You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-31 11:51:14

Amanda S
Website

[SOLVED] Steam + KDE5 = Keyboard layout problem

In the past I didn't have to configure anything on KDE, it would automatically make all my applications use "pt_BR" as my keyboard layout and "br-abnt2" as the variant.
I recently moved to KDE 5 and now Steam doesn't recognize my layout, I can't use my language accents.

Well, sort of, because if I change my "Regional" (see image bellow) settings it will work. HOWEVER, I wan't my entire system to be in English and if I do change the Regional Settings to Brazil then my Firefox plugins will be displayed in Portuguese and some games will automatically be displayed in Pt as well. I don't want that, I want my whole system in English and yet be able to use my keyboard accents like I did.
The layout works fine everywhere, except on Steam.

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (the part that matters):

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "XkbLayout" "br"
        Option "XkbVariant" "abnt2"
EndSection

I made a copy of this file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d because the other one disappears when Xorg is updated. I did so in the past too and never had problems.

The lines commented out on /etc/locale.gen:

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
pt_BR.UTF-8 UTF-8

I also commented out the following line to test the effects. No dice:

pt_BR ISO-8859-1

IMAGES

Regional Settings that mess up plugins and addons https://i.imgur.com/Ho7BYEC.png

Adding Portuguese bellow American English doesn't help https://i.imgur.com/9owjvlI.png

Having the correct layouts here doesn't help either https://i.imgur.com/H03AVAe.png

Last edited by Amanda S (2015-08-01 03:28:48)

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough...

#2 2015-07-31 12:14:52

Soukyuu

Re: [SOLVED] Steam + KDE5 = Keyboard layout problem

did you run

# locale-gen

after editing your locale.gen file?

I don't use steam, but I have configured the layouts in KDE5's input settings and stuff works for me everywhere else.
You could try starting steam with

LANG=pt_BR steam

and see what happens.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#3 2015-07-31 14:12:27

Amanda S
Website

Soukyuu wrote:

did you run

# locale-gen

Obviously tongue

Soukyuu wrote:

I don't use steam, but I have configured the layouts in KDE5's input settings and stuff works for me everywhere else.

LANG=pt_BR steam

and see what happens.

That solves it, but is there a way to make that permanent without having to open Steam through the Terminal?

EDIT: I tried putting the above into my locale.conf but KDE bugged so much I was forced to manually reboot my machine. Interestingly enough, after removing those lines and rebooting it all works as I want. This is VERY odd. My regional settings are now on United States, weird too. But it works.

Last edited by Amanda S (2015-07-31 14:35:31)

#4 2015-07-31 14:34:33

Soukyuu

Amarildo wrote:
Soukyuu wrote:

did you run

# locale-gen

Obviously tongue

You have no idea how many forget to do just that then wonder why it doesn't work tongue

Soukyuu wrote:

LANG=pt_BR steam

and see what happens.

That solves it, but is there a way to make that permanent without having to open Steam through the Terminal?

You could either change your /etc/locale.conf file, which would probably set your terminal language to pt_BR or maybe edit the steam.desktop file replacing the default exec line with something like

exec=env LANG=pt_BR steam

The desktop file should be in the $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/ directory.

Last edited by Soukyuu (2015-07-31 14:38:11)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#5 2015-07-31 14:36:03

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

/etc/locale.conf
----
LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8

Edit: misread the OP. Sorry. Please disregard.

Last edited by Chazza (2015-08-01 18:29:35)

#6 2015-08-01 03:24:06

Amanda S
Website

Soukyuu wrote:

You have no idea how many forget to do just that then wonder why it doesn't work tongue

I might have an idea hehehe. But I've been using Arch since 2013 so I'm not new to the system.

Soukyuu wrote:

LANG=pt_BR steam

and see what happens

You could either change your /etc/locale.conf file, which would probably set your terminal language to pt_BR or maybe edit the steam.desktop file replacing the default exec line with something like

exec=env LANG=pt_BR steam

The desktop file should be in the $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/ directory.

Don't need to.

You see, I edited /etc/locale.conf and put "LANG=pt_BR steam" there, but upon login Steam opened by itself and from then on my system was bugged as hell. I then removed those lines and changed the same file, editing now the line "LANG=C" to "LANG=en_US.UTF-8". Weirdly enough Steam now recognizes my keyboard layout, my regional settings on KDE automatically changed to United States, and everything still works fine! I really don't know if this was caused by the "LANG=pt_BR steam" part or the change to "LANG=en_US.UTF-8", both on the same file.

Chazza wrote:
/etc/locale.conf
----
LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8

But... that would defeat everything I said on my original post.

Anyway, this seems to be solved by now. Thanks everyone.

Board footer