You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-30 18:08:04

The_Idiot_You_yell@

Need help Bridging Wireless network

Hello
First I'd like to say this is my first post though I have been using Arch for the past five years, I have never actively joined the forums. Also networking has been my weakest area.

I have setup a QEMU/KVM environment with vga passthough. Currently it works well enough, but default networking is just not doing the job any more. I have been trying to follow this guide http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/bridge-wireless-cards/ but have gotten stuck at the route command. I cannot seem to translate the route to the new ip route command. I keep getting the following error.

sudo ip route add -host 10.10.0.250 dev tap0
Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than "-host".

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 2015-05-30 19:46:54

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Need help Bridging Wireless network

That article is six years old and for a different distro, hardly surprising it doesn't work.
What happens if you follow the wiki?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_bridge

Edit - Sorry, I somehow missed the 'wireless' part of the question, I don't think that's covered in the wiki.

Anyway, take a look at...

man ip

to get the correct syntax for the ip route command.

Last edited by Slithery (2015-05-30 19:52:03)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2015-05-30 22:04:15

The_Idiot_You_yell@

Re: Need help Bridging Wireless network

Yeah I've been going between so many articles my head hurts, but i am learning more networking than i have had previously had which is nice.

I looked at the man of ip route but I really am having difficulty understanding most of it.

I assume even though the article is old that I still need to use proxy_arp with tap to achive what i want?

For a little more background on what I wish to accomplish. On my system I have 2 vm's that each have their own graphics card, one for my wife and one for me. I am unable to plug my desktop into an ethernet port so i have a pci wireless card that is shared between my host and both vm's, which in default qemu networking is causing the vm's to have significant connection hits.

Edit: -

So I think I've made a step in the right direction maybe... I ran the command

sudo ip route add 10.10.0.250/24 via 10.10.0.91 dev tap0

that gave me this error. RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

I'm stumped

Last edited by The_Idiot_You_yell@ (2015-06-02 23:04:47)

Board footer