You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-10 18:00:47

Gregosky

[solved] Firefox & flashplugin

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to make firefox report different flash version than installed.
The reason I need this is because the site I used to watch my favorite series changed their frontend and clients are checked against flash version - required version is anything above 15.0
The flash version reported by flashplugin is at version 11.2 (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Br … ash_Player)
I need to use firefox and flashplugin because it works well with hal (playing drm content as described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flash_DRM_content)
So the web devs have added a script that checks against flash player - I was thinking maybe I can use greasemonkey to fiddle with that script once web page is loaded however I do not have time at the moment to discover this option.
I found I can make flash to be reported at any version by changing value here: ~/.mozilla/firefox/profile_id.default/pluginreg.dat - it works well when checking on http://www.whatismyflash.com/ however web site I'm interested in still complains.

Please can anybody advice how can I make flash to report its version to be higher than 15.0?

-- edit --

It seems there is no solution for this problem (marked it as 'closed' first).
I managed to fiddle with greasemonkey and by calling different scripts from the site I managed to overcome the original problem however it seems video does not load anyway. Well - seems Arch linux would benefit from flash plugin that is able to play drm-protected content... I know it sounds like I was expecting somebody else to come up with such plugin however unfortunately I am not an expert in programming to do this myself...

Last edited by Gregosky (2015-07-11 20:13:01)

#2 2015-07-11 00:50:05

Gusar

Re: [solved] Firefox & flashplugin

So you think the website checks for version 15 just for the heck of it, rather than the logical conclusion that it uses functionality only available starting from version 15?

Your best option if you want to stick to Firefox is using PepperFlash through the freshplayer wrapper. That way you'll have the NPAPI Flash 11.2 for the hal stuff and PepperFlash (which is at version 18 already) for this particular website that requires at least version 15.

#3 2015-07-11 15:21:47

Gregosky

Hi Gusar, thanks for hints.
Regarding your first comment - I was not convinced they have suddently started using new set of functionalities available from flash v15 (until week ago flash 11.2 was just enough) - however after fiddling with their js I found that they must have updated something related to drm prottection - so trying to cheat on flash version number won't lead to the solution.
Your second comment sounds very interesting although hal stub most likely won't pick it up...

For now my option is unfortunately to use wine...

Thanks!

Last edited by Gregosky (2015-07-11 20:13:45)

#4 2015-07-11 15:37:09

Gusar

Yeah, the hal stub definitely won't work with PepperFlash. However PepperFlash should have it's own built-in DRM that doesn't rely on old tech such as hal. But I don't know whether this DRM stuff will work with freshplayer.

Just for a test, install Chromium and try PepperFlash there, then try PepperFlash in Firefox using freshplayer.

#5 2015-07-11 15:53:57

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please don't use [closed] in your topic title, as this denotes a locked topic. Please use "[solved]" instead.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer