You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-01 17:28:53

steelcowboy

Systemd not writing to system journal

I've had this problem since exactly July 19th at 11:24. Going through journalctl it had system logs, then a reboot, then only user logs got written. I confirmed this by looking at the system.journal file, which shows it had not been modified since July 19th at 11:24.

Recently I tried deleting the file to see if systemd would recreate it, but it didn't. For some reason user services write to the journal but system services don't. If I go "systemctl status <unit>" at the bottom it says "Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable".

Everything else on my system works perfectly; the only thing that is broken is the journal. I've also tried reinstalling all packages with no luck. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I can do to fix this? Thanks.

EDIT: I tried completely deleting the /var/log/journal directory, and then I forced stopped and started the systemd-journal.service... then it logged for a while. Until I rebooted, and now it no longer writes to the system.journal file. If it's any help, /var is on a separate partition. It seems that when I forcibly stop and then start again (restart doesn't seem to work) it indeed logs again. Is it possible that there's some race condition going on here? I have Storage set to persistent in the journal conf file, which shows when I start the service manually and it says:

Aug 01 17:19:15 athena systemd-journal[4694]: Permanent journal (/var/log/journal/) is currently using 16.0M.
                                              Maximum allowed usage is set to 1.4G.
                                              Leaving at least 2.1G free (of currently available 12.9G of space).
                                              Enforced usage limit is thus 1.4G.

Last edited by steelcowboy (2015-08-02 00:22:03)

Board footer