You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-06 20:23:55

aoeo

Drivers for NVIDIA Optimus

Hi guys!

Could you help me to install graphic drivers which keeps temperature as low as possible?
I have laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] (rev ff)

I've tried two options for my cards according to wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus).

1. Bumblebee + Intel/NVIDIA
It ended up with high temperature.
(~60C doing nothing, ~75C watching videos on YouTube)

2. NVIDIA proprietary drivers
Faild. Black screen after reboot. Don't know why. Any tips?

I don't want nouveau driver.

On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I use "NVIDIA binary driver - version 331.113 from nvidia-331 (proprietary, tested)".
Then I select Intel (Power Saving Mode) instead of NVIDIA (Performance Mode) on PRIME Profiles (NVIDIA X Server Settings) and it starts working as it should.
The temperature is below 50C doing nothing and around 55C watching videos.

I have to add that the driver is installed "automatically" through "Additional drivers" so there is no information about installing packages.
I've used Synaptic Package Manager and here what I've found:

- bbswitch-dkms
- libcuda1-331
- nvidia-331
- nvidia-prime
- nvidia-settings
- there is NO bumblebee package installed!

Now the question is, how to get similar effect on Arch Linux?
I'm asking for a simple installation/configuration manual for newbie.

#2 2015-08-06 21:34:37

AnAkkk

Re: Drivers for NVIDIA Optimus

What you are asking is written on the page you linked, it is exactly the same as when you select it on Ubuntu (this is what the nvidia-prime package does)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … ing_nvidia

Doing that should get you a much higher temperature than bumblebee though as the nvidia card will always be powered on. I can't see why you would get the opposite. It'll also kill your battery.

Last edited by AnAkkk (2015-08-06 21:35:42)

#3 2015-08-13 11:06:59

aoeo

I don't see information how to use only Intel card (powersaving mode) there.

I've installed bumblebee for the second time on clean install.
It says that NVIDIA card is off but the temperature is still higher than on Ubuntu.

cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch
0000:01:00.0 OFF

How can I achieve the same effect like on Ubuntu? Is it even possible?
Are there any programs which help decrease CPU/GPU temperature?

Last edited by aoeo (2015-08-13 11:07:25)

#4 2015-08-13 12:59:02

Xabre

You mention the temperature of 75°C, however, you didn't mention temperature of what? CPU or Nvida chip?

Also, when you select powersaving mode in nvidia-settings, laptop is using only IGP, and powering down the discrete Nvidia chip. If that's what you want (I doubt it), you can power down the Nvidia chip and use only IGP.

Even so, I don't own a laptop with your hardware, but have been playing with similar configurations (Sandy Bridge CPU + Nvidia DGP) and Arch, and most of the heating seems to come from CPU, not DGP. Tweaking your scheduler (ondemand instead of pstate, like Ubuntu does), using TLP (or similar solutions), tweaking the power saving for IGP, made it run at about 50 - 55°C on light load, which is acceptable (and in my experience, also the usual temperature for most modern laptops).

Board footer