You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-31 16:38:03

pschyrum

Update slowed system down

hey there,

my system became very slow - I think it occured after an update. It's still fast booting, but seems to start lagging when starting lxde

Well, unfortunaley I haven't paid attention when I was updating. As I was studying and focusing to my exams, I can't recall the moment it started behaving laggy.
The pacman log for the last days shows some upgrades of xf86-video-intel and linux-firmwarea among others, I tried installing older versions of both. Doesn't help though. Using an older Kernel also didn't help.

I then took notice of dmesg's

[    4.085186] [Firmware Bug]: Duplicate ACPI video bus devices for the same VGA controller, please try module parameter "video.allow_duplicates=1"if the current driver doesn't work.

No clue whether it has been complaining about that before, though.

Before downgrading the Kernel to 3.13.5-1 dmesg also put an 'Error'

[drm:i915_gem_init_stolen [i915]] *ERROR* conflict detected with stolen region

though that now disappeared with the older Kernel. A quick research didn't help me on that..

Is there any way to figure out which package causes the system to lag? 'top' shows much CPU load, though no programm seems to take it

I would be glad for ideas,

Thanks in advance
Benni

#2 2015-07-31 18:12:16

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Update slowed system down

This is starting to sound like I am on a mission, but this smells like this, and this

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-08-01 20:21:45

pschyrum

Re: Update slowed system down

hi,

thanks for the hints.
It's starting to be rather confusing, as it suddenly behaved us usual. I updated my downgraded packages, and it was still running fine. After rebooting two times, it slowed down again. I downgraded my kernel again. It took a few reboots (not done by proposal though) and it became 'normal' again.

I'll follow the linked threads..

Board footer