You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-05 14:16:27

barefly

Netctl Unable to Connect to Wifi - Unregistered Authentication Agent

I have continually been having issues with netctl failing to start an automatic profile for awhile now, but I have been able to manually bring up my connection once my system is up and running. Today I am running into the issue where netctl will outright fail to connect during a manual attempt. When viewing journalctl -xe the error I receive is:

WPA association/authentication failed for interface 'wlan0'
Failed to bring the network up for profile

I noticed that there is a 'fix' for this issue on the Arch Wiki which simply states to bring wlan0 down with ip link, then to start the profile with netctl again. I went ahead and gave that fix a try and got a new error.

Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:1324:44567

The error goes on to provide a path to .../PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent,.

I have tried using NetworkManager as well, but I'd prefer not to use it as I seem to have more problems with it over netctl, and that is why I currently have it disabled. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Also, I was connected to my home wifi last night without a problem, and I have tested the wifi connection with my phone, which authenticates and connects without a problem.

EDIT:

I did a bit more digging and found some startup errors issues via dmesg with wlan0.

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
wlan0: authenticate with 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 
wlan0: direct probe to 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 (try 1/3)
wlan0: direct probe to 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 (try 2/3)
wlan0: direct probe to 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 (try 3/3)
wlan0: authentication with  00:24:b2:71:b8:27 timed out

The last 5 lines of this error repeats about 7 times before stopping. I use a broadcom card and my 43xx driver loads without a problem, I've been using it for awhile now on various distros.

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found (core revision 10)

EDIT:

Well after doing some research, I found this existing bug.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44821

Involving wifi not working under kernel 4.0.1. I noticed a Broadcom card listed by one of the users who was having the same problem, so at this point I'm probably going to wait until I get home to test my laptop on my home wifi again, then if I run into problems I'll downgrade my kernel and see how things go.

Last edited by barefly (2015-05-05 16:22:28)

Board footer