You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-22 05:06:22

Salkay

[SOLVED] No tray icons in Plasma 5 for gnubiff and mail-notification

I'm looking for a system tray notification for new emails, which works in Plasma 5. I've tried gnubiff and mail-notification. In both cases, nothing appears in the tray.

I've previously installed libappindicator-gtk2, libappindicator-gtk3, sni-qt, and lib32-sni-qt.

mail-notification doesn't show any errors, but gnubiff is quite verbose:

$ gnubiff --systemtray

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkSettings:gtk-menu-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:xalign is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:yalign is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:xscale is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:yscale is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:top-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:bottom-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:left-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:right-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkMisc:xpad is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkMisc:ypad is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkButton:use-stock is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkSettings:gtk-button-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkImage:stock is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gnubiff:22773): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_parent: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(gnubiff:22773): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_parent: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(gnubiff:22773): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnubiff:22773): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnubiff:22773): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'POPUP_menu_message_undelete'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(gnubiff:22773): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'POPUP_menu_message_delete'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(gnubiff:22773): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'POPUP_menu_message_hide'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(gnubiff:22773): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkCellRendererPixbuf:stock-id is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

Last edited by Salkay (2015-07-29 10:41:58)

#2 2015-07-27 23:33:05

Salkay

Re: [SOLVED] No tray icons in Plasma 5 for gnubiff and mail-notification

It looks like mail-notification is running, as I do get notify-send notifications (in addition to the "normal" Thunderbird ones).

$ ps aux | grep [m]ail
salkay        939  0.0  0.1 474004 24448 ?        SLl  Jul26   0:08 /usr/bin/mail-notification

However, there is nothing in the tray area. FWIW all other icons (e.g. Skype) work fine.

#3 2015-07-28 11:32:49

V1del
Forum Moderator

Neither of them have libappindicator support, either install something explicitly mentioning such support or use a QT solution (e.g. KMail or some Plasma Plasmoid don't know if one exists for Plasma Next yet though)

Last edited by V1del (2015-07-28 11:34:55)

#4 2015-07-28 12:27:25

Salkay

Ahhh… thanks V1del. I'd prefer not to use KMail, since I use Thunderbird as my client. I had a search around for other tray or Plasma 5 options, but AFAICT gnubiff and mail-notification are the only ones around. (There's also trysterobiff, which I haven't tried yet, because it stores the password in plaintext.)

Is there no way to get gnubiff and mail-notification to work? I seem to recall something about embedding some kind of container for old tray icons, but I can't remember exactly, and the links on the Arch wiki are broken. (Or perhaps I'm getting mixed up.)

#5 2015-07-28 12:46:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

Yes iirc Stalonetray was touted as an alternative/complementary systray to use

#6 2015-07-29 10:41:12

Salkay

Ah yes, thank you for that. I investigated further, and I'm not really to give up more screen real estate for an additional tray. I think I misunderstood, thinking that it was a container that ran within the normal tray. Thank you for your advice, though.

Board footer