You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-12 17:02:50

hifi25nl

[SOLVED] x11vnc without monitor connected

How to start correctly x11vnc (or eventually vncserver) without monitor connected?
In the wiki is written

"Note: By default, Xorg needs to be able to detect a monitor and will not start otherwise. A workaround is to create a configuration file such as the example above and thus avoid auto-configuring. A common case where this is necessary is headless system, which boots without a monitor and starts Xorg automatically, either from virtual console and login, or using a display manager."

However this is not working in mycase. I cannot connect to previuosly configured x11vnc if monitor is detached. X is not starting. I am sure that the driver is right.
This is a system with LXQt desktop and sddm.

Last edited by hifi25nl (2015-05-14 11:03:32)

#2 2015-05-12 17:39:52

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] x11vnc without monitor connected

Tired this myself a while back and couldn't get it working.  I have an old monitor connected as a work around.  Wonder if just a DVI plug or HDMI unconnected would work?  No idea how the board detects a device.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2015-05-13 16:25:01

hifi25nl

#4 2015-05-13 19:16:47

mwillems

The dummy config file found in the wiki worked fine for me for the xserver itself (just make sure to pick the resolution(s) you want), but not all display managers worked correctly (GDM in particular is a problem, but I've had trouble with others).  I've been able to use x11vnc on headless systems ranging from 5th generation i7's to raspberry Pis, so it's definitely possible.

It would help if you could provide your xorg.conf.d configuration, and your X or VNC logs so we could see what the issue is. 

Try disabling your display manager and rebooting without a monitor attached, starting x manually via ssh, and then exporting the DISPLAY before starting x11vnc. For example try running the following lines interactively from the console via ssh.

startx &
export DISPLAY=:0
xrandr --fb 1920x1080
x11vnc --fbauth /path/to/password -display :0 -geometry 1920x1080 auth guess -forever -bg  

Make sure to pick a mode (resolution) that's supported in your configuration files, etc. Those commands should give you copious error messages if they fail, which will give us a place to start.

As an aside, if all you want is a vncserver, tigervnc will work with much less fuss because it creates a virtual display so you don't need to mess with your xorg settings at all.  x11vnc (without addins) relies on your system's literal physical display output device, which is what necessitates all the xorg fiddling.  The only reason to use x11vnc is if you need to remote control an actual screen (which doesn't sound like your use case) or if you need the desktop you're VNCing into to have hardware acceleration for some reason.  Tigervnc will "just work" in most setups without significant additional configuration.

Last edited by mwillems (2015-05-13 19:48:47)

#5 2015-05-14 11:03:16

hifi25nl

I have switched to tigervnc and all is fine.

Before I have made the same with tightvnc with a lot of problems.
Tried a fake VGA dongle instead of compulab HDMI dongle: not working

I consider the problem solved. Thank you.

Board footer