You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-26 09:53:20

Maynight

Post install issues (usb mounting, networking problems)

Hi guys, I'm new there, just wanted to ask you few questions.
That's my desk now, I just changed some colors.

http://i.imgur.com/ASN19z9.png

The question is: how should I move now? I mean I got some tecnical troubles like:
- connecting my USB it dosn't recognize it.
- It dosn't work with all WIFI connections.
- Pacman Syyu dosn't work

error: unresolvable package conflicts detected error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies) :: xorg-server and xf86-video-modesetting are in conflict

I was wondering if there is some big pack i can install to get those basic features i really need like mounting an USB device, or some video player.
It's like now my OS is really poor, just basic.

Can you guys give me some tips how to move now? thanks a lot.
(like tell me some programs you would say "really needed" to use this OS)

-- mod edit: converted img to url.  Please see guidelines on image sizes.  Trilby --

Last edited by Trilby (2015-05-26 10:00:41)

#2 2015-05-26 10:04:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Post install issues (usb mounting, networking problems)

How did you install archlinux?  Did you follow the Beginner's Guide?  If so, did you follow the links to General Recommendations, and the List of Applications?  These are targetted directly at the questions you are asking here.  All of what you are asking about is clearly answered in the wiki.

Feel free to ask specific questions about anything you find in the wiki that you have trouble with, but do not expect us to regurgitate all of that information here for you.  If you do need help you'll need to pick one issue to work on in this thread, and provide us the relevant information so we can help you.

EDIT: How did you get the xf86-video-modesetting error?  That package is no longer in the repos?  If you want help with this, please describe what you have done to get that package installed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-05-26 10:09:11

jb.1234abcd

Regarding usb device, e.g.:
plug in your flash drive
$ lsblk
$ lsblk -f
mount your flash drive
# mount -t auto /dev/sdb? /media

For setting up net connection, go to some other Internet-connected computer (e.g. get a live cd from any Linux distro that will be already pre-setup for Internet access) and study tutorials on installation and setting up networking on archlinux.org
site.

#4 2015-05-26 12:12:33

Maynight

Trilby wrote:

How did you install archlinux?  Did you follow the Beginner's Guide?  If so, did you follow the links to General Recommendations, and the List of Applications?  These are targetted directly at the questions you are asking here.  All of what you are asking about is clearly answered in the wiki.

Feel free to ask specific questions about anything you find in the wiki that you have trouble with, but do not expect us to regurgitate all of that information here for you.  If you do need help you'll need to pick one issue to work on in this thread, and provide us the relevant information so we can help you.

EDIT: How did you get the xf86-video-modesetting error?  That package is no longer in the repos?  If you want help with this, please describe what you have done to get that package installed.

First of all thanks a lot for the reply.

I didn't followed the wiki becouse I installed Arch by ArchBang CD-Rom (2years old).

That's also why (maybe) I got the xf86-video-modesetting error I guess.

jb.1234abcd wrote:

Regarding usb device, e.g.:
plug in your flash drive
$ lsblk
$ lsblk -f
mount your flash drive
# mount -t auto /dev/sdb? /media

For setting up net connection, go to some other Internet-connected computer (e.g. get a live cd from any Linux distro that will be already pre-setup for Internet access) and study tutorials on installation and setting up networking on archlinux.org
site.

Thanks for the reply, yep I understand but I would like to make the computer recognize automatically the USB when I connect it.

Anyway, the connection works fine, but with some networks it gives problems. (for example, at my own house it works, at friend's place dosn't, kept reposting pswd like if it was wrong but we checked loads of times and it was right.)

Last edited by Maynight (2015-05-26 12:15:14)

#5 2015-05-26 12:17:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Maynight wrote:

I didn't followed the wiki becouse I installed Arch by ArchBang CD-Rom (2years old).

And now you have discovered exactly why that isn't the "shortcut" it may at first appear to be...

I would recommend installing Arch instead (what you have now is not Arch).

Also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … pport_ONLY

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-05-26 12:18:10)

#6 2015-05-26 12:31:32

Maynight

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Maynight wrote:

And now you have discovered exactly why that isn't the "shortcut" it may at first appear to be...

I would recommend installing Arch instead (what you have now is not Arch).

Also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … pport_ONLY

Ye I guess it's the best solution smile
And probably the fastest too.

Well, thanks anyway, I'll install Arch directly then.
smile

Last edited by Maynight (2015-05-26 12:32:24)

Board footer