You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-03 14:58:45

nstgc

[S]Systemd can't start Load Kernel Modules after upgrade to Linux 4.0

After upgrading from linux 3.19.3-3 to 4.0.1-1 I've been having a bit of an issue. At that same time I upgraded readline (6.3.006-1 → 6.3.008-1), linux-firmware (20150206.17657c3-1 → 20150410.ec89525-1), nvidia (349.16-1 → 349.16-2) , wpa_suplican (2.4-1 → 1:2.3-1), and  arpack (3.1.5-1 → 3.2.0-1). There may be some typos there since I'm copying by hand. Normally this wouldn't be much of a problem because I have been, priory to a few weeks ago, really good about back ups and would just roll my OS back 15 minutes. But things like that tend to fly out the window when the semester gets heavy. My last snapshot was on May 22nd, which I could still use, but would rather not. Also, it seems like a good idea to try to actual fix things for a change.

[edit] I should mention that this upgrade was run April 30th.[/edit]

When I finished booting the system after the upgrade, I got an error message during boot “systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.” When it finished booting I run “dmesg -l err” to confirm that I'm not having a bad day dream or something. I'm also still seeing the errors that I described in this thread. Don't know if the two are related. I also noticed, when I was logging in, that it said that my stystem was still using the old kernel. Indeed, according to “uname -r” I'm still using 3.19.3-3-ARCH.

The closest thing to experience I have with this is when I forget to mount /boot before upgrading linux, so I made sure /boot was mounted and rand “sudo pacman -S linux” to reinstall, but this didn't help. Just to check I ran “ls /lib/modules” and see the directorys “4.0.1-1-ARCH” and “extramodules-4.0-ARCH” as I would expect after a succesful upgrade of the kernel.

Running “systemctl –failed, shows that in addition to systemd-modules-load.service, lm_sensors.service has also failed. I somehow expect lm_sensors depends on systemd-modules-load. I tried “systemctl restart systemd-modules-load”, but was rewarded with a message telling me that it failed. The “journalctl -xe” log has the lines

systemd[1]: system-modules-load[1799]: Failed to look up alias 'sg': Function not implemented
systemd[1]: system-modules-load[1799]: Failed to look up alias 'nfs': Function not implemented

Looking at the Wiki for Systemd under troubleshooting it actually has an example of trying to work through this exact issue. Following that I tried

journalctl _PID=1799
systemd[1]: system-modules-load[1799]: Failed to look up alias 'sg': Function not implemented
systemd[1]: system-modules-load[1799]: Failed to look up alias 'nfs': Function not implemented

which I already mentioned. At this point that bit of the Wiki stopped being useful.

Looking up on Google Failed to look up alias 'nfs': Function not implemented returned this thread from two years ago. Running “lsmod |grep sg” or $lsmod |grep nfs” returns nothing, but it also returns nothing on this laptop I'm using as well, so I don't imagine that is useful. Also, “# grep nfs /lib/modules/4.0.1-1-ARCH/modules.alias” returns a “Nosuch file or directory” error.

Searching for something on 'sg' turned up https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=165361, which was also not useful.

As a sort of last resort I tried https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do … the_kernel

I reboot and boot into my fallback installation, running 3.19.3-3, mount the partition with my main Arch on it, and arch-chroot into it.

I downgraded linux, and nvidia, exited chroot, and rebooted hoping to the Great Bacon that I didn't do anything too damaging. After all, my back ups are more than a week out of date.

This worked. I'm still getting those annyoing (they are only annoying right?) error messages I mentioned earlier. My system seems fine, if somewhat out of date.

Still, the question remains, “why did that happen, and how do I actually fix it?”

[edit2=solution]

There were two problems. First, my grub.cfg entry was pointing to the wrong UUID. I fixed this by regenerating it. Then I noticed the UUID in the grub menu itself (during the boot prosses) did not match what was in grub.cfg. To fix this I reinstalled grub.

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-05 12:07:30)

#2 2015-05-03 15:41:38

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [S]Systemd can't start Load Kernel Modules after upgrade to Linux 4.0

Unmount /boot, is there anything in that dir? Post your partition layout and bootloader config.

#3 2015-05-03 16:02:56

nstgc

Scimmia wrote:

Unmount /boot, is there anything in that dir? Post your partition layout and bootloader config.

/dev/sr0      /mnt/bd                                  auto  noauto,user                                                 0 0  
LABEL=OSbu    /mnt/OSbu                                btrfs defaults,compress=lzo,autodefrag,noatime,discard,ssd,noauto 0 0
#LABEL=ssdswap none                                     swap  defaults,discard,pri=100                                    0 0
UUID=FE2648382647EFE7 /mnt/W7                          ntfs  defaults,noauto                                             0 0
#    btrfs parts
LABEL=raid1 /btrfs/raid1                               btrfs defaults,compress=lzo,autodefrag                            0 0
LABEL=jabod /btrfs/jabod                               btrfs defaults,commit=120,compress=zlib,autodefrag                0 0
LABEL=raid0 /btrfs/raid0                               btrfs defaults,autodefrag                                         0 0
LABEL=aroot /btrfs/aroot                               btrfs defaults,commit=20,compress=lzo,autodefrag                  0 0
#    other parts
LABEL=bckup /mnt/backup                                ext4  defaults,noauto                                             0 2
LABEL=flbck /mnt/fallback                              ext4  defaults,noauto                                             0 2
#    /
LABEL=aroot /                                          btrfs defaults,commit=20,compress=lzo,subvol=arch,noatime         0 0
LABEL=raid1 /boot                                      btrfs defaults,subvol=boot                                        0 0
#    home
#nstgc5
LABEL=raid1 /home/nstgc5                              btrfs defaults,subvol=nstgc5                                      0 0
LABEL=raid1 /home/nstgc5/Videos                       btrfs defaults,subvol=vids                                        0 0
LABEL=aroot /home/nstgc5/.local                       btrfs defaults,subvol=nstgc5/nstgc_local                          0 0
LABEL=aroot /home/nstgc5/.thunderbird                 btrfs defaults,subvol=nstgc5/nstgc_Tbird                          0 0
LABEL=aroot /home/nstgc5/.mozilla                     btrfs defaults,subvol=nstgc5/nstgc_mozilla                        0 0
LABEL=aroot /home/nstgc5/.cache                       btrfs defaults,subvol=nstgc5/nstgc_cache                          0 0
LABEL=raid0 /home/nstgc5/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps btrfs defaults,subvol=games/native/steam                          0 0
LABEL=raid0 /home/nstgc5/.cxoffice                    btrfs defaults,subvol=games/win32/cxoffice                        0 0
LABEL=raid1 /home/nstgc5/Music                        btrfs defaults,subvol=music                                       0 0
LABEL=raid1 /home/nstgc5/Work                         btrfs defaults,subvol=work                                        0 0
LABEL=jabod /home/nstgc5/Downloads                    btrfs defaults,subvol=dl,commit=120,compress=zlib                 0 0
LABEL=raid1 /home/nstgc5/Pictures                     btrfs defaults,subvol=pix                                         0 0
LABEL=raid0 /home/nstgc5/Documents/Bioware/Dragon\040Age/AddIns   btrfs defaults,subvol=games/DAOmods/Addins            0 0
LABEL=raid0 /home/nstgc5/Documents/Bioware/Dragon\040Age/packages btrfs defaults,subvol=games/DAOmods/packages          0 0
LABEL=jabod /home/nstgc5/Installers                   btrfs defaults,subvol=installers                                  0 0
LABEL=raid0 /home/nstgc5/.local/share/wineprefixes    btrfs defaults,subvol=games/win32/wineprefixes                    0 0
LABEL=raid1 /home/nstgc5/Documents                    btrfs defaults,subvol=docs                                        0 0
LABEL=aroot /home/nstgc5/.config                      btrfs defaults,subvol=nstgc5/nstgc_config                         0 0

There are three boot directories on my system, one of which should be "inactive". The first one is located in aroot/arch/boot. That is its location relative to the partition. It is a directory in the subvolume arch, on partition labeled aroot. It is a fully functional, albeit out dated, /boot. Due to some experimentation back in January I moved it to raid1/boot, where boot is a subvolume of partition raid1. At some point this summer I intend on moving it back. This would be the the third /boot on my computer. The second is a directory on the partition fallback. Only the second and third are up to date.

