You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-26 11:28:19

Pope Unleashed

[SOLVED] ALSA Mixer not displaying everything

Hi, I just installed Arch Linux, alsa-lib and alsa-utils, but when I go into the alsamixer it only shows the S/PDIF channel. How do I get the others? Yes, I checked the wiki, there was no notation of this problem. Thanks in advance for helping.

Last edited by Pope Unleashed (2015-06-30 11:56:23)

#2 2015-06-26 11:34:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] ALSA Mixer not displaying everything

Does pressing F6 in alsamixer give you other output options?  Is one of those the one you want?  If so, this is covered in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … sound_card

If not, what is the output of `aplay -l`?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-06-26 11:37:05

Pope Unleashed

Trilby wrote:

Does pressing F6 in alsamixer give you other output options?  Is one of those the one you want?  If so, this is covered in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … sound_card

If not, what is the output of `aplay -l`?

Ah, now it works! I tried pressing F6 but it open up display settings. I had to hold the "Fn" key and then press F6. Thank you.

EDIT: Hmm.. I'm still not getting any sound though. I maxed out all channels and disabled mute. What have I missed?

Last edited by Pope Unleashed (2015-06-26 11:43:19)

#4 2015-06-26 13:57:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Pope Unleashed wrote:

What have I missed?

Not nearly as much as anyone else reading this thread.  Give us some information here.  What are you seeing?  What is the output of aplay -l?  What is the soundcard/hardware?  How many outputs were available in the menu when you hit F6?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2015-06-27 08:35:28

Pope Unleashed

Trilby wrote:
Pope Unleashed wrote:

What have I missed?

Not nearly as much as anyone else reading this thread.  Give us some information here.  What are you seeing?  What is the output of aplay -l?  What is the soundcard/hardware?  How many outputs were available in the menu when you hit F6?

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E135 with Dolby Advanced audio V2, chipset Realktek ALC269VC.

When pressing F6 in the alsamixer there are 4 available options:

-   (default)
0   HD-Audio Generic
1   HD-Audio Generic
     enter device name

0 contains only the S/PDIF channel. 1 looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/IaeMruml.png

The output of aplay -l is:

[samuel@samlaptop ~]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC269VC Analog [ALC269VC Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I don't get any sound when playing videos on YouTube. Another strange thing I noticed is when I do a speaker test, I get no sound and this comes out in the Terminal:

[samuel@samlaptop ~]$ speaker-test -c 2

speaker-test 1.0.29

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1024:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

-- mod note: converted img to url tag.  Please see guidelines on image sizes.  Trilby --

Last edited by Trilby (2015-06-27 11:09:57)

#6 2015-06-27 11:07:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What did you do to set the analog device as the default?  Did you make a modprobe.conf file, or a user asoundrc, or a systemwide asound.conf?  What did you put in the file for the chosen method?

#7 2015-06-27 11:11:19

Pope Unleashed

Trilby wrote:

What did you do to set the analog device as the default?  Did you make a modprobe.conf file, or a user asoundrc, or a systemwide asound.conf?  What did you put in the file for the chosen method?

I didn't do anything, it was like that by default.https://www.facebook.com/?_rdr=p

#8 2015-06-27 11:13:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Trilby wrote:

Please follow the instructions provided.  If you have trouble following them feel free to ask for clarification, but please don't ignore important steps.  The F6 toggle was just a diagnostic, it would not change anything.  You must now set your desired output as the default.  I'd recommend either the adounrc or asound.conf approaches.

#9 2015-06-27 11:39:12

Pope Unleashed

Trilby wrote:
Trilby wrote:

Please follow the instructions provided.  If you have trouble following them feel free to ask for clarification, but please don't ignore important steps.  The F6 toggle was just a diagnostic, it would not change anything.  You must now set your desired output as the default.  I'd recommend either the adounrc or asound.conf approaches.

Sorry, I totally missed that, my bad.

Ok so I followed the wiki and attempted to change the ALSA config. But when I typed in the command to get to the file, I got this:

[samuel@samlaptop ~]$ /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
bash: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf: No such file or directory

I went into /etc/modprobe.d/ through the GUI and it is empty. How do I get the files that I need there?

#10 2015-06-27 11:49:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Pope Unleashed wrote:

But when I typed in the command to get to the file, I got this:

I went into /etc/modprobe.d/ through the GUI and it is empty. How do I get the files that I need there?

Create the file yourself according to the directions on the ArchWiki page.

If you don't know what to do, post the output of:

lspci -k|grep -iA2 audio

#11 2015-06-30 09:37:28

Pope Unleashed

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Pope Unleashed wrote:

But when I typed in the command to get to the file, I got this:

Create the file yourself according to the directions on the ArchWiki page.

If you don't know what to do, post the output of:

lspci -k|grep -iA2 audio
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler HDMI Audio
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 5105
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
--
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 5105
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

#12 2015-06-30 11:09:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The above is as I suspected (the above output means the modprobe approach would be impractical if not impossible), which is why I gave the following advice which was not followed:

Trilby wrote:

I'd recommend either the adounrc or asound.conf approaches.

#13 2015-06-30 11:55:57

Pope Unleashed

Trilby wrote:

The above is as I suspected (the above output means the modprobe approach would be impractical if not impossible), which is why I gave the following advice which was not followed:

Trilby wrote:

I'd recommend either the adounrc or asound.conf approaches.

Thanks, asound did the trick!

#14 2015-06-30 18:49:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

In the future please take time to read carefully.  This should have been solved with post #2.

#15 2015-06-30 19:56:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Trilby wrote:

the above output means the modprobe approach would be impractical if not impossible

Well, actually...

# echo "options snd_hda_intel index=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

should work wink

#16 2015-06-30 20:14:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Both of them use the same kernel module - so how does that help differentiate between them?

#17 2015-06-30 20:25:44

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Trilby wrote:

Both of them use the same kernel module - so how does that help differentiate between them?

I have no idea but my AMD laptop has the same cards and that configuration file works for that machine.

It is possible to set the indexing according to the PCI bus address also but that is not needed on my laptop.

Board footer