You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-06 16:49:52

pertplus2

Shutdown/Hibernate doesn't always work + two cosmetic issues

HI, I have a strange issue where if I shutdown my laptop it goes through the motions of shutting down, right up until it says "Power Down", but then it just halts and doesn't actually turn off, and I have to hold the power button to complete the shutdown. I'm trying to figure out how to exactly replicate this, because it doesn't always happen. All I can say so far is that it only seems to happen if the computer's been on for a while - I've tried powering down after boot and running a few programs then powering down and both worked.

I get the systemd cgroup name mismtatch error but from what I've read it's nothing to be concerned about.

I have similar problems with Hibernate. After a fresh boot I can Hibernate, but sometimes I try to hibernate and the screen freezes just before the system would complete hibernation. At this point I must cycle the power button and boot (and it does a fresh boot, it doesn't resume). Suspend is the opposite - it suspends without freezing, and when I press a key to wake it, it resumes but is frozen, and I must cycle the power button (again leading to fresh boot).

Again with Hibernate, I just noticed that if I try to start hibernation by closing the laptop lid, I get the same problem where the screen is frozen and I have to cycle power. But if I use the LXQT menu option for Hibernate, it works (at least if I do it soon after boot, need to test further to see if it always works..)

So powerdown works sometimes, hibernate works sometimes, and suspend never resumes without freezing. I do have the resume= option specified, and the resume hook added as specified in the wiki. Im sure more information is needed to help but I dont know which logs to paste.

Two other problems that are more cosmetic but would be nice to fix:

1. When I turn the computer on and get the login screen (not using any DM), for some reason I get part of the dmesg log where my wifi is activating, showing up right where I'm supposed to be entering my credentials.
(i.e. after boot I see "hostname login: [   20.82321321 wl0: link up (wlp3s0)"). I can still type user/pass as normal, but it would be nice if the wifi info didn't show up there and remained hidden like it's supposed to !

2. When I open a terminal window inside my LXQT graphical environment (using QTerminal), instead of showing the full "[user@hotname ~]$ " prompt, I get a cut off version that looks like "ame `]$ stna" . This corrects itself if I press any key, but would be nice to have the window open with a clean prompt.

any help appreciated, thanks

#2 2015-04-06 18:01:54

karol
Archivist

Re: Shutdown/Hibernate doesn't always work + two cosmetic issues

1. Post the output of

cat /proc/cmdline

See also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1194955

Last edited by karol (2015-04-06 18:03:27)

#3 2015-04-06 18:33:05

pertplus2

thank you for your reply. My /proc/cmdline reads

initrd=\intel-ucode.img initrid=\initramfs-linux.img root=/dev/sda3 rw resume=/dev/sda2 acpi_osi=linux backlight=vendor

Might it be related to acpi_osi ? I cant recall why I added this but I think it was related to making hibernate work EDIT: I remember now, it had to do with making some of the special laptop keys work (volume up/down, Fn button, etc)

Thanks for that link, I'm looking into it but haven't found solution yet. My "Type=" line is already set to "idle". I also tried adding a custom.conf to /etc/systemd/getty@.service.d/ which contained [Unit] After=network.target (as suggested in that thread you linked) but the issue persists...  I'll keep looking for solution.

EDIT: I even added the 'quiet' kernel parameter (as a last resort, I would really prefer not to), but this still occurs!! By all accounts I've read that should have worked.. (If it helps, this exact message is also the only line in red text in journalctl -b )

Arch Linux 3.17.1-1-ARCH (tty1)
hostname login: [   21.136163] wl0:  link up (wlp3s0)

EDIT:  I noticed during boot that another message from wl0: shows, but it shows up seemingly at the wrong time (during the point where its listing [ OK ] various times):

[ OK ] foofoofoobar
[ 11.372205] wl0: online cpus 1
[ OK ] foofoobarbar

Last edited by pertplus2 (2015-04-06 21:47:10)

#4 2015-04-07 14:38:30

PhilippD

Just out of curiosity, what laptop are you using?
I had similar problems with my Thinkpad T400 since linux 3.19.1 until today, when  the package linux 3.19.3 came out.

When I used to hibernate, my laptop would not shut down completely on its own, instead I hat to hold down the power button until all LEDs went off. After that I could resume fine, though.
I was about to ask here as well.

#5 2015-04-09 16:25:13

pertplus2

It's an Asus K55LA

Oddly, last night I shut the lid after having it running all day - usually a surefire way to make it freeze during hibernate - but it worked and resumed properly! It's very strange, it will sometimes work and sometimes not.

Board footer