#4 2015-05-03 18:34:32

Scimmia
Fellow

That's a bit...insane? I'm guessing your bootloader is looking at the wrong partition or subvol?

#5 2015-05-03 19:13:38

nstgc

I don't think so. If that were the case, it wouldn't be booting now either since the old boot directory has a Linux 3.18 initial RAM images.

Also could you expound upon "insane"?

[edit] I'm running a system upgrade on my fall back installation. This doesn't have any special partitioning scheme what so ever. Everything, even /home, is on the same Ext4 partition. Let's see what that does.

[edit2] Both main and fall back installation boot perfectly after a full system upgrade of fall back. I also completely wiped the remnants of the old boot directory, and again, no ill effects.

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-03 19:27:57)

#6 2015-05-03 22:28:20

Scimmia
Fellow

Insane as in I've never seen a more complex partition/subvol layout, and I've seen some doozies back when we were using 2-4GB HDDs all over.

The bootloader is obviously still finding the old kernel image somewhere. With that layout, where is anybody's guess. Like I said, in my first post, post your bootloader config.

#7 2015-05-04 00:55:19

nstgc

Yeah. There is an actual reason for that. I like to create new user accounts for myself, but I don't want copy/move stuff that is just data. If i wanted I could just change the mount points and chown it. That and some things are mounted in my home directory that I want to go faster than others, or don't care about redundancy. If you wish to make suggests to clear that up, I'm open to them.

As for the boot configurations, sorry about that. I over looked that.

below is from /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="0"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos 
insmod btrfs
set root='hd4,msdos1'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd4,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd4,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci4,msdos1  3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae
fi
    font="/arch/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_input console
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
  set timeout_style=menu
  set timeout=5
# Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
# unavailable.
else
  set timeout=5
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Arch Linux' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
	load_video
	set gfxpayload=keep
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod btrfs
	set root='hd2,msdos2'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd2,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd2,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci2,msdos2  --hint-bios=hd5,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd5,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci5,msdos1  --hint-bios=hd1,msdos3 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos3 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos3  dfa989d8-edac-4c7e-b6fc-45237e6a0ebc
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root dfa989d8-edac-4c7e-b6fc-45237e6a0ebc
	fi
	echo	'Loading Linux linux ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae rw rootflags=subvol=arch  quiet
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Arch Linux' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
	menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux linux' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-linux-advanced-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
		load_video
		set gfxpayload=keep
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod btrfs
		set root='hd2,msdos2'
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd2,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd2,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci2,msdos2  --hint-bios=hd5,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd5,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci5,msdos1  --hint-bios=hd1,msdos3 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos3 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos3  dfa989d8-edac-4c7e-b6fc-45237e6a0ebc
		else
		fi
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae rw rootflags=subvol=arch  quiet
		initrd	/boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
	}
	menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux linux (fallback initramfs)' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-linux-fallback-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
		load_video
		set gfxpayload=keep
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod btrfs
		set root='hd2,msdos2'
		else
		fi
		initrd	/boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdd2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-30F403F0F403B75E' {
	insmod part_gpt 
	insmod ntfs
	set root='hd3,gpt2'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt2  30F403F0F403B75E
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 30F403F0F403B75E
	fi
	chainloader +1
}
menuentry 'Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdd4)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-FE2648382647EFE7' {
	insmod part_gpt 
	insmod ntfs
	set root='hd3,gpt4'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt4 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt4 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt4  FE2648382647EFE7
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root FE2648382647EFE7
	fi
	chainloader +1
}
menuentry 'Arch (on /dev/sdd5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd' {
	insmod part_gpt 
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd3,gpt5'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt5  832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd
	fi
	linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sdd5
	initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Arch (on /dev/sdd5)' $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-advanced-832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd' {
	menuentry 'Arch (on /dev/sdd5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-linux--832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd' {
		insmod part_gpt 
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd3,gpt5'
		  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt5  832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd
		else
		fi
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ ###
if [ "${grub_platform}" == "pc" ]; then
    menuentry "Memory Tester (memtest86+)" --class memtest86 --class gnu --class tool {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root --hint-bios=hd2,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd2,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci2,msdos2  --hint-bios=hd5,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd5,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci5,msdos1  --hint-bios=hd1,msdos3 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos3 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos3  dfa989d8-edac-4c7e-b6fc-45237e6a0ebc
        linux16 /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin 
    }
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ ###

I just remembered something. I had some nasty corruption in aroot and about 3 weeks ago I rsynced from backup. I still have a partition (exactly 1) named aroot-old. Given my issues with this as well as my problem with Systemd complaining about drive paths by label, I don't feel comfortable deleting that partition quite yet.

#8 2015-05-04 02:10:41

Scimmia
Fellow

OK, assuming you're using the "Arch Linux" entry, it appears that it's looking in a /boot dir on hd2,msdos2(UUID dfa989d8-edac-4c7e-b6fc-45237e6a0ebc, probably sdc2?). The fact that it's in a /boot dir tells me that it's not loading from a dedicated boot partition.

Last edited by Scimmia (2015-05-04 02:12:08)

#9 2015-05-04 04:19:07

coolsa

I had the same issues, but I solved it. Turns out that AMD Catalyst was requiring the kernel for some reason, so I had to uninstall it, installing the mesa drivers instead.

Try attempting to uninstall the linux kernel, if it has anything dependent on it, that might need to be uninstalled.

Hope that helps you!

#10 2015-05-04 04:22:03

Scimmia
Fellow

coolsa, that is a completely different issue.

#11 2015-05-04 11:46:25

nstgc

Well, I took snapshots, not back ups but they work well enough for this, and rsynced /boot/ to where it use to be, moved/renamed the subvolume boot, and commented out the appropriate line in fstab. I also deleted that other /boot from before. I unmount /boot, and regenerate my grub.cfg. If my machine still boots, I'll try for an upgrade.

grub.cfg now looks like

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="0"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos 
insmod part_msdos 
insmod part_msdos 
insmod btrfs
set root='hd4,msdos1'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd4,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd4,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci4,msdos1  --hint-bios=hd1,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos2  --hint-bios=hd5,msdos4 --hint-efi=hd5,msdos4 --hint-baremetal=ahci5,msdos4  3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae
else
fi
    font="/arch/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_input console
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
  set timeout_style=menu
  set timeout=5
# Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
# unavailable.
else
  set timeout=5
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Arch Linux' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
	load_video
	set gfxpayload=keep
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod btrfs
	set root='hd4,msdos1'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd4,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd4,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci4,msdos1  --hint-bios=hd1,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos2  --hint-bios=hd5,msdos4 --hint-efi=hd5,msdos4 --hint-baremetal=ahci5,msdos4  3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae
	else
	fi
	linux	/arch/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae rw rootflags=subvol=arch  quiet
	initrd	/arch/boot/intel-ucode.img /arch/boot/initramfs-linux.img
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Arch Linux' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
	menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux linux' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-linux-advanced-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
		load_video
		set gfxpayload=keep
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod btrfs
		set root='hd4,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		linux	/arch/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae rw rootflags=subvol=arch  quiet
	}
	menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux linux (fallback initramfs)' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-linux-fallback-3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae' {
		load_video
		set gfxpayload=keep
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod part_msdos 
		insmod btrfs
		set root='hd4,msdos1'
		else
		fi
		initrd	/arch/boot/intel-ucode.img /arch/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdd2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-30F403F0F403B75E' {
	insmod part_gpt 
	insmod ntfs
	set root='hd3,gpt2'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt2  30F403F0F403B75E
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 30F403F0F403B75E
	fi
	chainloader +1
}
menuentry 'Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdd4)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-FE2648382647EFE7' {
	insmod part_gpt 
	insmod ntfs
	set root='hd3,gpt4'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd3,gpt4 --hint-efi=hd3,gpt4 --hint-baremetal=ahci3,gpt4  FE2648382647EFE7
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root FE2648382647EFE7
	fi
	chainloader +1
}
menuentry 'Arch (on /dev/sdd5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd' {
	insmod part_gpt 
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd3,gpt5'
	else
	fi
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Arch (on /dev/sdd5)' $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-advanced-832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd' {
	menuentry 'Arch (on /dev/sdd5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-linux--832bcc8d-836e-4b4e-8d9c-0a19f5bcf7dd' {
		insmod part_gpt 
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd3,gpt5'
		else
		fi
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ ###
if [ "${grub_platform}" == "pc" ]; then
    menuentry "Memory Tester (memtest86+)" --class memtest86 --class gnu --class tool {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root --hint-bios=hd4,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd4,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci4,msdos1  --hint-bios=hd1,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos2  --hint-bios=hd5,msdos4 --hint-efi=hd5,msdos4 --hint-baremetal=ahci5,msdos4  3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae
        linux16 /arch/boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin 
    }
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ ###

It seems as if the lines you mentioned, Scimmia, have changed. I'll take that as a good sign.

[edit] System still boots. Trying for the upgrade.

[edit2] Still can't use Linux 4.0. I'm getting the same errors as before.

[edit3] Successfully downgraded.

[edit4] I looked through /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and there isn't anything in there that isn't in my laptop's. I don't know if this will help, but here is the output of "pacman -Q"

