You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-04 10:41:32

Disco Dave

Having trouble getting XFCE4-Places-Plugin to work

Hey, I have xfce4-places-plugin installed on other machines and it works fine. But I recently reinstalled my operating system on this machine, however this time I am faced with a very annoying bug. The xfce4-places-plugin from the AUR installed just fine with no errors. Sadly however, if I add it the panel its say

]Plugin "Places" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want to restart it? The plugin restarted more than once in the last 60 seconds. If you press Execute the panel will try to restart the plugin otherwise it will be permanently removed from the panel.

If I start xfce4-panel through a terminal I can see the following error message when trying to add places to my panel

process:4493): GLib-WARNING **: (gerror.c:383):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(process:4493): xfce4-panel-wrapper-CRITICAL **: Wrapper places-16: Failed to open plugin module "/usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libplaces.so": /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libplaces.so: undefined symbol: places_bookmark_destroy.
xfce4-panel-Message: Plugin places-16 has been automatically restarted after crash.

(process:4494): GLib-WARNING **: (gerror.c:383):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(process:4494): xfce4-panel-wrapper-CRITICAL **: Wrapper places-16: Failed to open plugin module "/usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libplaces.so": /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libplaces.so: undefined symbol: places_bookmark_destroy.

(xfce4-panel:4486): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed

Debugging with gdb gives the following

[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[Inferior 1 (process 2094) exited with code 01]
No stack.
The program has no registers now.

This is extremely frustrating, please someone push me in the correct direction on figuring out why this is happening

Last edited by Disco Dave (2015-06-04 12:14:39)

#2 2015-06-04 13:33:29

toz

Re: Having trouble getting XFCE4-Places-Plugin to work

Just ran into the issue myself. See: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11939

Change the configure line in PKGBUILD to read:

./configure CFLAGS='-fgnu89-inline' --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
              --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
              --localstatedir=/var \
              --disable-static \
              --disable-debug

This is a temporary workaround to get the plugin working again until its properly fixed to compile with gcc 5.

#3 2015-06-04 13:51:58

electric_indigo

or

CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fgnu89-inline"

to preserve makepkg's defaults

#4 2015-06-04 19:04:43

Disco Dave

Thanks so much guys for the speedy response!

Board footer