You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-16 03:00:34

ezzetabi

[Solved] disable log messages on tty, or at least leave them in tty1

I own a raspberry pi and I installed archlinuxarm on it. But the problem I have applies also to the usual archlinux.

I often use the tty shell and there are lots clutter on the screen. So my question is, it is possible to keep the logs on tty1 or hide them?
After all if I need I can just use journalctl.

Solved, check snakeroot configuration to move the (error) logs away from tty1

Last edited by ezzetabi (2015-06-29 08:27:28)

#2 2015-06-16 09:45:24

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] disable log messages on tty, or at least leave them in tty1

What exactly do you see and when? On boot? Post some examples.

#3 2015-06-16 12:36:58

snakeroot

Re: [Solved] disable log messages on tty, or at least leave them in tty1

For purposes of this answer, I'll assume clutter means error messages appearing on your console and that what you want is the full journald log visible on a console.

In /etc/systemd create a new directory journald.conf.d. In that directory create a file whose name ends in .conf (bearing in mind that "it is recommended to prefix all filenames . . . with a two-digit number and a dash, to simplify the ordering of the files" so perhaps "00-local.conf").

That file should read something like:

[Journal]
ForwardToConsole=yes
ForwardToWall=no
TTYPath=/dev/tty12

More information is available in man journald.conf.

In this example, you'll note that I forward to tty12 not tty1. I seem to remember that there were issues between forwarding to console and then having a VT also using that console. In my setup I thus have the following snippet in /etc/logind.conf.d (in a file I named 00-NAutoVTS.conf):

[Login]
NAutoVTs=11

This means that VT12 is not used as a VT and thus remains open for use as a console. This may be superstition or false memory on my part, so YMMV.

Board footer