a52dec 0.7.4-8
aalib 1.4rc5-10
abs 2.4.4-2
accountsservice 0.6.40-1
acl 2.2.52-2
adobe-source-han-sans-jp-fonts 1.002-1
adwaita-icon-theme 3.16.0-1
alsa-lib 1.0.29-1
alsa-plugins 1.0.29-2
alsa-utils 1.0.29-1
alsi 0.4.7-1
arch-install-scripts 15-1
arch-wiki-docs 20150219-1
arch-wiki-lite 20150219-2
archlinux-keyring 20150212-1
arpack 3.2.0-1
aspell 0.60.6.1-2
asunder 2.7-1
at-spi2-atk 2.16.0-1
at-spi2-core 2.16.0-1
atk 2.16.0-1
atkmm 2.22.7-1
attr 2.4.47-1
autoconf 2.69-2
automake 1.15-1
avahi 0.6.31-15
awesome 3.5.6-1
bash 4.3.033-1
bash-completion 2.1-5
bc 1.06.95-1
bcache-tools 1.0.8-1
bigpkg 0.4.0-2
binutils 2.25-2
bison 3.0.4-1
blas 3.5.0-1
bluez 5.30-1
bluez-libs 5.30-1
bonnie++ 1.97-1
boost 1.58.0-1
boost-libs 1.58.0-1
btrfs-progs 3.19.1-1
bullet 2.82-1
bzip2 1.0.6-5
ca-certificates 20150402-1
ca-certificates-cacert 20140824-2
ca-certificates-mozilla 3.18-3
ca-certificates-utils 20150402-1
cabextract 1.4-3
cairo 1.14.2-1
cairo-clock 0.3.4-4
cairo-dock 3.4.1-1
cairo-dock-plug-ins 3.4.1-1
cairomm 1.10.0-3
calibre 2.27.0-1
cantarell-fonts 0.0.16-2
caribou 0.4.18.1-1
cddb-py 1.4-7
cdparanoia 10.2-5
cdrdao 1.2.3-7
cdrtools 3.01a28-1
celt 0.11.3-2
cfv 1.18.3-6
cheese 3.16.1-1
chmlib 0.40-4
chromaprint 1.1-2
chromium 42.0.2311.135-1
chromium-pepper-flash 1:17.0.0.169-3
cifs-utils 6.4-1
cinnamon-desktop 2.4.2-1
cinnamon-translations 2.4.4-1
clementine 1.2.3-5
clucene 2.3.3.4-8
clutter 1.22.0-2
clutter-gst2 2.0.14-1
clutter-gtk 1.6.0-2
cmus 2.6.0-4
cogl 1.20.0-1
colord 1.2.9-2
colord-gtk 0.1.26-2
compositeproto 0.4.2-3
confuse 2.7-3
coreutils 8.23-1
cracklib 2.9.4-1
cryptsetup 1.6.6-1
cups 2.0.2-4
cups-filters 1.0.68-1
cups-pk-helper 0.2.5-1
curl 7.42.0-1
damageproto 1.2.1-3
db 5.3.28-2
dbus 1.8.16-2
dbus-glib 0.102-2
dconf 0.24.0-1
desktop-file-utils 0.22-1
device-mapper 2.02.116-1
dhclient 4.3.2-1
dhcpcd 6.8.1-1
dia 0.97.3-1
dialog 1:1.2_20150225-1
dictd 1.12.1-4
diffutils 3.3-2
ding-libs 0.4.0-3
djvulibre 3.5.27-1
dnssec-anchors 20150403-1
dotconf 1.3-4
dri2proto 2.8-2
dri3proto 1.0-1
dvd+rw-tools 7.1-5
dvdisaster 0.72.6-1
e2fsprogs 1.42.12-2
ecryptfs-utils 106-1
ed 1.11-1
efl 1.13.2-1
elementary 1.13.2-1
elfutils 0.161-3
enca 1.16-1
enchant 1.6.0-5
enlightenment 0.19.4-1
evas_generic_loaders 1.13.2-1
evince 3.16.0-1
exempi 2.2.2-1
exfat-utils 1.1.1-1
exif-py 1.2.0-1
exiv2 0.24-1
expac 4-3
expat 2.1.0-4
extcalc 0.9.3_1-3
faac 1.28-5
faad2 2.7-4
fakeroot 1.20.2-1
fbreader 0.99.4-4
ffmpeg 1:2.6.2-1
fftw 3.3.4-1
file 5.22-1
file-roller 3.16.1-1
filesystem 2015.02-1
findutils 4.4.2-6
firefox 37.0.2-1
fixesproto 5.0-3
flac 1.3.1-1
flashplugin 11.2.202.457-1
flex 2.5.39-1
fltk 1.3.3-4
fluidsynth 1.1.6-4
fontconfig 2.11.1-1
fontsproto 2.1.3-1
foomatic-db 3:20150308-1
foomatic-db-engine 3:20150308-1
freetype2 2.5.5-1
fribidi 0.19.6-2
fsarchiver 0.6.19-1
fuse 2.9.3-2
fuse-exfat 1.1.0-1
gawk 4.1.2-1
gc 7.4.2-2
gcc-fortran 4.9.2-4
gcc-libs-multilib 4.9.2-4
gcc-multilib 4.9.2-4
gconf 3.2.6-3
gcr 3.15.92-1
gd 2.1.1-2
gdb 7.9-1
gdbm 1.11-1
gdk-pixbuf2 2.31.3-1
geany 1.24.1-1
gemrb 0.8.2-1
geoclue 0.12.99-2
geoclue2 2.2.0-2
geocode-glib 3.16.0-1
gettext 0.19.4-1
ghostscript 9.16-1
giflib 5.1.1-1
git 2.3.7-1
gjs 1.43.3-1
glew 1.12.0-1
glib-networking 2.44.0-2
glib2 2.44.0-1
glibc 2.21-3
glibmm 2.44.0-1
glproto 1.4.17-1
glu 9.0.0-3
gmime 2.6.20-2
gmp 6.0.0-2
gnome-bluetooth 3.16.1-1
gnome-color-manager 3.16.0-1
gnome-control-center 3.16.1-2
gnome-desktop 1:3.16.1-1
gnome-dictionary 3.16.1-1
gnome-disk-utility 3.16.0-1
gnome-menus 3.13.3-1
gnome-online-accounts 3.16.0-2
gnome-session 3.16.0-1
gnome-settings-daemon 3.16.1-1
gnome-shell 3.16.1-2
gnome-shell-extensions 3.16.1-1
gnome-system-monitor 3.16.0-1
gnome-themes-standard 3.16.0-1
gnome-tweak-tool 3.16.1-1
gnome-video-effects 0.4.1-1
gnupg 2.1.3-3
gnuplot 5.0.0-2
gnutls 3.4.0-1
gobject-introspection 1.44.0-1
gobject-introspection-runtime 1.44.0-1
google-chrome 42.0.2311.135-1
gparted 0.22.0-1
gpgme 1.5.4-1
gpm 1.20.7-4
graphite 1:1.2.4-1
grep 2.21-2
grilo 0.2.12-1
groff 1.22.3-3
grsync 1.2.5-1
grub 1:2.02.beta2-5
gsettings-desktop-schemas 3.16.1-1
gsfonts 20150122-1
gsm 1.0.13-8
gssproxy 0.4.1-1
gst-libav 1.4.5-1
gst-plugins-bad 1.4.5-2
gst-plugins-base 1.4.5-1
gst-plugins-base-libs 1.4.5-1
gst-plugins-good 1.4.5-2
gst-plugins-ugly 1.4.5-2
gstreamer 1.4.5-1
gstreamer0.10 0.10.36-4
gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.36-3
gstreamer0.10-base-plugins 0.10.36-3
gstreamer0.10-good 0.10.31-6
gstreamer0.10-good-plugins 0.10.31-6
gstreamer0.10-python 0.10.22-2
gstreamer0.10-ugly 0.10.19-14
gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins 0.10.19-14
gthumb 3.4.0-1
gtk-update-icon-cache 2.24.27-1
gtk2 2.24.27-1
gtk3 3.16.2-1
gtkmm 2.24.4-1
gtkmm3 3.16.0-1
guile 2.0.11-2
gvfs 1.24.1-1
gvfs-mtp 1.24.1-1
gzip 1.6-1
hal-info 0.20091130-2
harfbuzz 0.9.40-2
harfbuzz-icu 0.9.40-2
haveged 1.9.1-2
hdparm 9.45-1
hdsentinel 0.8-2
help2man 1.46.4-1
hicolor-icon-theme 0.13-1
hplip 3.15.4-1
hspell 1.2-2
htmlcxx 0.85-4
htop 1.0.3-2
hunspell 1.3.3-1
hwids 20150129-1
hwinfo 21.10.1.1-1
hwloc 1.10.1-1
hyphen 2.8.8-1
i3-wm 4.10.2-1
i3lock 2.6-1
i3status 2.9-1
i7z 0.27.2.git1-1
iana-etc 2.30-4
icedtea-web 1.5.2-1
