (even less sometimes). So it is very boring, and the problem could be elsewhere. When it happens everyday, the issue can come from various sources, like memory leaks. But it can occur in 3 minutes. It is way too fast for that, and some other applications would probably crash in the meantime... That is not the case.
Besides, I find nothing on https://bugs.kde.org related to that.

I've been on KDE IRC to know what could be the problem. Nobody seemed to know. They advised me to file a bug, that I am going to do. I will give you the result.

#5 2015-04-05 20:33:27

dmidge

So, for the references, I filed the bug there:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=345901

#6 2019-01-06 22:01:50

dmidge

Solved with updates.

Board footer