You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-31 13:09:50

misal6666

[SOLVED]No screens found. Server terminated with error 1

I am a relatively new user of linux. I installed arch linux yesterday and setup kde today and installed all the apps that i need. i cleaned the pacman after that with pacman -Syu and rebooted. now i am stuck on boot with 2 errors probably. the first screen shows the fifo underrun but that should not be a major problem if i am correct. then it shows /dev/sda1: clean xxxxx/xxxxx files, xxxxx/xxxxx blocks. thats it. its stuck there and doesnt do a thing ahead. when i try to Alt + Ctrl + F2 ( or F3 or F4) and then login it gives error that there were no screens found. It also gives a parse error at 28th line of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf. i would try and change that but the problem is that after this error, the login screen comes again automatically. I really want to use arch linux as it has lots to learn. please help.

here are the error pics which i took from my phone. sorry for the bad quality.

IMG_20150731_180808.jpg

IMG_20150731_180829.jpg

Last edited by misal6666 (2015-08-01 20:03:49)

#2 2015-07-31 13:31:30

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED]No screens found. Server terminated with error 1

Please remove the superfluous "HELP" from your topic title.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

Judging by the unknown directive error message in your second screenshot, I suspect you have been blindly copying and pasting config file snippets from the wiki into your X11 configuration files. Don't do that.

Re-read the Xorg pages (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/To … Synaptics) and fix your X config files (you should still be able to log in as root, if not, use a liveCD and chroot in). A hint: ellipses are placeholders, not legitimate config options.

If you still have trouble, tell us more about your setup. I'm guessing this is a laptop, and you appear to have intel graphics, but do you have hybrid graphics? What changes did you make to your Xorg config files?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2015-07-31 13:38:05

karol
Archivist

Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients if you want to post logs.
You should be able to use the tty, unless you boot straight to X.

What graphics hardware are you using? Search the wiki and the forum for the error you're getting.

#4 2015-07-31 13:59:40

misal6666

WorMzy wrote:

Please remove the superfluous "HELP" from your topic title.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

Judging by the unknown directive error message in your second screenshot, I suspect you have been blindly copying and pasting config file snippets from the wiki into your X11 configuration files. Don't do that.

Re-read the Xorg pages (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/To … Synaptics) and fix your X config files (you should still be able to log in as root, if not, use a liveCD and chroot in). A hint: ellipses are placeholders, not legitimate config options.

If you still have trouble, tell us more about your setup. I'm guessing this is a laptop, and you appear to have intel graphics, but do you have hybrid graphics? What changes did you make to your Xorg config files?

I did copy from a wiki page. May be that was the problem. I'll try to chroot my way in as i can't log in my system. I'll try and reply soon. Thanks for your help.

P.s. i am on laptop and i only have intel graphics. There are no dedicated gpu.

#5 2015-07-31 14:07:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Have you set up X to automatically start on every TTY?  If so, that should be the very first thing you change.  If not, there is no need for a chroot, just login to a different tty.

EDIT: note that if you followed the wiki to start X upon login you would not have this problem.  Check the wiki on how to set this up in a safe and reasonable way.

Last edited by Trilby (2015-07-31 14:48:11)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2015-07-31 14:44:58

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

Have you set up X to automatically start on every TTY?  If so, that should be the very first thing you change.  If not, there is no need for a chroot, just login to a different tty.

i have set up x to automatically start. i will change that right away

#7 2015-07-31 14:49:56

misal6666

@WorMZy   i was able to chroot using live USB and i got my system back. the issue was the ellipses as you mentioned. I am still a newbee at linux and somehow messed up my  fstab entries while i chroot through live USB. (I did not generate fstab through usb if that is what your first thought is). would you mind looking at my fstab?

http://pastebin.com/FPMw5VVZ

here is the pastebin for my fstab.

#8 2015-07-31 14:58:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Whoa, that's a mess.  You have several partitions masking each other as they are being mounted/remounted to the same locations, and you have some that are being mounted to multiple locations.

What is your partition layout?  What drive and partition actually holds the different parts of your arch install?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2015-07-31 15:07:19

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

Whoa, that's a mess.  You have several partitions masking each other as they are being mounted/remounted to the same locations, and you have some that are being mounted to multiple locations.