icu 55.1-1
imagemagick 6.9.1.0-1
imagewriter 1.10.1420800585.134a9b3-1
imlib2 1.4.7-1
inetutils 1.9.2-2
innoextract 1.4-0
inputproto 2.3.1-1
intel-tbb 4.3_20150209-1
intel-ucode 20150121-1
inxi 2.2.19-1
iproute2 3.19.0-1
iptables 1.4.21-3
iputils 20121221-3
ipython 3.1.0-1
iso-codes 3.57-1
jack 0.124.1-3
jansson 2.7-1
jasper 1.900.1-13
java-environment-common 2-2
java-runtime-common 2-2
jdk7-openjdk 7.u79_2.5.5-1
jfsutils 1.1.15-4
jmtpfs 0.5-1
jre7-openjdk 7.u79_2.5.5-1
jre7-openjdk-headless 7.u79_2.5.5-1
js 24.2.0-1
js17 17.0.0-1
json-c 0.12-2
json-glib 1.0.2-1
jsoncpp 1.4.4-1
julia 2:0.3.7-1
julia-docs 2:0.3.7-1
kbd 2.0.2-1
kbproto 1.0.7-1
keyutils 1.5.9-1
kmod 20-1
krb5 1.13.1-1
kvirc 4.2.0-4
lame 3.99.5-2
lapack 3.5.0-1
lcms 1.19-5
lcms2 2.6-1
ldb 1.1.20-1
ldns 1.6.17-2
less 471-1
lgogdownloader-git 20150310-1
lib32-acl 2.2.52-2
lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.29-1
lib32-alsa-plugins 1.0.29-2
lib32-atk 2.16.0-1
lib32-attr 2.4.47-1
lib32-bzip2 1.0.6-2
lib32-cairo 1.14.2-1
lib32-curl 7.41.0-1
lib32-db 5.3.28-2
lib32-e2fsprogs 1.42.12-1
lib32-elfutils 0.161-2
lib32-expat 2.1.0-2
lib32-fakeroot 1.20.2-1
lib32-flac 1.3.1-1
lib32-flashplugin 11.2.202.457-1
lib32-fontconfig 2.11.1-1
lib32-freetype2 2.5.5-1
lib32-gcc-libs 4.9.2-4
lib32-gdk-pixbuf2 2.31.3-2
lib32-gettext 0.19.4-1
lib32-giflib 5.1.1-1
lib32-glew 1.12.0-1
lib32-glib2 2.44.0-1
lib32-glibc 2.21-2
lib32-glu 9.0.0-2
lib32-gmp 6.0.0-1
lib32-gnutls 3.4.0-2
lib32-gsm 1.0.13-9
lib32-gtk2 2.24.27-1
lib32-harfbuzz 0.9.40-2
lib32-icu 55.1-1
lib32-jack 0.124.1-1
lib32-json-c 0.12-1
lib32-keyutils 1.5.9-1
lib32-krb5 1.13.1-1
lib32-lcms2 2.6-1
lib32-libaio 0.3.110-1
lib32-libasyncns 0.8-7
lib32-libcanberra 0.30-4
lib32-libcap 2.24-1
lib32-libcl 1.1-1
lib32-libcups 2.0.2-2
lib32-libdbus 1.8.16-1
lib32-libdrm 2.4.60-1
lib32-libffi 3.2.1-1
lib32-libgcrypt 1.6.3-1
lib32-libgpg-error 1.18-1
lib32-libice 1.0.9-1
lib32-libidn 1.30-1
lib32-libjpeg-turbo 1.4.0-1
lib32-libldap 2.4.40-1
lib32-libltdl 2.4.5-1
lib32-libnl 3.2.25-1
lib32-libogg 1.3.2-1
lib32-libpcap 1.6.2-1
lib32-libpciaccess 0.13.4-1
lib32-libpng 1.6.16-1
lib32-libpulse 6.0-1
lib32-libsamplerate 0.1.8-2
lib32-libsm 1.2.2-1
lib32-libsndfile 1.0.25-3
lib32-libssh2 1.5.0-1
lib32-libtasn1 4.4-1
lib32-libtiff 4.0.3-3
lib32-libtxc_dxtn 1.0.1-5
lib32-libusb 1.0.19-1
lib32-libvorbis 1.3.5-1
lib32-libx11 1.6.3-1
lib32-libxau 1.0.8-1
lib32-libxcb 1.11-1
lib32-libxcomposite 0.4.4-2
lib32-libxcursor 1.1.14-1
lib32-libxdamage 1.1.4-2
lib32-libxdmcp 1.1.2-1
lib32-libxext 1.3.3-1
lib32-libxfixes 5.0.1-1
lib32-libxft 2.3.2-1
lib32-libxi 1.7.4-1
lib32-libxinerama 1.1.3-1
lib32-libxml2 2.9.2-1
lib32-libxmu 1.1.2-1
lib32-libxrandr 1.4.2-1
lib32-libxrender 0.9.8-1
lib32-libxshmfence 1.2-1
lib32-libxslt 1.1.28-2
lib32-libxt 1.1.4-1
lib32-libxtst 1.2.2-1
lib32-libxxf86vm 1.1.4-1
lib32-llvm-libs 3.6.0-1
lib32-mesa 10.5.4-1
lib32-mpg123 1.22.1-1
lib32-ncurses 5.9-3
lib32-nettle 3.1.1-1
lib32-nspr 4.10.8-1
lib32-nss 3.18-1
lib32-nvidia-libgl 349.16-1
lib32-nvidia-utils 349.16-1
lib32-openal 1.16.0-1
lib32-openssl 1.0.2.a-1
lib32-p11-kit 0.23.1-2
lib32-pango 1.36.8-1
lib32-pcre 8.36-1
lib32-pixman 0.32.6-1
lib32-portaudio 19_20140130-1
lib32-readline 6.3.008-1
lib32-sdl 1.2.15-6
lib32-soundtouch 1.8.0-1
lib32-sqlite 3.8.9-1
lib32-systemd 219-1
lib32-tdb 1.3.4-1
lib32-util-linux 2.26.1-1
lib32-v4l-utils 1.6.0-1
lib32-wayland 1.7.0-1
lib32-wxgtk 3.0.2-4
lib32-xz 5.2.1-1
lib32-zlib 1.2.8-1
libabw 0.1.1-1
libaio 0.3.110-1
libao 1.2.0-1
libarchive 3.1.2-8
libart-lgpl 2.3.21-3
libass 0.12.1-1
libassuan 2.2.0-1
libasyncns 0.8-5
libatasmart 0.19-3
libatomic_ops 7.4.2-1
libavc1394 0.5.4-2
libbluray 0.8.0-1
libbsd 0.7.0-1
libcaca 0.99.beta18-2
libcanberra 0.30-5
libcanberra-pulse 0.30-5
libcap 2.24-2
libcap-ng 0.7.4-1
libcddb 1.3.2-4
libcdio 0.93-1
libcdio-paranoia 10.2+0.93+1-1
libcdr 0.1.1-2
libcl 1.1-4
libcroco 0.6.8-2
libcue 1.4.0-4
libcups 2.0.2-4
libdaemon 0.14-3
libdatrie 0.2.8-1
libdbus 1.8.16-2
libdca 0.0.5-4
libdrm 2.4.60-2
libdv 1.0.0-6
libdvbpsi 1:1.1.2-1
libdvdcss 1.3.0-1
libdvdnav 5.0.2-1
libdvdread 5.0.1-1
libe-book 0.1.2-2
libebml 1.3.1-1
libedit 20150325_3.1-1
libepoxy 1.2-2
libetonyek 0.1.1-1
libev 4.19-1
libevdev 1.4.2-1
libevent 2.0.22-1
libexif 0.6.21-2
libffi 3.2.1-1
libfontenc 1.1.3-1
libftdi-compat 0.20-1
libgcrypt 1.6.3-2
libgcrypt15 1.5.4-4
libgdm 3.16.1.1-1
libgee 0.18.0-1
libglade 2.6.4-5
libgme 0.6.0-3
libgnome-keyring 3.12.0-2
libgnomekbd 3.6.0-2
libgpg-error 1.19-1
libgpod 0.8.3-4
libgssglue 0.4-2
libgsystem 2015.1-1
libgtop 2.30.0-1
libgusb 0.2.4-1
libgweather 3.16.1-1
libgxps 0.2.2-3
libibus 1.5.10-1
libical 1.0.1-2
libice 1.0.9-1
libid3tag 0.15.1b-8
libidn 1.30-1
libiec61883 1.2.0-4
libimobiledevice 1.2.0-1
libinput 0.14.1-1
libirman 0.4.5-4
libjpeg-turbo 1.4.0-1
libkate 0.4.1-5
libksba 1.3.3-1
liblastfm 1.0.9-1
libldap 2.4.40-2
liblqr 0.4.2-1
libmaa 1.3.2-2
libmad 0.15.1b-7
libmatroska 1.4.2-1
libmediainfo 0.7.73-1
libmikmod 3.3.7-1
libmm-glib 1.4.6-1
libmms 0.6.4-1
libmng 2.0.2-3
libmodplug 0.8.8.5-1
libmp4v2 2.0.0-3
libmpc 1.0.3-1
libmpcdec 1.2.6-4
libmpeg2 0.5.1-5
libmspub 0.1.2-2
libmtp 1.1.8-1
libmwaw 0.3.4-1
libmygpo-qt 1.0.8-1
libndp 1.4-1
libnewt 0.52.18-2
libnl 3.2.25-1
libnm-glib 1.0.0-2
libnotify 0.7.6-1
liboauth 1.0.3-1
libodfgen 0.1.3-1
libofa 0.9.3-5
libogg 1.3.2-1
libomxil-bellagio 0.9.3-1
libpagemaker 0.0.2-1
libpaper 1.1.24-7
libpcap 1.6.2-1
libpciaccess 0.13.4-1
libpipeline 1.4.0-1
libplist 1.12-1
libpng 1.6.16-1
libproxy 0.4.11-5
libpulse 6.0-1
libpwquality 1.2.3-1
libquvi 0.9.4-3
libquvi-scripts 0.9.20131130-2
libqzeitgeist 0.8.0-4
libraw 0.16.0-3
libraw1394 2.1.0-2
libreoffice-fresh 4.4.2-1
librevenge 0.0.2-1
librpcsecgss 0.19-8
librsvg 1:2.40.9-1
libsamplerate 0.1.8-3
libsasl 2.1.26-7
libseccomp 2.2.0-1
libsecret 0.18-1
libshout 1:2.3.1-2
libsidplay 1.36.59-6
libsigc++ 2.4.1-1
libsigsegv 2.10-2
libsm 1.2.2-2
libsndfile 1.0.25-3
libsodium 1.0.2-1
libsoup 2.50.0-1
libspectre 0.2.7-2
libsrtp 15.1c9bd90-3
libssh 0.6.5-1
libssh2 1.5.0-1
libsystemd 219-6
libtar 1.2.20-2
libtasn1 4.4-1
libteam 1.14-2
libthai 0.1.21-1
libtheora 1.1.1-3
libtiff 4.0.3-5
libtiger 0.3.4-4
libtirpc 0.2.5-1
libtool 2.4.6-1
libtxc_dxtn 1.0.1-6
libunibreak 1.1-1
libunistring 0.9.5-1
libunwind 1.1-2
libupnp 1.6.19-1
libusb 1.0.19-1
libusb-compat 0.1.5-1
libusbmuxd 1.0.10-1
libutempter 1.1.6-2
libutil-linux 2.26.1-3
libva 1.5.1-1
libvdpau 1.1-1
libvisio 0.1.1-2
libvisual 0.4.0-5
libvorbis 1.3.5-1
libvpx 1.4.0-2
libwacom 0.11-1
libwbclient 4.2.1-1
libwebp 0.4.3-1
libwmf 0.2.8.4-12
libwpd 0.10.0-1
libwpg 0.3.0-1
libwps 0.3.1-1
libx11 1.6.3-1
libx264 2:144.20150223-1
libx86 1.1-4
libx86emu 1.1.23.1-1
libxau 1.0.8-2
libxaw 1.0.13-1
libxcb 1.11-1
libxcomposite 0.4.4-2
libxcursor 1.1.14-2
libxdamage 1.1.4-2
libxdg-basedir 1.2.0-3
libxdmcp 1.1.2-1
libxext 1.3.3-1
libxfixes 5.0.1-1
libxfont 1.5.1-1
libxft 2.3.2-1
libxi 1.7.4-1
libxinerama 1.1.3-2
libxkbcommon 0.5.0-1
libxkbcommon-x11 0.5.0-1
libxkbfile 1.0.9-1
libxklavier 5.4-1
libxml2 2.9.2-2
libxmu 1.1.2-1
libxp 1.0.3-1
libxpm 3.5.11-1
libxrandr 1.4.2-2
libxrender 0.9.9-1
libxshmfence 1.2-1
libxslt 1.1.28-3
libxss 1.2.2-2
libxt 1.1.5-1
libxtst 1.2.2-1
libxv 1.0.10-1
libxvmc 1.0.9-1
libxxf86dga 1.1.4-1
libxxf86vm 1.1.4-1
libyaml 0.1.6-1
libzen 0.4.31-1
libzip 0.11.2-1
licenses 20140629-1
links 2.9-1
linux 3.19.3-3
linux-api-headers 3.18.5-1
linux-firmware 20150410.ec89525-1
lirc 1:0.9.2.a-1
llvm-libs 3.6.0-5
lm_sensors 3.3.5-1
logrotate 3.8.9-1
lpsolve 5.5.2.0-3
lrzip 0.621-1
lua 5.2.4-1
lua-bitop 1.0.2-5
lua-expat 1.3.0-1
lua-lgi 0.8.0-2
lua-socket 3.0rc1-4
lua51 5.1.5-4
luajit 2.0.3-3
lvm2 2.02.116-1
lxdream 0.9.1-3
lz4 128-1
lzo 2.09-1
m4 1.4.17-1
make 4.1-1
man-db 2.7.1-1
man-pages 3.83-1
mcomix 1.01-1
mcpp 2.7.2-5
mdadm 3.3.2-1
memtest86+ 5.01-1
mencoder 37379-3
mesa 10.5.4-1
metamorphose2 0.8.3-2
mime-types 9-1
minitube 2.4-1
mjpegtools 2.1.0-1
mkinitcpio 18-2
mkinitcpio-busybox 1.21.1-2
mkvtoolnix-cli 7.8.0-3
mobile-broadband-provider-info 20120614-2
morituri-git 0.2.3.r3.gb1d685f-1
mozilla-common 1.4-4
mpfr 3.1.2.p11-1
mpg123 1.22.1-1
mplayer 37379-3
mtdev 1.1.5-1
mutagen 1.28-1
mutter 3.16.1.1-1
ncurses 5.9-7
nemo 2.4.5-1
neon 0.30.1-1
net-snmp 5.7.3-1
netctl 1.10-2
nettle 3.1.1-1
network-manager-applet 1.0.0-2
networkmanager 1.0.0-2
nfs-utils 1.3.2-6
nfsidmap 0.26-1
nm-connection-editor 1.0.0-2
npth 1.2-1
nspr 4.10.8-1
nss 3.18-3
ntfs-3g 2015.3.14-1
nvidia 349.16-1
nvidia-libgl 349.16-1
nvidia-utils 349.16-1
ogmtools 1.5-5
openal 1.16.0-1
opencore-amr 0.1.3-2
openjpeg 1.5.2-1
openmpi 1.8.4-1
openresolv 3.6.1-1
openssh 6.8p1-2
openssl 1.0.2.a-1
opus 1.1-1
orc 0.4.23-1
os-prober 1.64-1
p11-kit 0.23.1-2
p7zip 9.38.1-3
package-query 1.5-2
pacman 4.2.1-1
pacman-mirrorlist 20150315-1
pacmatic 20150126-1
pam 1.1.8-5
pambase 20130928-1
pango 1.36.8-1
pangomm 2.36.0-1
par2cmdline-tbb 20141125-1
parallel 20150322-1
parted 3.2-2
patch 2.7.5-1
pciutils 3.3.1-1
pcmciautils 018-7
pcre 8.36-2
pcsx2-git 1.3.1.r978.1aebca3-1
perl 5.20.2-1
perl-clone 0.37-2
perl-data-dump 1.22-1
perl-dbi 1.633-1
perl-encode-locale 1.04-1
perl-error 0.17023-1
perl-file-basedir 0.07-1
perl-file-listing 6.04-2
perl-file-which 1.09-4
perl-html-parser 3.71-3
perl-html-tagset 3.20-4
perl-http-cookies 6.01-2
perl-http-daemon 6.01-2
perl-http-date 6.02-2
perl-http-message 6.06-2
perl-http-negotiate 6.01-2
perl-ipc-system-simple 1.25-1
perl-libwww 6.08-1
perl-locale-gettext 1.05-11
perl-lwp-mediatypes 6.02-2
perl-net-http 6.07-1
perl-uri 1.67-1
perl-www-robotrules 6.02-2
perl-xml-libxml 2.0121-1
perl-xml-namespacesupport 1.11-3
perl-xml-sax 0.99-4
perl-xml-sax-base 1.08-3
phonon-qt4 4.8.3-1
phonon-qt4-gstreamer 4.8.2-1
phoronix-test-suite 5.6.0-1
php 5.6.8-2
pinentry 0.9.1-1
pixman 0.32.6-1
pkg-config 0.28-2
pkgfile 15-1
pms 1.90.1-1
podofo 0.9.3-1
polkit 0.112-2
poppler 0.32.0-1
poppler-glib 0.32.0-1
poppler-qt5 0.32.0-1
popt 1.16-7
portaudio 19_20140130-1
presentproto 1.0-1
printproto 1.0.5-3
procps-ng 3.3.10-2
protobuf 2.6.1-1
psmisc 22.21-2
pth 2.0.7-5
pulseaudio 6.0-1
pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
pv 1.6.0-1
pygobject-devel 3.16.1-1
pygobject2-devel 2.28.6-11
pygtk 2.24.0-5
pyqt4-common 4.11.3-4
pyqt5-common 5.4.1-2
python 3.4.3-2
python-dateutil 2.4.1-1
python-dbus 1.2.0-4
python-dbus-common 1.2.0-4
python-gmpy2 2.0.5-2
python-gobject 3.16.1-1
python-html2text 2015.4.14-1
python-matplotlib 1.4.3-2
python-mpmath 0.19-1
python-nose 1.3.6-1
python-numexpr 2.4.3-1
python-numpy 1.9.2-2
python-pandas 0.16.0-2
python-pygments 2.0.2-2
python-pyparsing 2.0.3-1
python-pyqt4 4.11.3-4
python-pyqt5 5.4.1-2
python-pytz 2015.2-1
python-pyzmq 14.5.0-2
python-scipy 0.15.1-2
python-setuptools 1:15.2-1
python-sip 4.16.7-1
python-six 1.9.0-1
python-sympy 0.7.6-2
python-tornado 4.1.0-2
python-xdg 0.25-2
python2 2.7.9-1
python2-apsw 3.8.9-1
python2-atspi 2.16.0-1
python2-beaker 1.7.0-1
python2-cairo 1.10.0-2
python2-chardet 2.3.0-1
python2-cherrypy 3.6.0-1
python2-cssselect 0.9.1-2
python2-cssutils 1.0-2
python2-dateutil 2.4.1-1
python2-dbus 1.2.0-4
python2-dnspython 1.12.0-1
python2-gobject 3.16.1-1
python2-gobject2 2.28.6-11
python2-html5lib 0.999-5
python2-lxml 3.4.4-1
python2-mako 1.0.1-1
python2-markupsafe 0.23-2
python2-mechanize 0.2.5-4
python2-netifaces 0.10.4-1
python2-pillow 2.8.1-1
python2-psutil 2.2.1-2
python2-pycdio 0.20-3
python2-pygments 2.0.2-2
python2-pyqt5 5.4.1-2
python2-setuptools 1:15.2-1
python2-sip 4.16.7-1
python2-six 1.9.0-1
python2-xdg 0.25-2
qca 2.0.3-5
qca-ossl 2.0.0-7
qjson 0.8.1-3
qpdf 5.1.2-1
qt4 4.8.6-5
qt5-base 5.4.1-4
qt5-declarative 5.4.1-4
qt5-location 5.4.1-4
qt5-script 5.4.1-4
qt5-sensors 5.4.1-4
qt5-svg 5.4.1-4
qt5-tools 5.4.1-4
qt5-translations 5.4.1-4
qt5-webchannel 5.4.1-4
qt5-webkit 5.4.1-4
qt5-xmlpatterns 5.4.1-4
qtchooser 48-1
qtwebkit 2.3.4-1
randrproto 1.4.1-1
raptor 2.0.15-2
rasqal 1:0.9.32-1
readline 6.3.008-1
recode 3.6-8
recordproto 1.14.2-2
redland 1:1.0.17-2
reflector 2014.11-1
reiserfsprogs 3.6.24-1
renderproto 0.11.1-3
resourceproto 1.2.0-3
rest 0.7.93-1
rhash 1.3.3-1
rng-tools 5-3
rpcbind 0.2.3-1
rsync 3.1.1-2
rtkit 0.11-5
rtmpdump 20140918-2
ruby 2.2.2-1
s-nail 14.8.0-1
sbc 1.3-1
schroedinger 1.0.11-2
scrnsaverproto 1.2.2-2
sdcv 0.4.2-8
sdl 1.2.15-7
sdl_image 1.2.12-3
sdl_mixer 1.2.12-4
sdl_net 1.2.8-2
sdl_ttf 2.0.11-3
sed 4.2.2-3
sg3_utils 1.40-1
shadow 4.2.1-3
shared-color-targets 0.1.5-1
shared-mime-info 1.4-1
sip 4.16.7-1
slang 2.3.0-1
smartmontools 6.3-2
smbclient 4.2.1-1
smpeg 0.4.5-1
snappy 1.1.1-1
sound-theme-freedesktop 0.8-2
soundtouch 1.8.0-1
spandsp 0.0.6-1
speech-dispatcher 0.8.1-1
speedtest-cli 0.3.1-1
speex 1.2rc2-1
speexdsp 1.2rc3-1
spotify 0.9.17.1-1
spotify-gnome-git 20141010-1
sqlite 3.8.9-1
startup-notification 0.12-4
steam 1.0.0.49-3
sudo 1.8.13-1
suitesparse 4.4.4-1
sysfsutils 2.1.0-9
systemd 219-6
systemd-sysvcompat 219-6
t1lib 5.1.2-5
taglib 1.9.1-1
talloc 2.1.2-1
tar 1.28-1
tdb 1.3.4-1
telepathy-glib 0.24.1-1
telepathy-logger 0.8.1-1
telepathy-mission-control 5.16.3-1
terminology 0.8.0-1
tevent 0.9.24-1
texinfo 5.2-3
texlive-bin 2014.34260-7
texlive-core 2014.36709-1
texlive-langchinese 2014.35921-1
texlive-langcjk 2014.0-1
texlive-langjapanese 2014.36466-1
texlive-langkorean 2014.36573-1
texlive-latexextra 2014.36706-1
texlive-pictures 2014.36605-1
texlive-science 2014.36659-1
texmaker 4.4.1-1
thin-provisioning-tools 0.4.1-1
thunderbird 31.6.0-2
tinyxml 2.6.2-3
tmux 1.9_a-2
totem-plparser 3.10.4-1
transmission-gtk 2.84-1
tsmuxer 1.10.6-14
ttf-dejavu 2.34-2
ttf-ms-fonts 2.0-10
tzdata 2015d-1
udisks2 2.1.5-1
unrar 1:5.2.7-1
unzip 6.0-10
upower 0.99.2-2
usbutils 008-1
util-linux 2.26.1-3
v4l-utils 1.6.2-1
vi 1:050325-4
videoproto 2.3.2-1
vim 7.4.712-1
vim-latexsuite 20130126-2
vim-runtime 7.4.712-1
vlc 2.2.1-2
vte-common 0.40.0-2
vte3 0.40.0-2
wavpack 4.70.0-2
wayland 1.7.0-1
webkit2gtk 2.8.1-1
webkitgtk 2.4.8-2
webrtc-audio-processing 0.1-2
wesnoth 1.12.2-2
wesnoth-data 1.12.2-1
wget 1.16.3-1
which 2.21-1
wildmidi 0.3.8-1
wine 1.7.42-2
winetricks 20141130-1
wireless_tools 30.pre9-1
wpa_supplicant 1:2.3-1
wxgtk 3.0.2-4
wxgtk2.8 2.8.12.1-3
wxpython 3.0.2.0-1
wxpython2.8 2.8.12.1-1
x265 1.6-1
xboxdrv 0.8.5-3
xcb-proto 1.11-1
xcb-util 0.4.0-1
xcb-util-cursor 0.1.2-1
xcb-util-image 0.4.0-1
xcb-util-keysyms 0.4.0-1
xcb-util-renderutil 0.3.9-1
xcb-util-wm 0.4.1-1
xdg-su 1.2.3-1
xdg-utils 1.1.0.git20150323-1
xdiskusage 1.51-1
xextproto 7.3.0-1
xf86-input-evdev 2.9.2-1
xf86dgaproto 2.1-3
xf86driproto 2.1.1-3
xf86vidmodeproto 2.3.1-3
xfsprogs 3.2.2-1
xineramaproto 1.2.1-3
xkeyboard-config 2.14-1
xorg-appres 1.0.4-1
xorg-bdftopcf 1.0.5-1
xorg-font-util 1.3.1-1
xorg-font-utils 7.6-4
xorg-fonts-alias 1.0.3-1
xorg-fonts-encodings 1.0.4-4
xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.3-3
xorg-iceauth 1.0.7-1
xorg-mkfontdir 1.0.7-2
xorg-mkfontscale 1.1.2-1
xorg-server 1.17.1-5
xorg-server-common 1.17.1-5
xorg-server-devel 1.17.1-5
xorg-server-utils 7.6-4
xorg-sessreg 1.1.0-1
xorg-setxkbmap 1.3.1-1
xorg-util-macros 1.19.0-1
xorg-xauth 1.0.9-1
xorg-xbacklight 1.2.1-1
xorg-xcmsdb 1.0.5-1
xorg-xgamma 1.0.6-1
xorg-xhost 1.0.7-1
xorg-xinit 1.3.4-2
xorg-xinput 1.6.1-1
xorg-xkbcomp 1.3.0-1
xorg-xmessage 1.0.4-2
xorg-xmodmap 1.0.9-1
xorg-xrandr 1.4.3-1
xorg-xrdb 1.1.0-1
xorg-xrefresh 1.0.5-1
xorg-xset 1.2.3-1
xorg-xsetroot 1.1.1-2
xproto 7.0.27-1
xscreensaver 5.32-1
xvidcore 1.3.3-1
xz 5.2.1-1
yajl 2.1.0-1
yaourt 1.5-1
zenity 3.14.0-1
zeromq 4.0.5-1
zita-alsa-pcmi 0.2.0-2
zita-resampler 1.3.0-3
zlib 1.2.8-3
zvbi 0.2.35-1
zziplib 0.13.62-2

