You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-15 13:28:25

Galdona

cannot connect new install, adsl-setup is missing [solved]

hello, i just installed archlinux first time. there are still so many things im ignorant, but i decided to try arch anyway.

i downloaded the base-only iso (0.7.1) and then of course read the official archlinux installation guide. in the guide it says after installing base, you can run adsl-setup (this is what i do in other linux to connect).

but after intallation, i reboot, i login as root, then make new passwd for root. everything is fine. then i try to run command adsl-setup, but its not there. i try pppoeconf, but also not there. i installed all the base packagaes, and rp-pppoe was one of them.

other commands (such as nano, man) are working.

i tried intalling two more times, but its the same. what am i missing please? help is appreciated. now i have only base archlinux and no way to proceed. i am now in knoppix, where i used pppoeconf to connect.

#2 2006-03-15 13:33:39

Sigi

Re: cannot connect new install, adsl-setup is missing [solved]

Welcome to Arch Linux!

Try to specify your network settings in /etc/rc.conf using this command:

nano -w /etc/rc.conf

Follow this Guide!

Have a lot of fun!

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#3 2006-03-15 13:46:11

Galdona

Thank you Sigi, but i dont know if that works. my ISP gave me username and password to connect, and thats part of what i put in adsl-setup. in the guide that you showed me, username and password is not mentioned.

i think, is it possible, that i will download rp-pppoe package myself and then install it? will it work?

#4 2006-03-15 13:57:26

_Gandalf_

Those package should exist on the CD (even the base one) look for it on the CD and a simple <code>pacman -U</code> to it, of course if one of the dependencies not found, look on the cd too and install them first smile

#5 2006-03-15 14:04:21

Galdona

_Gandalf_ wrote:

Those package should exist on the CD (even the base one) look for it on the CD and a simple <code>pacman -U</code> to it, of course if one of the dependencies not found, look on the cd too and install them first smile

ok, if i understand correctly, i will cd to the directory that has the packages i need, and then do pacman -U? i will try that.

#6 2006-03-15 14:09:50

Galdona

what does -U mean? in the wiki, to install local packages, it says

pacman -A /path/to/package/package_name-version.pkg.tar.gz

ok i will try that, ill be back  smile

#7 2006-03-15 14:11:32

_Gandalf_

pacman -A will install only, but pacman -U will install if not installed, or will update if already installed

#8 2006-03-15 14:58:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

Don't know if this is relevant, but the filelist for the rp-pppoe package doesn't mention adsl-setup.

I don't use it myself, but I had a look anyway.

#9 2006-03-16 14:49:02

Galdona

yes, thats true, i have found out.
its unbelievable, i was growing desperate and all that. i cd'd around the archlinux intall, eventually, by luck, i was in the /usr/sbin folder, and i saw an executable, pppoe-setup. i ran that, and that was all i needed all along!   (may i swear???)

in the various documentations of archlinux, they say that the user should run adsl-setup, which is part of the rp-pppoe package. (how come theres either pppoeconf, adsl-setup, or pppoe-setup in different distros, which all of them belong to rp-pppoe package???), but actually it should be pppoe-setup, which also belongs to rp-pppoe (does that mean roaring penguin keeps changing its mind about executable names or what?).

that means all those docs are wrong? or outdated. or whatever. anyway now i have internet, and i can continue setting up archlinux. thank you, i like what i see in this comunity. and documentation is good (except concerning above).

oh and yes tomk, i didnt know you could look at the filelist for packages, thank you for showing me that.

Board footer