What is your partition layout?  What drive and partition actually holds the different parts of your arch install?

there are only 3 partitions.

sda1 = root
sda2 = eif
sdb1 = home

#10 2015-07-31 15:11:19

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

EDIT: note that if you followed the wiki to start X upon login you would not have this problem.  Check the wiki on how to set this up in a safe and reasonable way.

should i not start kde by /etc/profile ?  what should i do so that my system will boot straight into kde when i input my username and password?

#11 2015-07-31 15:20:58

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

#12 2015-07-31 16:14:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

misal6666 wrote:

sda1 = root
sda2 = eif
sdb1 = home

That fstab mounts sda1 on / three times - this is odd, but probably wouldn't cause any issues.  But it also mounts sda2 as /mnt/boot/efi, but then masks this by mounting it again as /mnt/boot, sdb1 is never properly mounted for a boot or efi partition.  Then sdb1 is mounted three times, once on /home, then once on / which would mask the previous mounts of sda1, then again at /home.  I have no idea if this many cross-mounts and over-mounts would even succeed.  If some of them fail, there's a fair chance that none of these will end up where you want them - and in no instance will you have an efi partition.

I'm guessing you didn't follow the wiki to install, did you?  Also, I don't believe an ext4 partition can serve as an efi partition.  Please post the output of `lsblk -f`

#13 2015-07-31 16:28:53

misal6666

Trilby wrote:
misal6666 wrote:

sda1 = root
sda2 = eif
sdb1 = home

That fstab mounts sda1 on / three times - this is odd, but probably wouldn't cause any issues.  But it also mounts sda2 as /mnt/boot/efi, but then masks this by mounting it again as /mnt/boot, sdb1 is never properly mounted for a boot or efi partition.  Then sdb1 is mounted three times, once on /home, then once on / which would mask the previous mounts of sda1, then again at /home.  I have no idea if this many cross-mounts and over-mounts would even succeed.  If some of them fail, there's a fair chance that none of these will end up where you want them - and in no instance will you have an efi partition.

I'm guessing you didn't follow the wiki to install, did you?  Also, I don't believe an ext4 partition can serve as an efi partition.  Please post the output of `lsblk -f`

i did follow the wiki and the fstab was right just before i messed up my system. by the way, every partition end up working perfectly so that is a relief. although i do not see how that is possible. it just gives me error at startup and that is it.

here is my lsblk

http://pastebin.com/vWmyDWJ2

#14 2015-07-31 17:19:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

As you can see in your lsblk output, sda2 is mounted in the wrong location - if this is a result of a recent change in fstab, you may be okay for now, but you need to fix it before you try to update the kernel.  I gather that your bootloader boots to sda2, then it mounts sda1 as the root partition (which is appropriate), but then with the bad fstab and likely nonexisting path, it can't mount the boot partition - this may lead to the freeze you describe on tty1.

But still, I don't believe ext4 would work for an efi partition.  What bootloader are you using?  What is the output of `efivar -l`?

#15 2015-07-31 17:50:42

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

As you can see in your lsblk output, sda2 is mounted in the wrong location - if this is a result of a recent change in fstab, you may be okay for now, but you need to fix it before you try to update the kernel.  I gather that your bootloader boots to sda2, then it mounts sda1 as the root partition (which is appropriate), but then with the bad fstab and likely nonexisting path, it can't mount the boot partition - this may lead to the freeze you describe on tty1.

But still, I don't believe ext4 would work for an efi partition.  What bootloader are you using?  What is the output of `efivar -l`?

the above command that you mentioned shows that command not found.

If i may hijack this thread for just another simple question. i completely removed kde plasma and then installed gnome. there is a little problem though. the gnome-tweak-tool and terminal does not open. when i try to open from terminal (konsole) i get

http://pastebin.com/AarFT9iQ

#16 2015-07-31 18:06:27

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

can i manually generate fstab or rebuild my fstab? i googled it but with no luck.

#17 2015-07-31 18:12:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The beginner's guide which you claim to have followed provides the command to generate a proper fstab.  But something else is very fishy here, if you don't have the efivars command I'm pretty sure you can't be booting with efi - but you didn't answer my question about your bootloader ... and now rather than dealing with the problems at hand, you dove into something completely new with gnome and you have yet more problems.

If you don't slow down and take a more systematic approach, no one will ever be able to help you - and I'm quite confident that upon the next kernel upgrade you will have far larger problems that you will not be able to solve if you try to brush the existing problems under the rug.

