You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-06 16:09:55

kRYOoX

[Solved] Keyboard layout misshap

Hello wonderful people,

I'm having a couple of weird problem with my keyboard layout.
I use a UK qwerty keyboard. But I'm French and I occasionally need some of those pesky accents. I've therefore taken the habit of using a variant of the UK layout. On Windows, it's named "UK Extended". On Ubuntu, it's "UK Extended WinKeys".
This is the layout where the backtick is used as a dead key for grave accents such as 'è' and Super/Win key is used for acute accents such as 'é' and other weird symbols (like 'ç').

Now the first problem. I've found that the commands to set this layout are :

$ setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout gb -variant extd -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
$ localectl set-x11-keymap gb pc105 extd terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

However, everytime I suspend or restart the computer, my layout is changed back to another type of qwerty that I suspect to be US, possibly a variant.
I compared the results of "localectl status" and "setxkbmap -print -verbose 10" before and after rebooting, and they are exactly identical :

$ localectl status                                                               
   System Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: uk
      X11 Layout: gb
       X11 Model: pc105
     X11 Variant: extd
     X11 Options: terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

$ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10                                                   
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     gb
variant:    extd
options:    terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+gb(extd)+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)
geometry:   pc(pc105)
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+gb(extd)+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};

If this output doesn't change, and re-typing the command I mentioned earlier fixes the problem, what could that problem be ?
I presume that if I set my WM to execute these command at start-up, that would solve the issue, but it's more a workaround than a real fix.

--

Second problem :

Even when the layout is properly set, one of my keys is not properly mapped. That's the backslash / pipe key. Instead it mimics the '#'/'~' key.

Is there any way I can manually remap this key to have the proper behaviour ? Or any other solution that you could think of ?

Thanks in advance for the help you can give me.

P.S: I'm not sure these questions are considered newbie or not, so apologies if the thread is not properly located. smile

Last edited by kRYOoX (2015-05-08 09:59:22)

#2 2015-05-07 12:18:03

onslow77

Re: [Solved] Keyboard layout misshap

Hello,

Welcome to Arch Linux!

Did you follow the arch wiki about keyboard layouts (linked from general recomendations)?

For the console - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … in_console
For Xorg - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … on_in_Xorg

Using setxkbmap only sets the layout for the current session (can be made persistant in .xinitrc), as stated in the above Xorg guide.

Regarding remapping certain keys, have a look at xmodmap - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmodmap, should get you in the right direction.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2015-05-07 12:25:48)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2015-05-08 10:00:10

kRYOoX

Re: [Solved] Keyboard layout misshap

Thanks for the links. I managed to get around my problem with them smile

Board footer