You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-22 21:16:44

Galt42

Plasma 5 Freezes from time to time

I switched to Plasma 5 from KDE 4 not long ago, and since I have the UI freezes from time to time, much more often when doing resource intensive activities. Usually when it freezes I can fix it with ALT + TAB, and then everything works fine. There's no crash dialog, and when it does freeze nothing but the mouse will respond, and the UI totally locks (not even the clock updates). It happens a lot when using Chrome, however that is where most of my usage occurs and certainly most resource intensive usage.

Occasionally when I leave the system for a while without touching it, it will hard freeze and I can't fix it without a reboot. This happens almost every time I leave the system for a few hours (the lock screen appears, but the display is set to stay on, so I can see that the clock is stuck at whatever time it froze), or when I've left the machine streaming music via a browser (audio works fine, it's just the UI that freezes.)

I have already: Set rendering to OpenGL 3.1 in settings, added "RefreshRate=60" under "[Compositing]" in ~/.config/kwinrc, and disabled Hardware Acceleration in Chrome.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

#2 2015-06-23 07:41:21

Galt42

Re: Plasma 5 Freezes from time to time

No one? Really?

#3 2015-06-23 08:51:41

antonio_aln

Hey dude! smile
Maybe your vsync option on compositor can be causing this, try disabling it in System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor > Tearing prevention ("vsync") - Set to "Never".
There also a few options there, that can be tweaked, case this doesn't solve your issue.
I hope I was of some help.

Newbie in life.

#4 2015-06-23 16:34:55

Galt42

I was playing with those settings last night, and I switched from GLX to EGL rendering, and so far, no freezes!

If that doesn't work I'll be sure to play with some more settings, that one in particular. Thanks!

#5 2015-06-24 15:40:34

rооt

there is a couple of tips that may help
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338999

Board footer