#18 2015-07-31 20:26:37

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

The beginner's guide which you claim to have followed provides the command to generate a proper fstab.  But something else is very fishy here, if you don't have the efivars command I'm pretty sure you can't be booting with efi - but you didn't answer my question about your bootloader ... and now rather than dealing with the problems at hand, you dove into something completely new with gnome and you have yet more problems.

If you don't slow down and take a more systematic approach, no one will ever be able to help you - and I'm quite confident that upon the next kernel upgrade you will have far larger problems that you will not be able to solve if you try to brush the existing problems under the rug.

I am sorry to have posted additional problem. To answer your question i used this command.

genfstab -U -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

Got this from lifehacker site.

Link:
http://lifehacker.com/5680453/build-a-k … he-process

Also i had a little error with bootloader regarding compatibility with blocklist so i used --force with grub-install at the time of installation.

Do you think its better to just do a fresh clean install closely following the installation guide?

#19 2015-07-31 20:30:51

misal6666

i think i solved my fstab. now it does not give me any error on startup and gets me straight to login screen.

link to pastebin fstab

http://pastebin.com/n9kDaN26

#20 2015-07-31 21:14:57

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

# UUID=8c9cb076-3ad9-45db-a51c-f45c4aae24d6
/dev/sda2               /mnt/boot/efi   ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2

/dev/sda2               /mnt/boot       ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2

Why is /dev/sda2 listed twice? That's not right.

As per what Trilby said, you should figure out whether you are actually booting with efi. According to the UEFI page, if you booted with efi, the directory /sys/firmware/efi should exist. The UEFI page also states that the efi partition is FAT32 formatted. On your system, /dev/sda2 is ext4 so it's unlikely you are booting with efi. In this case, you need to figure out what the /dev/sda2 partition is actually for.

Last edited by Chazza (2015-07-31 21:18:08)

#21 2015-07-31 21:38:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

misal6666 wrote:

Link:

*Sigh*  I was waiting for that.  I knew it was coming.

Follow the arch wiki - or ask on lifehacker when you have trouble because of their instructions.

See the difference with the command presented here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e_an_fstab

Under some conditions they will produce the same result, but under many conditions - including yours - these two commands have very different effects.

#22 2015-08-01 03:53:01

misal6666

Trilby wrote:
misal6666 wrote:

Link:

*Sigh*  I was waiting for that.  I knew it was coming.

Follow the arch wiki - or ask on lifehacker when you have trouble because of their instructions.

See the difference with the command presented here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e_an_fstab

Under some conditions they will produce the same result, but under many conditions - including yours - these two commands have very different effects.

sorry to have used that site for some of the purpose. I did not know back then that wiki for arch linux had every thing ( and i do mean everything) listed properly. i dont use anything other then that now. Also you were right i do not boot from efi so i think the sda2 partition is improperly mounted.

what i did during installation was mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot. so i think it would be ok for me to remove both the /dev/sda2 entries as they are not being used. Am i right?

i was curious, what did the extra -p option did when i generated fstab? what is it used for?

Last edited by misal6666 (2015-08-01 03:54:02)

#23 2015-08-01 03:57:34

misal6666

Chazza wrote:
/dev/sda2               /mnt/boot/efi   ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2

/dev/sda2               /mnt/boot       ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2

Why is /dev/sda2 listed twice? That's not right.

As per what Trilby said, you should figure out whether you are actually booting with efi. According to the UEFI page, if you booted with efi, the directory /sys/firmware/efi should exist. The UEFI page also states that the efi partition is FAT32 formatted. On your system, /dev/sda2 is ext4 so it's unlikely you are booting with efi. In this case, you need to figure out what the /dev/sda2 partition is actually for.

as you suggested the folder does not exist. the /sys/firmware only has two folders in there namely acpi and one related to memory ( it was memmap I think).

for the fstab issues. since I am not booting from eif, should i remove the entry for that?

Last edited by misal6666 (2015-08-01 03:59:40)

#24 2015-08-01 11:22:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes you should remove it, and you shoud fix the other one: /boot != /mnt/boot.

#25 2015-08-01 13:59:26

misal6666

Trilby wrote:

Yes you should remove it, and you shoud fix the other one: /boot != /mnt/boot.

thanks for all your help. this forum and you guys have been a great support to me. I also removed sddm and installed lightdm which solved the white plain screen issue i had. thanking you again for all your help.

Board footer