You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-12 14:13:34

respiranto
Website

icecat - static red loading wheel

I am using Icecat 31.7.0-1 from the AUR.
By the time I first used it, maybe two weeks ago, the red wheel, indicating that a page is loading, does not turn.
The grey one which as I think indicates that icecat/firefox is trying to connect to the website's server is properly turning, but as soon as the red one appears, it stays static until the page is fully loaded when it disappears as expected.
I've never used another version, so I can't say whether this issue is new.

I should probably mention that I also have firefox installed where everything works fine.
Removing firefox and reinstalling icecat, does not change anything.

The precompiled version from parabolas repository does have this problem as well.
The precompiled version from GNU's website does not have this problem, while the source-version prints several times the following error when compiling:

/home/respiranto/Downloads/packages/icecat-31.7.0/js/src/builtin/TypedObject.cpp:<several-line-numbers>:<pos>: error: converting to ‘bool’ from ‘std::nullptr_t’ requires direct-initialization [-fpermissive]
         return nullptr;
                ^

When running icecat from commandline, I get several SpyBlock-messages (from icecats ad-blocker) and this (when opening a website I therefor presume to use flash):

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libgnashplugin.so [libboost_iostreams.so.1.57.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

This should not be related as it's only about flash/gnash. The file does actually not exist, however /usr/lib/libboost_iostreams.so.1.58.0 does.

Does somebody know, which logs could be helpful or even what the issue could be without having seen them?

#2 2015-07-19 16:10:49

figue

Re: icecat - static red loading wheel

Hi!
To workaround gcc 5.1 nullptr issues, I've added this patch fixing_nullptr_31.7.0.patch in PKGBUILD. The precompiled version of GNU website should be build with an old GCC release, so maybe this is why the red wheel does not work for us (tested right now with 31.0.8). I feel this like a very minor issue, is a big deal for you?

#3 2015-07-22 14:47:51

respiranto
Website

Re: icecat - static red loading wheel

Thank you for the explanation.

I unfortunately have a very slow internet connection, so I actually have the time to watch the red wheel not working.

However I've got used to it.
Maybe I'll look into the source code, when I find the time. If it's related to the patch, so it should not be that hard to find, at least I hope so.
But this should be fixed upstream anyway, since they won't stick with their current version of gcc forever.

Board footer