[edit5] My /etc/modules-load.d directory is empty by the way, and "sudo /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load" returns nothing. Note, this is all while running Linux 3.19, but I believe it should demonstrate that I don't have any special modules running. Or so I believe.

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-04 13:16:09)

#12 2015-05-04 13:27:10

Scimmia
Fellow

This thread is like pulling teeth. Instead of looking at the partition to see what's going on, you do all kinds of random crap and see what happens?

Bottom line: Figure out where your bootloader is getting the old kernel image. Then come back.

#13 2015-05-04 13:35:29

nstgc

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm posting random garbage. It's my attempt at being useful while I wait for a reply.

Grub is using the correct boot directory.

load_video
	set gfxpayload=keep
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod part_msdos 
	insmod btrfs
	set root='hd4,msdos1'
	else
	fi
}
$ sudo blkid |grep 3873
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="aroot" UUID="3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae" UUID_SUB="cdd62d1a-c0ae-4e19-ac6d-cc6973f607b1" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="bed43306-02"
/dev/sde1: LABEL="aroot" UUID="3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae" UUID_SUB="85308e59-62ba-4675-8167-f5d2fb7f1cbf" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="e5bf7f39-01"
/dev/sdf4: LABEL="aroot" UUID="3873d8ba-9472-4d92-ab0d-e94574bd0eae" UUID_SUB="df84655d-c186-4198-a360-782fa4ad97f2" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="10e2bec1-04"

[edit] aroot is the btrfs volume that has my Arch installation, which is where the boot directory is.

[edit2] To clarify, arch is a subvolume of aroot, and contains the directory boot.

[edit3] Also, grub was using the wrong boot directory.

$ sudo blkid |grep dfa989d 
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="old-raid1" UUID="dfa989d8-edac-4c7e-b6fc-45237e6a0ebc" UUID_SUB="487be4f1-5af8-47f3-9ef3-ec6ab4dc476c" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="bed43306-03"

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-04 13:44:49)

#14 2015-05-04 13:43:29

Scimmia
Fellow

Alright, so it is now looking at "aroot" under /arch/boot/; Since root is mounted as the arch subvol, it does appear to be looking at your root filesystem under /boot. When you do an upgrade what files are in that dir? Use the "file" command to identify the kernel.

Edit: and when I was talking about random crap, I wasn't talking about what you were posting, I was talking about this:

nstgc wrote:

Well, I took snapshots, not back ups but they work well enough for this, and rsynced /boot/ to where it use to be, moved/renamed the subvolume boot, and commented out the appropriate line in fstab. I also deleted that other /boot from before. I unmount /boot, and regenerate my grub.cfg. If my machine still boots, I'll try for an upgrade.

Where you should have just taken a look at the partition mentioned to see what it was, you went off the deep end here.

Last edited by Scimmia (2015-05-04 13:45:24)

#15 2015-05-04 14:28:50

nstgc

My thoughts with that bit was that if it was using old-aroot's boot directory (which it was for some reason), that should fix it (which it did). Besides, I've been meaning to revert that change for a month now. I had to clean that mess up eventually, and eventually turned out to be this morning.

As for using file to find the kernel version. I'm stuck. I went through the man pages trying the various options, but the best I've gotten out of it is

$ file -z initramfs-linux.img 
initramfs-linux.img: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC) (gzip compressed data, last modified: Mon May  4 08:01:30 2015, from Unix)

This is the Linux 3.19 initramfs image. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing while I had an easily accessed internet to help me if I got stuck.

[edit] I can, as an alternative, cp the image to /tmp/iniramfs.gz, gunzip it, and look inside to see what version it is. I'll try this later today, although I assume this would fall under me doing stupid things as well, but it's the best I can come up with. I know I'm pretty n00b, but I really am trying.

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-04 14:33:48)

#16 2015-05-04 14:43:18

Scimmia
Fellow

... I said to identify the kernel, not the initramfs.

#17 2015-05-04 15:36:55

nstgc

Yes, I'm sorry. I see now. vmlinuz-linux. When I get home this afternoon I try again. Thank you for not giving up on me.

[edit] Okay, so I ran the update again and cd'ed into /boot

$ file *
grub:                         directory
initramfs-linux-fallback.img: gzip compressed data, last modified: Mon May  4 14:31:12 2015, from Unix
initramfs-linux.img:          gzip compressed data, last modified: Mon May  4 14:31:08 2015, from Unix
intel-ucode.img:              ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)
memtest86+:                   directory
vmlinuz-linux:                Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 4.0.1-1-ARCH (builduser@tobias) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 29 12:00, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

Now to reboot and see if it works.

[edit2] Same thing as before.

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-04 18:54:14)

#18 2015-05-05 01:08:29

Scimmia
Fellow

As I said in post #8, everything assumes you're using the "Arch Linux" entry in the Grub menu. Is that correct.

#19 2015-05-05 11:54:12

nstgc

Yes, the other Arch entry is "Arch (on /dev/sdd5)" which is the fall back. I only have those two entries in my grub menu. I also checked the actual grub menu itself to make sure that the grub entry I'm using is the same one as I think.

When I press "e" at the menu, the UUID for the root does not match the one used in the current grub.cfg entry. It does match the old one, which is odd. Currently there is no boot information left on the partition old-aroot. I wiped that. If it was looking there I would expected that it wouldn't boot at all.

[edit] OKAY! Fixed! I ran grub-install. Now the menu matches grub.cfg and everything and happy. Thank you Scimmia.

Last edited by nstgc (2015-05-05 12:04:37)

#20 2015-05-22 22:22:43

Quanttek

I have the same problem as OP, though in my case I have a raid,  where I can't just change the labels.

Last edited by Quanttek (2015-05-22 22:24:52)

Board footer