You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-27 10:55:50

nyn

[SOLVED] KEYMAP problem at boot after changing Xorg keyboard settings

Hi everyone,

I successfully installed Arch following both the Beginners Guide and the dm-crypt guide to encrypt the entire disk.
Although I set the KEYMAP HOOK in the mkinitcpio.conf and regenerated the image, the correct keymap is not pulled at boot, making me unable to enter the encryption password correctly.
The only way for me to access my system right now is chrooting into it via the installation CD.
I double-checked the content of /etc/vconsole.conf and it is set to the keymayp layout that I want. During boot the messages confirm that the keymap HOOK has been pulled and that the keymap is set, but apparently not to the layout specified in vconsole.conf.

The keymap hook already worked a few days ago and I was able to decrypt the disk and boot into the system. Then I ran into some keymap issues in X. I played around with localectl to adjust the keymap settings for X and that's where I must have messed up because ever since then I got the above issue at boot.

My working theory now is, that the settings I made for X somehow influence the keymap hook, maybe they override whatever is specified in vconsole.conf?
Is that even possible? And if so, which files would I need to check?

And if it's not: what do I do now?
_________

Edit: I was unable to figure this out so I resorted to a new install. Didn't screw up this time and everything works perfectly now. I definetely recommend the use of a keyfile to anyone who uses a different keymap. That way, if your layout ever gets screwed up you can still decrypt your system via the keyfile.

Last edited by nyn (2015-05-31 14:25:29)

Board footer