You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-10 01:28:59

barefly

[Solved...sort of]Changing grub and console resolution during boot

I recently purchased a new monitor that runs at 1920x1080, my older monitor was at 1920x1200, and when I boot now I end up with a boxed output, black borders on each side. This influences how my grub looks and how my terminal looks at startup. I've changed the settings so my WM looks and works properly, but I am not sure how to change, or update, the resolution for my boot-up process. I could use some assistance. Thanks!

EDIT:

Well I found out that I can only change my resolution in grub based on what is shown in vbeinfo when booting with grub. The strange thing is that the resolution being used is 1920x1080x32, which is the recommendedd, and max resolution of my monitor. I also noticed my BIOS splash screen is also being shown with black borders on all sides.

EDIT:

Well it looks like this is problem with OCD on my monitor, and my NVIDIA card. Looks like it's pretty wide spread without any real solution. I'll mark this as solved since this has nothing to do with grub or linux settings.

Last edited by barefly (2015-05-10 02:50:01)

#2 2015-05-10 01:56:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved...sort of]Changing grub and console resolution during boot

Did you regenerate your grub config?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-05-10 02:45:47

barefly

Re: [Solved...sort of]Changing grub and console resolution during boot

jasonwryan wrote:

Did you regenerate your grub config?

I just tried this by running grub-mkconfig without changing any settings in /etc/default/grub, and it didn't work. So I went ahead and modified /etc/default/grub on my next boot to another valid resolution and restarted. That had no effect either. The last thing I tried was manually adding the preferred resolution instead of leaving it at auto. None of the changes made any difference. It only changed the way my text was outputted, making it more or less scrunched really. I think the issue could be stemming from the monitor and bios are interacting, since my bios splash screen starts with the black border, and then grub inherits the screen properties, and then in turn linux inherits these settings before my video card finally kicks in after tty and x starts.

Last edited by barefly (2015-05-10 02:46:25)

Board footer