You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-18 17:19:14

melongex

Mount cifs share

Hi!

I have some cifs shares on my NAS that i mount with fstab during boot. This works perfectly if the network drive is actually there. However, sometimes my NAS is not running (I have a reboot schedule and not running it at night).
If the NAS is not in my network my PC boots just fine, but any filesystem operations are very, very slow (ls takes for 1 minute or so)

Currently, I am using fstab to mount my sare with

//192.168.178.23/Movies /nassyMovies cifs user,uid=stefan,gid=users,rw,suid,credentials=/etc/cifspwd,comment=systemd.automount 0 0

Is there a better way to do this?

Also, an related question: I have a backup script running that back ups not only my PC, but also a share on my NAS, if the NAS is switched off, the backup script (Back In Time) assumes that the folder is empty. Is there a way to remove the mount directory if the NAS is not attached?

Cheers,
Stefan

#2 2015-07-19 03:05:25

VanillaFunk
Website

Re: Mount cifs share

i have the mount command in a zsh alias ... then when i want to mount my server i just pop open a term and type linkup

I don't know if loading it after boot is what you want but figured id toss my hat in

archx86_64 : awesomewm
https://github.com/dreemsoul

Remeber to feed the squirrels

#3 2015-07-20 00:02:37

Germar

Hi Stefan,

I'd recommend mounting your movies with Autofs. This will automatically mount the share only if you need it.

For BackInTime you should use the SSH mode. This is a lot faster than syncing to a mounted share and it will also recognize if the remote host isn't available.

Regards,
Germar

Disclaimer: I'm member of BIT-Dev-Team

#4 2015-07-21 21:05:34

melongex

Thanks alot, that helped!

Board footer