You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-26 14:41:10

bagol

Qemu - Bridged networking with wireless adapter

How can I use bridged networking with wireless on Qemu virtual machine? With virtualbox it can be easily done. I don't why in Qemu it is so complicated, maybe virtualbox have completely difference mechacnism on this. I've read the wiki, it looks like impossible to use wireless for bridged networking. If it is really impossible, why virtualbox can do it?

And, in arch wiki's qemu manual, i didn't see how to use NetworkManager there to do bridged networking. Since, I use NetworkManager and disable the others (like netct and dhcpcd), it make it even more complicated. But, maybe it's because me that don't understand. Maybe someone experienced here can give me a way around this?

#2 2015-04-26 16:33:03

djgera
Developer
Website

Re: Qemu - Bridged networking with wireless adapter

if you want to bridge a wifi interface that is in managed mode, should enable 4addr mode, that implies other things to setup in your AP (WDS mode).
It works in simple way from user perspective in VirtualBox because it does "magic" things: is not a bridge, is NAT at MAC layer.

#3 2015-04-26 18:44:11

brebs

bagol wrote:

How can I use bridged networking

It's up to you to set up the bridged network - or use TAP, e.g.:

ip tuntap add dev <devname> mode tap user <youruser>
ip lin set <devname> up
ip route ...
... and proxy_arp
... and iptables forwarding & masquerade

It's a good learning experience, to set up the network yourself, rather than have VirtualBox do similar things by *magic* wink

#4 2015-04-27 07:17:55

bagol

brebs wrote:

It's up to you to set up the bridged network - or use TAP

The problem is I'm using wireless and have no ethernet connection. It's make creating bridged network more complicated.
And there are a little discussion about bridge networking with NetworkManager.

Board footer