You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-20 04:46:00

Infected Nueron

[SOLVED] Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0

Hi, this is my first time using Arch Linux and my first forum post. I installed Arch Linux in a virtual machine a few days ago using VMware Fusion 7.1.1 for Mac. I was updating my system with pacman -Syu and immediately after the update finished I received the error message, "Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block 1056800, lost async page write", as shown in the image in this link: kernel error From what I have been researching, other people who have been having this problem received this same error on other linux distributions, so this makes me certain that this problem is related to the kernel, though I don't know why I would be receiving an error related to devices if I am emulating the system. I receive this error every time after I try to update and whenever it occurs it prevents me from trying to type in a command to figure out why this is happening, thus making my system unusable and forcing me to reboot. Once I reboot, everything seems to be working properly again (however my system isn't updated on reboot and that is also a problem because I can't install packages without updating). I am not using RAID (some web content I've been reading said this has been solved by disabling RAID). Any thoughts?

Last edited by Infected Nueron (2015-06-21 19:28:57)

#2 2015-06-20 14:00:35

Spider.007

Re: [SOLVED] Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0

The image isn't accessible, Google says "You need permission - Want in? Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more". I'm assuming you setup LVM? Please provide some details about your install

#3 2015-06-20 17:15:24

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'd say you should try to catch the first error, that might provide a better clue to what's happening.

If I had to guess I'd say that for some reason the disk/lv disappear and after that you get all kinds of disk related errors.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2015-06-20 19:14:02

Infected Nueron

Thank you notifying me Spider.007. I have changed the Google Drive permissions regarding the screenshot. I have not setup LVM though I can if you want me to. I’ve never used it. As for my install, in I selected “Other Linux 3.x kernel 64-bit” for the OS. My settings say that so far I have used 1.1 megabytes on the 8 gigabyte virtual disk. I was told by someone that since I am virtualizing Arch I wouldn’t need to manually partition the hard drive or manually setup an internet connection since that is all done automatically through VMware, so I didn’t do anything to change the partitions. The partition table is shown here. As you can observe, I also get another error here on dev fd0, sector 0.

#5 2015-06-20 19:16:26

Infected Nueron

R00KIE wrote:

I'd say you should try to catch the first error, that might provide a better clue to what's happening.

If I had to guess I'd say that for some reason the disk/lv disappear and after that you get all kinds of disk related errors.

You are probably right, all of the errors are probably originating because they are all apart of a bigger error, that is the first one to occur. I attempted to upgrade the system again just so I can try to catch it. During the upgrade I didn’t find any errors until the Buffer I/O error occurred, making it the first one to occur. While the error was occurring, I was trying to type in fdisk -l to see if disk/lv disappeared but I couldn’t because the error would not go away.

#6 2015-06-20 23:58:08

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The output of dmesg should be enough for a first guess at what the problem might be, however given that you are using virtualization it might as well be a bug in vmware. I'd say try setting a different disk controller and see if the problem goes away, I know it's not ideal but if it works should get you going.

The error about fd0 might not be of concern, if you are emulating a floppy drive but don't provide an image then that is probably expected, afaik the is no way to tell if a floppy disk is in the drive except by trying to access it, which will fail is there is no disk.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#7 2015-06-21 19:14:25

Infected Nueron

I have entered the dmesg command and saved the output into a file. I didn’t find anything in there that seemed out of the ordinary. To see if it was a bug in vmware, I had set up another virtual machine with the same settings using VirtualBox. In VirtualBox I did the upgrade again and I received the same Buffer I/O error; however, this time I was able to type into the command prompt. Every command that I had entered received an output error. I tried fdisk -l, dmesg, ls; none of the commands would work. I then had speculation that since the error occurred in both virtual machines that something was wrong with the image that I downloaded (It was downloaded using Transmission). So from there I downloaded another Arch image from a verified mirror and set up another virtual machine using the mirror image. This one seems perfectly fine. I’m not getting any errors and the upgrade was finally able to complete. I guess I just accidentally downloaded a bad image. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.

Board footer