You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-27 15:47:26

CodyFagley

Getting started with Linux Contribution

I have used Linux for about 4-5 years now and have grown to really love the Operating System.  I want to get started in helping rather than just using, but I am overwhelmed by the massive amounts of files.

I have read several guides online on where to start, but they have really only given helpful advice about the attitude associated.  I have also read that Linus strongly suggests to start small.  I think the correct thing for me to do is to start off by commenting code that others have written rather than going out and writing my own code.  After I am more familiar with the code and the pull-request process, I can start making very tiny tweaks to the code by optimizing areas where several lines of code could be less, (I.E. 4 lines to 2 lines).  I have searched through others' posts on many forums looking for an answer to this question, but have not found an up-to-date answer of my question in particular. 

I also have found that there are 2 major subsections of the Linux Kernel: Device Drivers and Core Kernel Subsystems.  I feel that Device Drivers are too far out of my area of expertise and knowledge of the C programming language.  Even if the changes are as small as adding comments to ls, I am willing to help where I can be helpful.  I understand that it is a steep learning curve and that for a while I might have to get my feet wet in low level areas of Linux.  Changing to Linux has been a very positive change in my life, and the feel of it and the community has really made me fall in love with the operating system.

I have determined that this would be the correct forum to ask, simply because of how fast and excellent the responses have been in the past.

As an overwhelmed beginner who has a strong desire to get into contributing to Linux, what is an area of Linux that is easy to help in?  Where is the best place for me to dig through first in the thousands of files of code?

Last edited by CodyFagley (2015-07-27 15:55:58)

AMD FX8350 | 2 TB HDD | 8 GB Ram | Nvidia GTX-750 | Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Mobo | CoduxArch OS

#2 2015-07-27 17:52:24

karol
Archivist

Re: Getting started with Linux Contribution

There are many ways you can help out: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Getting_involved
There's more to a Linux distribution than just the kernel.

Board footer