You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-24 01:39:59

linux_dream

Using 2 DE's (lxde and lxqt), problem with programs

Hello guys,
At first I had installed lxde but then I read about lxqt and I installed it as well so that I'm left with 2 DE's to choose from when I boot the computer.
There are some programs such as Firefox and qterminal that I've installed when under lxqt. This of course created firefox.desktop and qterminal.desktop in /usr/share/applications and so both programs appear in the lxqt menu.
However under lxde, I can see no Firefox nor qterminal progarms in the lxde menu/panel. Typing "firefox" and "qterminal" in the lxterminal of course works to start the programs, but still, they don't show up in the menu while they should.
As far as I know lxde uses /usr/share/applications to build its menu. So I don't understand what's going on. Is this some kind of conflicts between lxde and lxqt? On IRC I was told that I would not face any conflict when having more than 1 DE...

Any help to fix the problem (I do want the programs to show up in both DE's) is welcome as well as information.
Thanks!

Last edited by linux_dream (2015-05-24 01:41:12)

#2 2015-05-24 02:03:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Using 2 DE's (lxde and lxqt), problem with programs

Have you tried creating the link in one of the other directories? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LX … nu_editing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-05-24 12:23:45

linux_dream

Re: Using 2 DE's (lxde and lxqt), problem with programs

jasonwryan wrote:

Have you tried creating the link in one of the other directories? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LX … nu_editing

I just tried it, but I see that there's already a userapp-Firefox-ECWMYX.desktop file in .local/share/applications.
It contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true
Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u
Name=Firefox
Comment=Custom definition for Firefox

While the one in /usr/share/applications contains a lot of lines in which there is

Exec=firefox %u
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=firefox
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+x$
StartupNotify=true
Actions=NewTab;NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;

So I'm cluseless as to why would lxqt see firefox but not lxde.

Edit: Problem solved. I don't understand the logic at all, all I did was to install the i3 windows manager and used it. It changed the configuration of some things and when I went back to lxde for some reason now all my programs appear in the lxde menu/panel.
If someone has a clue on what happened, I'd be glad to know.

Last edited by linux_dream (2015-05-24 22:31:07)

Board footer