You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-12 03:57:54

denthos

[SOLVED] GNOME 3.16 Window Title Bar Colors

I have been fiddling with the Gnome Tweak Tool and dconf editor trying to get my window title bars to change their appearance. I have another machine running Gnome (same version) through Ubuntu and the gnome tweak tool there has a Window option available that determines the colors of the window bars. This option is not available on my arch computer. I have rolled back gnome tweak tool to a few different previous versions but none of them have the option and neither does the newest version. I have installed a number of different dark themes but the top bar of each window is still white and bright as day. I have tried to change relevant preferences in the metacity-theme-3.xml, gtkrc files of the selected themes, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. I have also tried to change some of the options in org.gnome.desktop.interface and org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences through dconf editor, but I can't get the window title bars to change. They all have the theme I am using selected, and changing the options (for example setting bg_color and fg_color of gtk-color-scheme in interface) correctly changes their relevant settings. It seems like it should be a simple fix but I can't figure out where these settings are defined. Gtk-3 applications such as the Gnome Tweak Tool are also white which doesn't seem appropriate as my firefox colors (except the window titlebar) are all set properly according to the themes, as well as my shell and icons. In the screenshot, the title bar that says dylan@arch-lenovo:~ should be dark grey similar to the gnome shell bar. The gnome tweak tool should also be dark but isn't. Any suggestions?

http://i.imgur.com/dXDxBx0.png

Last edited by denthos (2015-05-13 17:08:59)

#2 2015-05-12 11:16:08

ooo

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME 3.16 Window Title Bar Colors

The window theme option was removed from tweak tool since window borders are themed by your gtk theme since gnome 3.16.
A lot of themes haven't been updated to reflect this change, and might look weird because of that.

Last edited by ooo (2015-05-12 11:16:22)

#3 2015-05-12 21:37:32

denthos

Even with the new completely updated Vertex theme downloaded from https://github.com/horst3180/Vertex-theme my title bars and gnome tweak tool are white and don't look anything like the screenshots of the creator. What are the potential causes of this? I have reinstalled all of gnome and everything but I just get back to the same appearance.

#4 2015-05-13 10:38:47

ooo

did you check journal for errors when you change the theme? there could be some clues. You might even see some errors if you start any gtk application from command line.

you could also check if the issue persists with a newly created user. that way you could rule out the possibility that this was caused by something in your user's configuration.

#5 2015-05-13 17:08:42

denthos

I fixed my issue by clearing out my themes and moving my gnome config files to a backup, reinstalling my display manager and resetting its config files back to defaults (saving a backup), then reinstalling the theme I wanted. Then, I moved the configurations I wanted (keybindings, workspace preferences, etc) back over from the backup.

Board footer